Pre-Existing Condition Travel Insurance

middlesista

Mouseketeer
Hi - We had to cancel a vacation last year and am hoping to be well enough to travel next fall. Was wondering if anyone has information about a good carrier for travel insurance for pre-existing health issues?

:thanks:

Coverage can vary widely among travel insurance providers. It's best to carefully read their terms, exclusions, and definitions to understand what is covered and what is not for each company, and often they offer several types or levels of coverage.

That said, pre-existing conditions can sometimes also be chronic conditions, and several reputable companies offer a "waiver" of that chronic condition under cerain circumstances with slightly higher cost policies. Again, exact terms vary, but usually you must be healthy enough to travel for your dates at the time of the trip booking, not booking against a doctor's advise, and must purchase the insurance within a short time of making your initial deposit for the waiver to qualify (This might be at time of deposit, or within 7 or 14 days of your deposit or that condition will not be covered). A big factor is that the condition is stable and you have not changed medication, treatments, seen a doctor or should have seen a doctor for any complaints with that condition for a certain period of time (usually 60 to 90 days on policies I have seen) before the trip is booked and insurance is purchased.

If the condition is stable with no changes in treatment for the look-back period before you book your trip and purchase the insurance, you are generally covered for anything that comes up AFTER the policy effective date, which is usually the purchase date or the day after purchase. If you do NOT have a stable condition when you book and deposit your trip it may be hard to find coverage.

There are still some cases where coverage could be denied. It really depends on the type of condition itself, and on the insurance underwriters for your policy and the medical information they get from doctors and hospitals when a claim is made.

Travelex Insurance is a long time well regarded trip insurance company, there are many others.

I definitely recommend that you call to speak with the company before purchasing insurance, to make sure you have the coverage you want/need. There are travel insurance comparison websites that will list multiple policy options based on information you provide. Then you can call to ask specific questions about "what if..." Also, be sure you are getting what you want. As mentioned, many policies will cover pre-existing conditions (PEC waiver) if purchased within a few days of making a deposit. One tip -- be sure you can prove you are healthy enough to travel at the time you purchase the insurance, as it may be required if submitting a claim due to a PEC.

Enjoy your vacation!

Go to insuremytripdotcom, where you can easily compare policies. They are also very helpful. I do not recommend TravelGuard. I used to, but I had to file two small claims in the past two tears and it was a nightmare dealing with them. One has never been paid; I just got too frustrated dealing with them.

You may want to price the vacation 2 ways once you have an insurance quote. If you book a hotel which allows you to cancel up to 24 hours before check-in and buy tickets once you're there, you may pay a little more, but the difference might still be less than the insurance premium. Refundable airfare is usually much more than nonrefundable, but depending on their airline's policy on credits you may not be out that much if you forgo the airfare and don't incur any other expenses if you have to cancel.

1) When you inquire, ask VERY specific questions.
2) Let's face it, why would a company issue coverage with a high chance of a claim?
3) You might get lucky.
4) But, ALWAYS read the fine print.

NOTE: I have traveled extensively on business and pleasure, and have not found a good policy for pre-existing illnesses (during the trip). Doesn't mean it does not exist, it just means I haven't found it.

1) When you inquire, ask VERY specific questions.
2) Let's face it, why would a company issue coverage with a high chance of a claim?
3) You might get lucky.
4) But, ALWAYS read the fine print.

NOTE: I have traveled extensively on business and pleasure, and have not found a good policy for pre-existing illnesses (during the trip). Doesn't mean it does not exist, it just means I haven't found it.

Great Advice -thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter