Preferred vs Premier AP

Leigh123

DIS Veteran
We have been WDW AP holders for years and go usually 3x per year. We decided to spend 7 nights at USO this May at PB. This would probably be the only time we stay on site at Universal. That being said I think it might be nice on our other Disney trips to hop over there a day here or there so I’m seriously considering getting an annual pass for USO. What I can’t seem to figure out is if there is any real advantage to getting the Premier Pass over the Preferred? Other than the week we are staying we would Uber from disney. They food and merchandise discounts look the same. Sorry for the long question and thanks in advance for your help.

The main benefits would be the Express Passes after 4pm and the free HHN ticket. It's a big price hike for a family to upgrade for a few hours of EP for just a few days.

You really only need the one Preferred pass for discounts. Depending on whether blackout dates effect you, you might consider 1 Preferred pass and the rest Power or Seasonal. If you would use the early entry on your non-onsite stays you'd be back to getting all Preferred passes though.

Also to note, even just for your 1 trip the AP would be cheaper than straight up tickets. So you're really looking at APs either way. Don't forget to check for AP hotel rates when they come out for your dates.

Be sure to register as an AP holder because they offer great discounts for their resorts. It has to be monitored constantly cause I don’t think I ever get an advance notice.
If you use an American Express to purchase , they offer a passholder lounge to get free small bottles of water and chips and air conditioning and restroom. Capacity is limited due to COVID. But still good to know about.

I live in California and make 2 trips to Orlando a year. We go mainly for Disney World but love Universal. If you buy the Premier pass and go even once per trip it is worth it. We normally go to Disney World in the morning and finish the day at Universal. We love it! Express makes it worth visiting.

I live in California and make 2 trips to Orlando a year. We go mainly for Disney World but love Universal. If you buy the Premier pass and go even once per trip it is worth it. We normally go to Disney World in the morning and finish the day at Universal. We love it! Express makes it worth visiting.
Yep I was a total DL/WDW until I actually started to visit Universal Studios, first in California and now 2nd year Premiere AP happy guest.

For the cost, it is tough to beat Universal. Cheap APs, reasonably priced hotels (even the deluxe when you factor in the value of the EPs), and the connected ness of the resorts/CutyWalk/parks make it a great trip. I've started pricing out a Disney trip and cannot believe the prices. For a 3 night trip, the cost a room in "moderate" resort (What is a queen table bed?), I can buy APs for our family of 4 and stay in a deluxe hotel at Universal. I suspect that once my wife sees the bill, she might balk at the trip.

Dollywood with the Dreammore Resort is probably our second favorite. While much smaller than Disney and Universal, it is extremely well run and has that same bubble feel...

Depending on when your additional trips are planned the seasonal pass might work for all but 1 person.
Only the person purchasing the food/souvenirs needs to have the preferred pass to get the discount and all passes qualify for hotel discounts.
Make sure to check the seasonal pass black out dates. It is such a great deal if you travel at off season times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter