Pregnant and Disney

Lynn2205

Mouseketeer
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place so please move it if necessary.

I've just found out that I'm pregnant and i will be roughly 4 months when i visit WDW at the end of october. I was wondering what rides i CAN do. i had done a bit of research and it looks like i can only do people mover and spaceship earth for rides. we're going for the food and wine festival and i know obviously alcohol is out but i'm a little worried about the food at the booths. are they all pregnancy safe? or is it a case of asking at the CM? i know things like raw fish and runny eggs and some times of cheese i can't eat.

any help would be great.

There are a LOT more rides that are safe for pregnant women. It would be easier to list the rides that aren't safe, like roller coasters, instead. Don't forget about all of the wonderful shows, parades, and nighttime entertainment that you'll be able to enjoy as well. You can also walk through the lines of the rides you can't ride and enjoy the queues and then exiting before the loading area.

i'm looking forward to seeing the shows and parades. i never thought of going through the queue line. DH is worried that i wouldn't enjoy the trip and that i'd be sat waiting outside for him, bored lol.

i know a lot of other pregnant women say they've been on bumby rides like safari and star wars but as its my first baby i daren't ride it just in case.

Everyone is different but I know for me, I started feeling more energized around four months. So it maybe a great time to go plus you can enjoy eating! I went when I was pregnant. I avoided the coasters and rough or spinning rides. I didn't go on the safari because it had a warning sign and mentioned pregnancy. I regretted it because the ride wasnt bad at all. I went on alot of the tame rides. Just rest your feet often. That was my biggest issue ..they swelled up horribly. I was also in my last trimester. .or close to it. Have a blast!

While I'm no doctor, I wouldn't be concerned about things like the safari.

If you are comfortable riding in a car and flying on an airplane (things faster and more bumpy than most Disney rides), pretty much anything non-coaster will be fine.

thanks for that. what about food? i've read i can't have sushi or some soft cheeses etc. as we're going for food and wine i'm worried about the offerings at the booths or am i worrying over nothing?

thanks for that. what about food? i've read i can't have sushi or some soft cheeses etc. as we're going for food and wine i'm worried about the offerings at the booths or am i worrying over nothing?
The only cheeses you can't eat are non-pasteurized cheese, and they're, for the most part, not legal for sale in the U.S. You also will be warned not to eat deli meat unless you heat it first, but the very idea of hot deli meat was enough to make me want to puke, and there wasn't much else that appealed to me while pregnant, so I ate a lot of deli meat.

Make wise choices - don't eat any food that doesn't look fresh, no raw fish, and stay hydrated.

a) Congratulations!
b) We did DLP when my DW was in her 6th month and had a great time; we had to move a little slower than commando speed, but she hung in there and only avoided the rides that might provoke her motion sickness.
c) Sushi isn't all raw fish. Many nigiri toppings are cooked prior to slicing for sushi, such as shrimp, octopus, eel and egg. Mackerel is often pickled. California rolls usually include surimi instead of real crab, and you can ask the chef to leave the tobiko (little orange fish eggs) off the top.

Congrats :-)

I went to Disney a couple times pregnant. The rides you can't ride all have posted warnings. If you are being cautious just follow the signs. There is actually quite a lot you can do. Everything you can't will be posted.

I was very nervous about the food. There's no guarantee of what is going to make you sick. it seemed with each pg I had to avoid different things. The stuff that is completely cooked is safest, like steak isn't a good choice because it CaN be cooked less than well done and potentially get you sick. Honestly the "junk food" is the safest. And while I'd never advocate that normally, but for the week you're on vacation that's what I eat. Pizza is always safe I didn't eat much at food & wine . I got Belgian waffles, fish and chips, Japanese food . I avoid lunch meats, bag salad, undercooked anything (hamburger, steak, eggs)

Congrats! I've been to Disney while pregnant twice -- about 5 weeks, and about 7 months. I didn't really slow down with either of those, other than avoiding roller coasters and water slides. Here is a list of rides that pregnant women are not "supposed" to ride -- http://www.wdwinfo.com/pregnancy.htm -- although I disagree with a couple (Safari is totally ok, and Kali River Rapids isn't too jerky; Speedway should be perfectly fine too, although I'd be happy to miss it).

Ask your doctor about what food to avoid, but don't worry too much about it - no raw fish and no alcohol are the biggies. I ate non-heated-up deli meat all the time with all three of my pregnancies.

Have fun!

Here is a list of rides that pregnant women should avoid: http://www.wdwinfo.com/pregnancy.htm

As you can see, that leaves plenty of rides that you can still enjoy. You can walk through the queue with your DH (ToT and EE are soooooo good), or you can shop or just find a place to put your feet up while you wait.

And there really aren't that many foods that you need to avoid.WDW restaurants (and the F&W food booths) has a great variety to choose from. Menus are available online. As F&W nears, you will start to see reviews of the F&W food. Easywdw always does a very good review. Now, none of this can predict the kinds of food aversions you may develop due to your pregnancy!

Ya I agree about safari. I didn't go on it because of the sign. When i went back and did it not pregnant, I realized it wasn't a big deal. I could do jumping Jacks and shake things up more than the safari. But...I'm also not an ob/gyn. You have to do what is most comfortable for you. These questions are hard because we aren't your doctor. I could say. ..go eat what you want except raw. You could come back and say. .hey sersee. Thanks a lot the chicken made me sick!. Imo the new baby books are way to strict and a pregnant person should not be in a bubble or only eat veggies. Also imo, Disney has those signs up so they don't get sued. Some you should stay away from for sure though. So congrats to you! So exciting! Just do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

I've been twice pregnant and there is a TON to do. Just stay hydrated, find some shade and benches when your DH goes on rides and you should be fine. We also got a infant mickey hat with my dd's name while pregnant.

The menus for food and wine should be up before you go. You can always google or ask your doctor if you are unsure if something is safe to eat before you leave.

I've just found out that I'm pregnant and i will be roughly 4 months when i visit WDW at the end of october. I was wondering what rides i CAN do. i had done a bit of research and it looks like i can only do people mover and spaceship earth for rides. we're going for the food and wine festival and i know obviously alcohol is out but i'm a little worried about the food at the booths. are they all pregnancy safe? or is it a case of asking at the CM? i know things like raw fish and runny eggs and some times of cheese i can't eat.

any help would be great.

The ONE person you should be talking to about this (after reading through the posts) is your doctor. Since this is your first baby, it's understandable that you are nervous BUT, some of your fears seem to be a little too much. Has your doctor said you can't eat certain foods or is that something you just read? As far as Disney World attractions are concerned, a couple of people before me already had several very excellent ideas. First, list the attractions you cannot do. And talk to your doctor about those. When it doubt, look and show your doctor youtube videos of the attractions. Also, as stated, you can go through any queue with your husband and once you get to the seater person, you just say "one to ride, one to exit" and you'll be shown the way out. But, be warned, some attractions don't exit at the entrance so if you choose to do that, make sure you have a meeting place set up or both of you have cell phones for communication.

But - the biggest hint to touring Disney World while pregnant and I will pass this along since I did it way back when - you will probably visit every single bathroom at Disney World.

Last edited:
There are some foods it recommended you not eat during pregnancy. Raw sushi (obviously, anything cooked is fine), some soft cheeses (brie, for instance), lunch meat (I ate them anyhow ;)). I hadn't heard about runny eggs, but I can tell you that I ate my fair share of over medium eggs during my pregnancies. I even drank some caffeine. Questions on what to eat and what to avoid are best left up to your doctor and NOT the internet. Your doctor will have an understanding of the actual risks vs people on the internet.

Regarding rides, I always figured it was safe for a pregnant lady to ride anything she'd take a baby on. If you wouldn't hold an infant in your arms on that ride, you probably shouldn't ride.

any help would be great.

I went to DLR at 11weeks along. I rode all the little kid rides with no problem. We enjoyed shows, fireworks and shops. These would be he no go items at the world....all the mountains, coasters, tower of terror, dinosaur, Safari and anything similar to them. They have expectant mother warnings on them. If you are past 12 weeks you need to worry about restraints and fast bumping motion since your uterus will start to move above your pelvis bone area making it more dangerous. Please talk to your provider before you go he/she will be able to give you detailed information.

As far as food goes my provider said to stay away from blue cheese family, deli items and obviously booze. I found I drank a ton of water so I needed to pack bottles with me to have handy.

As long as you are feeling good you should have no trouble enjoying your trip.

I'm taking my 7 and 5 year olds in September and I'll be 15 weeks pregnant. (DH will be out of town that week, so we decided to go to Disney for a few days while he's gone). I plan to avoid the mountains, the tea cups, and TOT. In fact, the only ride that I plan to go on that has a pregnancy warning is Star Tours. I've been on it before and I don't remember it being so bad.

Have fun on your trip and enjoy all of the yummy F&W food!

any help would be great.

Please heed the warning signs and avoid any ride that isn't recommended for expectant mothers. Just as one example: the Safari ride at Animal Kingdom. In addition to being a bumpy ride, Safari can have sudden accelerations and stops. The doctor I sat next to said she wouldn't recommend it to an expectant mother. As far as food, current guidelines for pregnancy may sound picky to some of us, but they are in response to bacteria than can be dangerous to pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems. So please heed your doctor's advice on food, and please pay attention to the warning signs for each ride. Disneyworld offers plenty to enjoy, even without those few rides.

Anything that is safe for a baby, is safe for you (that's the way I think of it - and I've been while pregnant and with a 4 month old). Anything without a height requirement is safe (and that's the vast majority). Obviously no Mountains or Tower of Terror, etc. I decided not to go on Toy Story, just because it swings you around pretty vigorously. I'm sure it would have been fine, but it was a better safe than sorry situation for me (I had some first trimester issues when we arrived and had to go to Celebration Hospital - terrible place - and tried to take it easy the rest of the trip).

As far as the Food and Wine Festival - when in doubt, ask a CM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter