Pre and Post Cruise in Galveston - Coming from HOU (Hobby)

hurleysweety

DIS Veteran
Okay, I know there are a lot of threads about this - getting to port from Galveston, so I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. I couldn't find anything recent or answers to some of these unique questions. Most people on here have provided experiences for their big families or groups so that hasn't helped, unfortunately, for just two people. Too bad there aren't more people going with us, looks like we could get a bargain!

Us: First time cruisers, late 20s, no kids. Booked on the 7 night Wonder to the Bahamas in Oct. 2013.

Pre-Cruise:
Because of a great sale, we are actually flying in two days early to Houston Hobby, via Southwest. We fly in Thursday night. We will have a full day on Friday before we leave on our cruise Saturday.
Questions:
1 - I'm already frustrated that we will be paying around $200 to get us to and from the airport, so if you have any other suggestions, please let me know! Supershuttle would be $260 for us round trip, and a town car would be $190. Renting a car and finding somewhere to park it for the week is even more, around $350. I'm still looking into other options.

2 - Where would you stay for two nights? I'd rather stay under $100/night and would love a place that had some amenities like breakfast/wifi? Too bad that Hotel Galvez and Harbor House are so much - they look beautiful!

3 - What would you suggest to see for a full day in Galveston for a couple in their 20s, sans kids?

POST Cruise
When we get back, our plane doesn't leave until 6:30pm. Considering we'll be off the ship by 9am at the latest...
Questions:

1 - Should we try to get up to Houston ASAP or stay in Galveston for a bit?

2 - If we do head up to Houston, what should we do all day?

I honestly didn't think it would be so hard to get myself ON the actual cruise. :lmao:

Can't help with transportation options, (I live 10mins from Hobby), but if you do want to head back towards Hobby after disembarking, I recommend Kemah Boardwalk. There's shops, restaurants, and rides. And its bout 20-25 mins from the airport.

Oh, as for the full day in Galveston, search the web for info on Moody Gardens (an aquarium with other attractions, including their beach/waterpark -Palm Beach), the Strand (shops/restaurants), Pleasure Pier, and Schlitterbaun (spelling is probably off) a massive waterpark!
That should get you started! :)

Galveston is a fun weekend trip for my family . The hotels I would suggest are the hampton inn or the Hilton. For spending the day - You may enjoy moody gardens or schlitterbahn . There is also the new pleasure pier which looks like fun- cant wait to check it out this summer . I second the pp idea of the Kemah boardwalk - fun and relaxing !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter