Prayers for Bobby

Just stopping by from the TB.

I was looking for a thread on it, so I figured I'd stop by.
It was such a great movie, I cried three times, and I hardly ever cry at movies.
So powerful, I'll definately be hoping for it to come to DVD.
My friend watched it and thought it was great too. :thumbsup2

In the end, I couldn't do it. I just knew it would be too much. :guilty:

It's a Lifetime movie....there will be plenty of chances to see it! Can you say repeatathon?

It was a good movie. I loved that they tackled as much of the Bible stuff as they did. We have a recently out friend that we are pretty sure is forcing his deeply religious parents to watch it tonight. We can only hope that it helps.

I can't wait to find out when this will rerun. We had this issue in my family; my uncle couldn't get past the fact that his only son (my favorite cousin) was gay and gave him so rough a time about it that my cousin moved to California from New Jersey so he could live a normal life without the constant friction between him and his dad. My cousin died in his late 30s and I feel like we were all deprived of his company (even though er stayed in contact by phone) while he was alive because my uncle couldn't accept him as he was. Sad, sad, sad.

Yes this was a great movie and I also hope it comes to DVD. There are several people whom I think need to watch it. The sad part is gay youth are three more likely to commit suicide over a straight youth and this simply should not be.

Steven

Gay teens are the second most likely group to take their own lives. :(

I did end up watching the last half hour. (Of the second showing). I had a terrible time with that. What a total wimp. :confused3

Maybe I'll be able to watch the entire thing, but it will have to be in stages.

Well done movie. I'm glad it showed the pastor countering with actual scripture.

Well done movie. I'm glad it showed the pastor countering with actual scripture.

Yeah, that's especially important for those who "believe" so that they may broaden their perspective of the Bible. ::yes::

This just breaks my heart!!!

As a gay guy who contemplated suicide as a young adult despite having a great family, I'll tell you that it's very true, if not understated. I know quite a few people who either thought about or attempted suicide because of being gay or lesbian.

And I've got one friend who succeeded, and I think it was a factor, though we never discussed it.

Obviously, this subject hits very close to home for me.

Gay youth, on top of being much more likely to kill themselves, are also more likely to run away from home, or worse be thrown out of their homes.

Or society, while getting MUCH better in the past decade, still doesn't do enough to protect it's young people.

This movie was so sad!!!
My partner and I watched it and she kept saying "Dang" over and over because her mother did a lot of the same things to her. Like setting her up with men and of course she would just stay away, but still.

I am horrified as to how ignorant and horrible a parent could be to their child. The mother really threw me for a whirl at the end. On one hand, I want to say "Good for her, she realizes her fault in alienating her own child." But on the other hand I want to say, "Well it's too late now, jerk. You killed your son and now you're trying to quiet your own guilt by doing all of this."
:confused3

This movie was so sad!!!
My partner and I watched it and she kept saying "Dang" over and over because her mother did a lot of the same things to her. Like setting her up with men and of course she would just stay away, but still.

I am horrified as to how ignorant and horrible a parent could be to their child. The mother really threw me for a whirl at the end. On one hand, I want to say "Good for her, she realizes her fault in alienating her own child." But on the other hand I want to say, "Well it's too late now, jerk. You killed your son and now you're trying to quiet your own guilt by doing all of this."
:confused3

It's never too late to learn and grow as a person. Mary's strength lies in her ability to do so. Yes, she missed the chance with her son, but she has done a lot of good by letting other people know how she failed her son. Is she doing it to quiet her own guilt? Partly, I'm sure; but there is also the desire to help other families avoid what they went through.

My hope for her is that through all of the good she's done, she has grown and learned to forgive herself. She was never a bad person, or a bad parent. She was limited to the knowledge she had been given, and did the best she knew how. Her intentions were always good. She always wanted what was best for Bobby. Until she gained a different perspective, she couldn't see what truly was best for Bobby. So now she shows other people that perspective.

Truly a remarkable woman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter