Pre-tripping / pre-paring for 1st ever disney cruise

ANT2304

Mouseketeer
INTRODUCTION

At the end of summer last year, my DH and I realized that our children needed a vacation. :confused3: Yes, our children. You see, my DH and I were blessed with four young children at quite an young age, and while they are the most amazing children I know, they have been the tag along to our busy travelling career, and need a trip they could be in total control of.

Maybe I should introduce ourselves first.

Me (25) Just graduated this year with my teaching, will be starting work in the fall part-time as a substitute, so that I can keep coaching in the sport of figure skating.

DH (23) Graduated last year from University with a Microbiology Degree, played four years of collage baseball, did not get picked in the draft picks for the MLB, but is now playing professional ball for an independent organization.

Nolan (7): Our fearless child. He is willing to try and do everything. He has participated in everything from piano to soccer. In the last three weeks he has done sports camp, water camp, theatre camp and this week archeology camp. I really don't know how his brother keeps up.

DS (7) Ryder: Our thinker child. Before, he does anything you can see his brain thinking of the pros and cons. He is the one to keep you on your toes. Won't bend a rule for a second.

DD (3) Emersyn:
Our sensitive child. She loves animals and princess, and was just like her mom, as a child, cried when Bambi's mom dies.

Harlow (3): Our independent child. Somedays I think she is a teenager already. She does not the help of anyones, no matter what the task is and how long it will take her. Surprising since she is our baby by 37 minutes.

Now that you know a little about us. When and Why did we decide on a family cruise.

When? Dec. 5 - 12th Eastern Caribbean St. Croix

Why?
When we were researching vacations, at the top of our list was Walt Disney World. Neither my DH or I had ever been :scared1:. True, but we did not want the same fate our kids. As we started the planning, I came across an article about the DCL and it intrigued me because it talked about fun for all ages, and how there was activities to suit the young and old. My type-A planning finally led me here to the DISboards where I only heard great things about cruising, and the more I thought about it, it made more sense then Walt Disney World.

The Reason: Our family has been constantly on the go since our kids were born, we want our first family relaxing trip for all of us, and WDW did not have that benefit for us, for everything we wanted to do. So our Kids fate is sealed for at least another year, they will have to do without Mickey's home, and have to settle for Mickey's boat. Which I hope they won't be too disappointed.

The last question of all: Why a pre-trip plan so early?
1) I am a newbie, and would love a space to keep all this new info together
2) I love to hear other people's thoughts and opinions
3) I just could not wait any longer.

Therefore, I welcome you to take this journey with us a we anxiously wait and prepare for our first Magical Cruise on the Magic.

NEXT: AIR FLIGHT & HOTELS

Therefore, I welcome you to take this journey with us a we anxiously wait and prepare for our first Magical Cruise on the Magic.

Yay! :banana: :dance3: :banana:

Soooooo fantastic! You are your family are going to have such a great time! And St. Croix to boot! I can't imagine your children are going to be disappointed by a Disney cruise over WDW at all...

Can't wait to hear all about your plans and your travels... :thumbsup2

Yay! :banana: :dance3: :banana:

Soooooo fantastic! You are your family are going to have such a great time! And St. Croix to boot! I can't imagine your children are going to be disappointed by a Disney cruise over WDW at all...

Can't wait to hear all about your plans and your travels... :thumbsup2

:thanks: I have loved reading your trip report, it is fantastic and making me more excited by the minute. Wonder if my kids would miss the Pirate Party and hang out in the clubs, so I can watch the fireworks with my DH at Quiet Cove. It all sounds so perfect.

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans!! Your children will be psyched!!

:thanks: Have fun on your first cruise, and Happy Anniverary :cheer2: Can't wait to hear all about your first disney cruise.

So, we booked our first cruise on November 5, 2008, we were nervous and excited at the same time. But with great help from you DISers it is only exictment now!!! For the adults anyways, we really haven't talked to the kids about it yet since we are sort of vacationing (not really) in Canada. (It's a work thing).

Anyways, we will do our best to explain it when we get home, and can actually look at our Welcome Package that is sitting in our mail pile waiting for us to return. (Thanks Mom, for getting me excited and then making me wait six weeks to look at it). :sad2:

Back to topic:

We booked our DC straight through Disney no travel agent or anything, therefore we are really green about everything. I remember sitting with my DH going through the form and it asked us if we wanted Air Transportation, which we declined because my DH sister works at the airport and keep an eye on sales on flights. Which she did a faboulous job by the way :thumbsup2

We did not want to be rushed on embarkation and disembark day so my DH got her to keep an eye on deals for Dec. 4 (day before) and Dec. 13 (day after). Well, I think my DH got a little carried away on the relax system, and we ended up with really an extra two days, but when you are only paying $1300 for a round trip for six people I cannot complain. (It is almost a thousand dollars off).

Our Air Transportation Schedule:

Dec. 4
Minneapolis (5:25 AM) to Atlanta (9:00 AM)
Atlanta (9:00 AM) to Orlando (11:30 AM)

Dec. 13
Orlando (7:25 PM) to Chicago (9:20 PM)
Chicago (10:15 PM) to Minneapolis (11:35 PM)

Not sure if this schedule is good or bad, but it is what it is and we will have to work around it.

My two biggest concerns:
This is my childrens first airplane ride. The sitting for that length of time doesn't concern me (we have done tons of road trips since they were young). It is more that I like to make it the most comfortable experience, with the ear popping. My DSs tend to get a lot of ear infections, and so I hope it does not bother their ears a lot.
My family has to be at the airport by 3:30 in the morning. If you knew us, you would know that all 6 of us are not morning people. Do not be surprised if we all arrive at MCO in our pyjamas.
What to do with all this extra time???? (Disers have been suggesting Downtown Disney, DisneyQuest, Sea World, relaxing). It all sounds great it is hard to decide.

THE HOTEL

Another question on the form was if we wanted to ground transporation from the airport to the Port, and my DH thought this was a great idea for $69/person we would not have to worry about getting to the port, it would be taken care of. Awesome!!. We read that the transportation was from the airport and that the Hyatt had a check-in process with DCL, so we thought this would leave of with less hassle and booked right away.

Well, here is where my Type-A obsessive planning comes into play. Well now I will be in Orlando for two extra days. With no car and staying at the airport. Sound fun yet, NOT. Therefore, I started reading posts about transportation and how people get to the ports and where they like to stay. When one DISer suggested still using the transportation (we have already paid) but transferring to a Disney Resort. We were thinking Port Orleans (not sure which one), but at least we would be closer to Disney and activities.

So as of right now we are staying at the Hyatt, but this could change quickly.

Well, there are so many questions, which in 4 months I should have answered. Any suggestions, or ideas would help!!!

Thanks, for reading and will be back soon!!!!

NEXT: A neat idea and a special gift from Grandma.

I have an amazing extended family, they are the greatest support system of my life, so when I told them we were planning this cruise they were so exstatic for us, that I was kind of sad that they were not all coming with us. :sad1:

My mother has been doing our mail duty and regular house checks while we are away. We have received our Welcome Package, but we won't get to see it until I return home in September. My mom on the other hand has read all the details on our cruise because I had to make sure that there was nothing important I had to do before I get home, but as people on the DIS boards talk about receive theirs I am anxiously waiting to read my. I FEEL LIKE I AM ON A CRAZY WAITING GAME WITH THE TRIP. I JUST WANT TO GET TO ORLANDO.

Anyways, as I put my hyperactive planning into action. I came across the pillowcase idea. Where you place a white pillowcase in a ziploc bag with sharpies, and hand it in at the front desk while boarding, and you will receive it back with signatures from all the characters on the ship. NEAT / AWESOME :idea: :))

Therefore, I was talking to my mother in-law one evening and she is an excellent sewer (she had 5 kids). She offered to sew the kids a memorabila pillowcase for the trip. I will try to give you a mental picture of what they look like since, I have not seen them and I had to create mental picture.

Each of the pillowcases have the child's name on it, the ship name and sailing date.

Nolan: Has Mickey Mouse with goggles sitting in a red racing car with a white circle with a (1) in it. With the road streaks and smoke coming out of the back of the car.
Nolan is in love with Cars. He has probably watched the movie Cars 500 times and I can still put it on and he will be quiet for an hour and half. ;)

Ryder: Has Pluto on it barking (lines coming out of Pluto's mouth) at a blue bird on top of a red wooden dog house, with a sign that is white and a little crooked that reads pluto.
Ryder first disney plushie was Pluto, and he still travels with it. I am amazed we have never lost / left it anywheres in the last 7 years. That plushie has seen the world too.

Emersyn: Has Daisy Duck in a grass / white daisy field, picking daisies. Daisy is in a crouched position trying to pick one of the flowers.
When we think of Emersyn we think of daisy and her sweetness. Not that Harlow or the boys are not sweet. She just resembles Daisy Duck the best.

Harlow: Has Minnie Mouse on it. Minnie Mouse looks like she is dancing, she has a backwards heel kick going on, and the opposite hand is raised over her shoulder. With a big Minnie Mouse grin.
This is the one I am having trouble picturing the most, but I think Grandma was thinking about how much energy this little girl has for little body.

I will try to post pictures when I see them, but I thought this was a really amazing gift. I have also, asked her to write a note to each of them, because I want them to know that they came from her, and that she is thinking of them. They won't know or see them until the last day of our cruise when we receive them back.

(NOTE TO SELF: DON'T FORGET TO PACK (PLACE ON PACKING LIST)).

NEXT UP: CRUISE INTINERY!!!

She offered to sew the kids a memorabila pillowcase for the trip. I will try to give you a mental picture of what they look like since, I have not seen them and I had to create mental picture.

These sound so fantastic! You must post pictures! :hyper:

First and foremost I have officially booked the Port Orleans Resort the day before and the day after the cruise. :love: We are going to be so close to Mickey's House but yet so far. Another time I guess. KEEP DREAMING :cloud9:

So we actually picked this cruise because of the dates more then the intinerary. We didn't want a long cruise or a short cruise this just seemed about right and December is a quite month for both of us, so the timing seemed perfect.

So the intinerary looks like this:

Dec. 5: Port Canaveral, Florida
Dec. 6: At Sea
Dec. 7: At Sea
Dec. 8: St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
Dec. 9: St. Thomas/St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
Dec. 10: At Sea
Dec. 11: Castaway Cay
Dec. 12: Port Canaveral, Florida

On the cruise we will have one formal night, one semi-formal night & a Pirate Night.

We are letting our four young ones plan the trip, therefore HIGHLIGHTERS OUR ESSENTIAL. We want them to choose the activities they enjoy best. Even if it means they want to be in the clubs the whole time or just hang out with us.

There are a couple of things that are a must those for our family:
Dinners are spent together. Even if they come for their meal and then go and play again.
Also, we plan to do some Disney Excursions with the kids. I know your thinking Ahhhhh!! If they can sit through a 3-5 hour baseball game six days in a row, I am not too concerned about them being bored. They are pretty versatile kids. (I'm just lucky I guess)

We were looking at these excursions (TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK) :

St. Croix: Scenic Island Tour
St. John/St. Maartens: Butterfly Secrets & Mountain Views

We can't book our excursions until 90 days before our cruise, so that is approximately around the 20th of September.

One last thing, I thought I would introduce you too my wonderful children / planners of this trip.

My toothless boys. Nolan is on the left & Ryder is on the right
blgal1178.jpg

Harlow is on the left & Emersyn is on the right. (Sorry, it is the only one I have on my laptop.) They are identical so Harlow pretty much looks the same as Emersyn if that helps.
blgal715.jpg

Great report - great idea to let the kids do the planning - and beautiful children. Can't wait to read more - and see more pics.

Great report - great idea to let the kids do the planning - and beautiful children. Can't wait to read more - and see more pics.

:thanks: It was important for my kids to plan this, because it is really their vacation. Just for example, we have been in Canada since the middle of May. My DSs were pulled out of school and were tutored / home school for the rest of their grade one year and will be for the beginning of Grade 2. Thank god, we have such an amazing support system here and at home. They are now enrolled in summer camps, until the middle of August, which they have made lots of friends, and spend most evenings in a ballpark. We have never really given them the choice, they just comply, so I want them to have the choice, it will mean a lot more for them and my DDs (they are just a little too young to understand yet).

Thank you for reading. Your little girl is adorable and have fun on your cruise, and can't wait for another trip report.

I thought I would share with you my Budget and Packing Worksheets. If there is anything you think we should add just let me know. If you would want a copy just PM me with your e-mail address and I can send it to you. I can send it in PDF or Excel worksheet. Please specify. I will remove my names from the packing list also.

Disneybudget.jpg

PackingList_Page_1.jpg

PackingList_Page_2.jpg

PackingList_Page_3.jpg

This week has been crazy. In Canada, they have a holiday in August called a civic holiday, so stores and shops are only open Sunday hours. Most people here take a weekend trip away, so the city was quite.

For some reason, this also meant that my DSs camp was closed down for the week, which meant that they would be spending the week at home with us. The DDs still had half day camp every morning starting on Tuesday so I was with 50% kids half day.

Therefore, Mommy's planned extra-curricular activites had to kick into play. Yaaaah!!!

So one, of those extra-curricular activities included going shopping. Why not? We went to this lovely bookstore in the basement of this mall, and picked up a couple of new books, my kids love to read, and make-up stories with books, so they each got like ten new books of their choosing. (IT must be all the car trips).

My newest book those is PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line and Its Ports of Call 2009. I would recommend this book for anyone, planning a disney cruise. It has been so, so, so helpful. It has every port that disney travels with excursion info, restaurant reviews, everything and anything disney:goodvibes

AND if you are like me and CAN'T read her WELCOME PACKAGE until we get home in SEPTEMBER :sad1: It helps fill the void :littleangel:

Also, this week we had a picnic in the park with a teammate's wife and daughter and got to talking about the cruise. Honestly, if anyone will give me an ear I will talk about it forever. Anyways, I must of talked about very highly, because she called me the next day, and started asking me more questions, which led, to her saying would you like some company, which led to me running down the hall to her suite, which got us on the phone with Disney, and she and her family is booked and confirmed.

We changed our room assignments around so we would all be nearby, AND THEN STARTED DOING THE HAPPY DANCE!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

It will be so nice to have another family we know on this trip. We have travelled with this family quite a bit in the last two years, and it is great they will be joining us on a trip that does not involve cruising around in a car. I am genuinely looking for a relaxing trip that I know the kids will enjoy.

Our new shipmates:

Ronald (26), Kristyn (25) & Jerzie (10 mths. (14 mths. on the cruise)).

We are so excited, but for now all of us will have to enjoy our two week holiday down in Chicago.

Everything sounds wonderful!! Your children are beautiful!! It is great that you will be traveling with another family-that makes it all the more fun!!!

You are sooooo going to enjoy this cruise!!!! Your lists are great!! So organized - but then you'd have to be to have 4 little ones and travel like you do!!!!!!!!

So far, so good...and I mean REALLY good!

I am enjoying your report since we are in the earliest stages of planning our very 1st cruise ever...

Check out my countdown clock below for an idea as to just how far ahead we are planning.....

however, I can tell you that I have copied and pasted many many pages from DIS onto WORD and have about 9 million pages bookmarked....

looking forward to learning from your experiences....

and by the way, cute kids!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything sounds wonderful!! Your children are beautiful!! It is great that you will be traveling with another family-that makes it all the more fun!!!

:thanks: My DH and I are quite exciting. Just counting down the days, until we get home and tell our kids!!!

Loved your lists, I am a list girl myself!

You are sooooo going to enjoy this cruise!!!! Your lists are great!! So organized - but then you'd have to be to have 4 little ones and travel like you do!!!!!!!!

:thanks: I really could not live without my lists, my blonde would probably kick into overdrive and I would leave half of it behind.

So far, so good...and I mean REALLY good!

I am enjoying your report since we are in the earliest stages of planning our very 1st cruise ever...

Check out my countdown clock below for an idea as to just how far ahead we are planning.....

however, I can tell you that I have copied and pasted many many pages from DIS onto WORD and have about 9 million pages bookmarked....

looking forward to learning from your experiences....

and by the way, cute kids!!!!!!!!!!!

:thanks: I'm glad to help anyway I can.

Which cruise our you taking?? I would love to hear about all you have learned so far and planned even those it seems a light year away??? I promise it will zoom by.

I started doing exactly the same thing you did, I think I totaled about 45 pages of information that I could not find the info. anymore. I hope you are keeping it more organized then I did.

:thanks:

The last time I posted!!! I told you that my friends and her daughter were joining us. Well, we have now 5 more wonderful people joining us know. I am so glad Disney is so patienced because we yet had to phone disney again to change room assignments, It is going to be a party on Deck 7.

I highly recommend if you have any questions or concerns to call Disney directly themselves. They are so patience and will do their best to accomendate you. They truly want it to be a magical experience.

The newcomers:

Kevin (29), Melissa "Mel" (26), Lily (10), Curtis (5), Payton (3) This is truly a blessing in disguise, this family has helped us out so much in transition to living on the road for 5 mths. of the year.

An update on the planning:

Since we are all coming from all corners of the US, we have decided to all stay at the Port Orleans the day before the cruise, and meet up for dinner at a restaurant "yet to be determined"

We are no longer taking Dinsey Transportation to the Port & back but have booked to Limos, a guy & girl limo. SO EXCITED!!!!!

We have also decided that during the excursion days, the boys really wanted to golf in st. Croix & St. Thomas, so us girls, are trying to debate whether to do beach excursions with the kids or some touring!!!

SEA DAYS those are directly for the kids to plan, except for little Jerzie, which we are still debating when the best time for her to have play time at Flounders.

We have also decided that we will not book PALO or SPA TREATMENTS :scared1::scared1: This could change those, but we do not want to force the kids into the clubs if they do not want to be there.

I will try in the next few days to have my friends log on and talk about some of what they are planning. Even those, most of it has been group planning, gives me an excuse to talk to my girls :cutie:

I love cruising with a group. We cruised with 20 on our first 4-day and 15 on our second 4-day. I was a bit concerned when it came to our 7-day since there were only four of us, but we joined our cruise thread which was awesome and made loads of friends on there. We all had special lanyards and it was like one big party on board. We were always running into someone with "our" lanyard which was an opening to conversations all around the ship. We still communicate with many of our old shipmates and will see some of them again on the WBTA next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter