Pre-school age - favorite rides

AndreAggie

DIS Veteran
What are some of the favorite rides for 4-5 year olds? Our son is over 40" tall and 4 years old (almost 5). He's not a daredevil by any means, so I don't see him riding the big roller coasters or ToT.

Peter Pan
Dumbo
All carousels
Toy Story Mania
Buzz Lightyear
Star Tours
Radiator Springs Racers

Don't have kids myself so maybe this is way off base, but what about Bug's land rides. Would those be too baby-ish for him? Also, maybe Golden Zepher and Silly Swings at DCA?

My son's favourite was gadget's go coaster. We would always head to toontown right when it opened and walk, quickly, over to gadgets. On a good day we could ride a few times before it got busy.

After that his next favourite was buzz lightyear astro blasters

Autopia, son could not get enough of the power of moving a steering wheel. It was the highest frequented ride after dark rides were a no-go!!!!!

May daughter is a dare devil so her favorite rides are all the "mountain rides" BUT I would try thunder mountain if he saw it first and was interested. It's probably the tamest of all the roller coasters.
After the bigger rides she loves Caseys juniors train ride, Alice in Wonderland, really everything in fantasyland. Pirates has two drops but otherwise is a favorite. Haunted mansion, Winnie the pooh.....it's kind of hard to go wrong at this age with rides!

At this age I would not rule anything out. My 3rd is by no means a daredevil, but when it comes to rides (at Disney only) he is game for anything!

Have a magical time!

The ones my son who was 3 at the time (oct 17ish turned 4 dec 23) could ride over and over. Were radiator springs, toy story, astro blasters, big thunder and splash.

He also loved anytging we tried. We did not do things like Matterhorn, space mountain, tot or screaming.

My nephew who is not a fast ride kind of kid loved radiator springs and all the slow rides.

My 4yr old is not yet 40". His favorites are:

DL:Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Nemo, Peter Pan

DCA: Mater's, Luigi's, Monster's Inc

He's soooo close to 40"! I can't wait to take him on Radiator Springs Racers and Star Tours!

My son is the same age! His favorite rides are all the rides in Cars Land, Silly Swings, the bumper cars in Bugs Land, Toy Story, Star Tours, Dumbo, Peter Pan and Mr Toad.

Perfect! I'm not big on roller coasters (husband is), but am willing to try big thunder mountain. All the others I pretty much expected... didn't realize there are bumper cars...he's going to love that!!

I just went to an almost 5 year old and she ended up riding almost everything her height would allow. She had been there when she was 3 and we were anticipating that she's like some of the "bigger" rides this time, but we weren't really sure how much (she had kind of a mixed reaction when she went to a local theme park with kid's roller coasters). We started "small" (Goofy's Sky School) and worked up to Space Mountain. Of the ones she could ride, we skipped Matterhorn (forgot about it in truth), ToT, and HM. We also skipped Screamin' and Indy, but she didn't make the height requirement for those, otherwise she probably would have tried Screamin' (not sure about Indy).

Her favorite "thrill" rides were RSR (by far, this was her favorite), Goofy's Sky School, Big Thunder, Star Tours, and Splash Mtn. Her favorite "non-thrill" rides were Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Jr, Little Mermaid, and every character meet and greet we could find.

We had Southern California Select Annual Passports when my daughter was 3, 4 and 5 so we went just about once a month during that age range. She is still very shy of "big kid" rides. These are the things we did over and over:

ALL the dark rides in Fantasyland. Nothing spooked her.
it's a small world again and again and again and again...
character meet and greets
all of Toontown except Gadget's Go Coaster - she still refuses to ride it
Autopia
Buzz Lightyear
vehicles up and down Main Street
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Tarzan's Treehouse
Haunted Mansion (she was nervous but decided to do it and LOVED it)
fireworks
Fantasmic! (I know some little ones get freaked out but she LOVED it)
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Tom Sawyer's Island
Canoes
stage shows
parades
Monsters, Inc.
Everything in A Bug's Land
Toy Story Midway Mania
Ariel's Undersea Adventure
Disney Junior Live on Stage (it was Playhouse Disney back then)
the Animation Building
Aladdin
Pixar Parade
Midway Games
Soarin' Over California (IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL! she yelled)
Redwood Creek Exploration Trails
Blue Sky Cellar
World of Color
STATIONARY car on Mickey's Fun Wheel

I'm betting your little one would love the new Frozen stuff over at CA as well, but that wasn't available when my kid was that little.

DS6 is a daredevil and rode everything he was tall enough for (including TOT at 3). My youngest DS5 is more timid. He actually loves Goofy's and Big Thunder. For Big Thunder, to ease him into it...we rode three of us in a seat (my parents were with us). So it was Nana, DS5 and me. That way he didn't slide around as much on the turns. Don't know if that's an option for when you are there.

Also, DS5 loves RSR, but some of the "dark" parts scare him. I actually think it's the noise level that scares him. The Mack part at the very beginning and the Frank the combine tractor part scare him the most. If you plan to take him on RSR, you might want to watch a video of it so you know when these parts are coming and can let your DS know. That's what I do. I tell him that part is coming up. He will usually cover his eyes ;)

Other favorites are by far Autopia! And Buzz Lightyear. They enjoy Monsters Inc too. And the teacups and both carousals. Rockets are always a hit too. And my boys love all the dark rides too. Tom Sawyer Island is another favorite :goodvibes

My 4 year old is tall for her age. She is 47" now and will be almost 5 when we go in February. She is so excited to ride the "big girl" rides she hasn't done before. She talks about tower of terror daily LOL.

that being said, last time we went she was shorter and her faves were: Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo, Space Mountain, carousel was great because her older sister could do Screamin while she rode the carousel, and she loved Soarin.

I too love Soarin' and I think he would too. Unfortunately it's in refurb when we're there....so disappointed!!

I do plan on showing him videos of some of the "scarier" rides to help prepare him. He likes Cars and I think he'll be ok on RSR, but I want him to be ready for Frank.

Thanks everyone! 3 weeks from yesterday and we'll be in the parks!

We will be there when Soarin is in refurb and are bummed too! We love that ride! There are actually a lot in refurb while we are there but we've decided to try other things we always want to do and never have done. Should still be an awesome time.

As for Racers, she did go on that last time and was a little nervous because it goes pretty fast. Of course by the end she wanted to do it again!!

Have a blast!! There is nothing like seeing your kids at Disney. Magical!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter