Prayers for my sister update on post #19

GaSleepingBeautyFan

DIS Veteran
My younger sister had brain surgery (her 2nd) and it didn't go as well as planned (her left side is weak and she can barely speak).

She has no family up there except for her 11 year old son so I'm driving up to MD to help out. (She has a soon to be ex husband and that's it).

Luckily her many friends have been there helping her and her older son flew in from TX but he's only 19 and has to fly back to TX on Monday since he's on leave from the Air Force to be with her.

It's been many, many years since I've had to drive in the snow so I'd like to prep my SUV for cold weather emergencies just in case.

I can't remember much of what I'd need. I remember a warm blanket, power bars, water, cat litter or de-icer, ice scraper. What am I missing?

I'm going to be running around like a crazy woman prepping to leave tomorrow if I can but I'll check back later.

Thanks in advance.

I wish your sister well and send prayers for her andmher medical team.

Best of luch with your drive. I amglad you are able to go to be with her and give her help and support.

Sending prayers for your sister. I am sure she will be happy to have you with her at a time like this. Be safe on the road and don't forget your shovel.

You'll be in our thoughts.

Take your time and drive carefully. You wont be able to help anyone unless you arrive safely.

Good luck!

Wishing the best for your sister and for you, on your drive up to be with her.
Sounds like you've thought of everything you'll need for your car.

Just thought of this....Do you have windshield washer fluid for freezing temps?

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

You'll be in our thoughts.

Take your time and drive carefully. You wont be able to help anyone unless you arrive safely.

Good luck!

X2. Drive slow and easy. Ty not to make any sudden moves, this will cause you to loose traction and start sliding even if you are going somewhat slow. Tire chains are an especially good idea, they will help tons! Hope you get there safe

A shovel can come in very handy.
Make sure you charge your cell phone. Let someone know when you expect to leave and how long you think it will take you to arrive. Hats, gloves, snowpants, winter boots, extra clothes - particularly heavy socks (can be used on feet or hands if needed).
We also take a propane camping heater. A tow strap if you have one.

I am not sure how 'bad' it is down there, this is what my family takes when we drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage and back in winter. But we are driving down a nearly deserted two-lane "highway" :).

Take care, drive slow and arrive safe.
:grouphug: for all.

Prayesr for your sister's recovery. Be careful and drive safely!

Hand warmers,toe warmers,heavy socks,pants,coat,hat,blanket,shovel,tow strap or chain, 2x6x4,kitty litter,de icer,road flares,water, granola bars power bars,jar of peanut butter,loaf of bread if you do not get the bars,tire chains if you have em,batteries and flashlight.

Not sure what part of MD you are coming to...Hope this gives you an idea of what you might want to pack. Safe travels and prayers to you and your family

A coffee can with a candle and matches. Can't remember if jumper cables were already mentioned. I definitely agree with the shovel!

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your sister and her sons.

I understand the "chicken with it's head cut off" crazy scramble right now.
While I can't think of any other SUV needs . . . remember the biggest need is for you to remain calm and collected.

Drive safe :hug:

I don't know about Maryland, but the sun is out here and the snow is over. Drive carefully and remember Walmart has anything you forget. You getting there safely is the most important thing - wishing good thoughts for you and your sister.:grouphug:

Here in the sort of western part of MD, we have had a lot of wind but no snow. Snow has been on the eastern part of the state.

Drive carefully!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister.

Thank you for all your good wishes and prayers for my sister. I talked with her friend today and her Physical Therapy, while tiring for her, went well.

Thanks for all the emergency supply lists. I've added them to my list of things to pick up tomorrow morning before I leave town. Every idea helps and makes me more confident about driving in the icky winter weather.

You guys are the best!

I wanted to do an update while I had the chance.

Thank you for your good thoughts and prayers.

She improved very quickly, much faster than anyone expected. I knew she was determined to when she wanted her makeup!

She worked hard with Speech and Physical therapy and was able to be released from the hospital. She has even had her stitches out already.

She still has work to do and is on a walker but the docs believe she can have a full recovery if she continues to do everything they've recommended. She also has to continue to go to outpatient physical therapy to regain her strength.

She is still learning her limits (and wants to ignore them) but it's a good thing I'm here so I can get to slow down and not overdue it.

I'll be going home on Monday and she has several friends lined up to drive her places and one will be staying with her for a bit longer until she is more steady on her feet.

Thanks again for all your good thoughts and prayers. They've definitely helped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter