• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre-Disney diet plans?

jelloarms

DIS Veteran
Just curious as to does anyone here diet before going to Disney?

I am trying to loose about 30 lbs before my tentative March trip and I know I can do it with lots of will power. But even before, from the time I was 13, I always found myself trying to loose a few lbs. before Disney because it's almost impossible to not gain weight on vacation.

I am aiming to loose 5lbs a month and I hope to be at my goal weight by the holidays.

I've been walking on the treadmill 3x a week since january, and have lost 20 lbs. I'm not where I want to be, but the walking does help your body get used to the walking. I've been watching what i eat also. Just the simple diet and exercise stuff!! :) Good luck!

Good luck! You can do it! It just lost 15 pounds in the last three months. So 5 pounds a month is a good goal to have. We are going to Disney in August and I am hoping to keep off as much as I can between now and then. :goodvibes

I try to watch the sugar, since I know I'm going to pig out on sweet snacks during my Disney stay.

My diet plan is Disney. I lose weight every time I go there. No matter how much I eat while I'm there, I always lose. Must be all the walking.

I have been to WDW pooh size many times however there is a chance dh and I can go during Christmas 2010. I decided that I was tired of being the biggest in the picture so at the end of January I started a life change. I am down by 36 pounds but I seem to be stuck. I have about 40-60 pounds to go before November 28th. I really need to increase my exercise or I won't get this done.

I am trying to lose weight also before our August trip - firstly, I know that carrying extra weight in those conditions is going to be really hard and, secondly, I am still trying to shed the weight I put on during our last Disney trip :rolleyes:

I have approximately 13 lbs to lose before August (although I want to lose roughly 25 lbs in total). Other than following WW, I am struggling with what exercise to do/how else to lose some weight. I don't have time (or the money) to go to a gym and I do try to do Wii Fit at least 3 or 4 times a week but it's pretty low intensity exercies. I really need some proper fat-burning solutions :thumbsup2

Weight loss is simple, and should remain so. People try too much to complicate it with fad diets and magic pills.

Reduce calorie consumption and burn more calories. Thats the start. Once you get your body used to exercising and your daily diet has been adjusted, you can start down a road to a more healthy lifestyle where you aren't dieting anymore, you're just eating.

Eating a healthy breakfast every morning, not eating a late dinner, snacks consisting of fruits and vegetables, eating lean meats, using brown rice and wheat pastas, olive oil insetad of butter, maragarine insetad of butter etc etc etc. It takes a lifestyle to have a true succesful diet.

That being said, you can do it. Its never too late to start. Yes, sometimes it seems hard. Yes, sometimes it seems confusing. BUT, always remember, the hardest part is deciding you want to change your lifestyle and sticking to your plan. When things get confusing, just remember how simple it is. Burn more calories, eat less calories.

yep me too...I always try to lose a little before any vacation...because you know you will be eating differently and I would like to look somewhat decent in my bathing suit. I just started the cinch plan 2 weeks ago and so far have lost 5lbs so hopefully I can lose 20lbs by the time my trip comes around on July 25th. Well thats my goal anyway.:beach:

I am on my post and pre disney diet :). I have lost about 38 Lbs. since the end of October. I've been to disney in Dec. with free dining and on vacation in March, plus holidays and survived. We will be going in September for free dining again. Get moving if you can walk or treadmill just keeping your body active is a plus even if it's just a little bit. Drink lots of water and make good food choices and portion control. However, you need to eat, for a while I wasn't killing myself working out and drinking water and not losing. I wasn't eating enough so once I added more food it came off again. There are lots of great support websites out there with great information. Some days it's not easy and you may fall off the wagon because I have. Just dust yourself off and keep going. Think how great you'll look in all your Disney vacation photos!!!! YOU CAN DO!!

I totally agree with LSUfan. This shouldn't be about a diet for Disney, but a lifestyle change. Make the changes and have your body looking/feeling the way you want...year round!!

You may want to check out the WISH threads here on the DIS. They are a great help/support for people trying to get healthy.

I agree with the poster that said weight loss should be simple: decrease caloric consumption, increase caloric burn. But for someone who has been working on a genuine lifestyle change for some time - this is the part that is hard.

Bad habits are hard to break! Let's face it, we all know the right things to do, its the doing them that is hard.

Good for all of you that are trying to lose the weight for Disney. I do it and actually lose it every year (of course, then I gain it back).

This year, I say that we all aim to lose it for Disney and aim to keep it off until next year's trip! :cheer2: Who's with me?

PS - sorry for my hijack attempt!

How is the last suggestion not a "fad" diet. If anyone is at least a little tiny bit interested in personal health and do a little tiny bit of personal research on foods their eating, they would know that butter is ALWAYS better than margarine and vegetable hydrogenated overly processed spreads.
They would also know that calorie reduction only works short-term and causes significant muscle loss along with whatever fat and water you manage to loose.
If you decrease your intake of good fats by ONLY eating lean meats and fat free spreads, fat free milk, etc, etc...you will eventually meet a not so pleasant lady depression. At that point, you will most likely decide to forgo everything you've been doing before to loose the weight and will probably go on a month-long binge until you gain all the weight back.
Sounds like a pretty cookie-cutter recipe for disaster that unfortunately too many of us repeat time after time.
How about we actually think about our health as a number 1 priority, and weight-loss as a cherry on top? Once we start treating our bodies with love and respect, we might just find everything else falling into place on its own.

I have cut down on Diet Soda and increased water (drink 3 bottles a day). I can see and feel a difference after only a month. Also replaced chocolate:love: with fruit.

Take a stroll on over to the WISH board... there are a lot of others around here trying to lose weight too! :)

I lost about 25lbs using the South Beach Diet- now I don't still follow it to the T but I maintained a lot of the healthy habits I learned on the diet. Lean meats, good fats (like olive oil) lots of veggies, lots of water, try to keep sugar to a minimum, whole grains, etc. I generally live pretty healthy now (good cholesterol is through the roof, bad is incredibly low, etc etc). I do however want to lose those last 5-10lbs which is really hard because I'm already at a normal weight for my height and it takes a lot more effort than the first 25.

I exercise about 60 minutes a day 6 days a week and run 3 of those days/week (averaging 10-12 miles per week, would like to get to 15-18).

I start everyday with oatmeal that has some dried fruit, flax meal and wheat germ in it. I gave up coffee (and esp the creamer that goes in it), I eat lean meats, use olive oil, eat nuts or triscuits for snacks, I count out my servings, I satisfy my sweet tooth with ff sf fudgsicles, I keep breads and pastas to a minimum. [now this is on weekdays... weekends I end up slipping which is where my problems arise!!!]

Don't jump into a crazy exercise plan but increase gradually. Try tracking your calories on a site like sparkpeople.com. Many people don't even realize how much they're eating until they track it.

I talked to my doctor about this just yesterday. He pretty much said cutting calories and eating right CONSISTENTLY is the only way I'm going to kick these last few. To lose a significant amount of weight (20+ pounds) even small lifestyle changes will start to make a difference.

I have to disagree with chocolatechip above when he/she says that cutting calories will only work short term. Or well, maybe I agree- it depends on the context. Drastically cutting calories and losing weight too fast is dangerous for sure. But if you're eating 2500 calories/day you need to permanently cut your calories. I cut my calories for a while, continue to work out like I am, and eventually I get used to that weight and can stand cheats here and there and still maintain the same weight. If I start to creep up (which has happened ~3 times in the past 5 years), I get a handle on my calories again. As you become healthier and build more muscle (through strength training) your body will start to burn more calories too. It's a balancing game and you need to know what you're eating. Too many people are eating WAY more than they should or they think they are. This also depends on the person, someone I know eats 2500 normally and 2000 to lose (she's taller and weighs less than me). I won't lose unless I'm eating an average of 1300-1400. I've cut my calories over the years and built muscle with strength training. I have seen no loss in muscle when I cut calories as long as I'm still nourishing my body to account for what it needs to support that.

Oh and drink tons of water ;)

I didn't diet but I did walk a lot, pretty much on my elliptical, to prepare for all the walking that you have to do at Disney, so technically this burns off calories too like a diet...

I need Help :confused3

I've followed most of everyones advice, walking eating better and of course gallons of water and I've lost a miserable 4lb in 3 months.

Does anyone else have any more ideas?

I don't have long before my big trip and I'm getting desperate, my friend who is doing the same as me has lost 19lb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter