Prague add on - post Danube River cruise

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
This morning we had to have our luggage out one hour before boarding the bus from the ship. So it isn't like a DCL cruise where it has to be out the night before. That was a relief. On the way to Prague we stopped in a village called Cesky Krumlov. The drive is about 2 hours or so with a comfort stop along the way. It is a lovely place and we enjoyed the visit despite the rain. Most of us were saying that we'd like to come back again someday when it wasn't raining. My highlight was being able to see Hanneke and Zoe again when our tours crossed paths. Afterwards, we headed to Prague which was about a 3 hour drive with a comfort stop along the way.

When we got to the Marriott our rooms were ready and our luggage was already in the room. We went to dinner as a group at the Sarah Bernhardt restaurant. We enjoyed a nice leisurely dinner. After dinner a group of us headed to see the Charles bridge at night.

Cesky Krumlov pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Walking through Prague at night:

OH. MY. GOD.

Where, how, do I even begin? This city is a visual cornucopia of stunning awesomeness. I don't have sufficient words to describe it and I did not pack a thesaurus with me. Wow. Just, wow. We all know ABD reads these boards so if they are reading this, I'm going to borrow a line from The Sandlot and take this moment to say, "You're killin' me Smalls!" I can't keep adding places to come back to. Now Prague is also on the list.

We haven't even done anything yet besides arrive and I'm already blown away with what a beautiful and incredible city this is! I am so looking forward to our tour tomorrow! I would not have come to Prague on my own and it wouldn't have been on my radar. I am so glad this was offered as a post trip.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Prague was "spared" in the world wars from bombing so there are so many historic buildings. Calypso you will be like me when you get home and have this yearning to return....enjoy every minute and thanks, thanks, thanks for taking us along in real time.

Prague is wonderful. We spent Christmas there a couple of yrs ago. So pretty. I love all the art nouveau buildings, and town square, and all the little wandering paths that radiate out from the square... It's a great city!

What were the fireworks for?

Sorry, I skimmed past the photos -- I want to be surprised. But everyone I've talked to has said Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, so I'm not surprised by your reaction. :D

Sayhello

Prague is wonderful. We spent Christmas there a couple of yrs ago. So pretty. I love all the art nouveau buildings, and town square, and all the little wandering paths that radiate out from the square... It's a great city!

What were the fireworks for?

I can only imagine how beautiful it must be at Christmas. I have no idea what the fireworks were for. We were standing on the Charles bridge taking pictures and all of a sudden there were fireworks. Everyone else on the bridge seemed just as surprised as I was. There wasn't a crowd of people waiting for something to happen but when it did everyone stopped what they were doing to watch and take pictures.

To ditto SayHello, I've always heard that Prague was the most beautiful city in Europe, too. I know Calfan fell in love with it when she did the Central Europe ABD a few years back. I think they stayed there a few days extra, and it still wasn't enough. Loving your trip report and pics. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this add-on (compared to the one you did last year).

Oohh... I LOVE Prague!!! Thanks for the photos!

You're welcome!

To ditto SayHello, I've always heard that Prague was the most beautiful city in Europe, too. I know Calfan fell in love with it when she did the Central Europe ABD a few years back. I think they stayed there a few days extra, and it still wasn't enough. Loving your trip report and pics. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this add-on (compared to the one you did last year).

Tough to compare. Last year's was $4398 for 2 people and from 6/26-29. This year is $2618 for 2 people from 7/14-16. There was more time spent touring and seeing things in Copenhagen. This time there is much less. With the exception of the stop in Cesky Krumlov and dinner yesterday you are in the coach driving to get to Prague. So today is the only full day you are touring in Prague. Fortunately, one of our guides, Stephanie, is a fantastic story teller and shared what her life was like in east Germany before the wall came down. We enjoyed listening to her and we're grateful she chose to share those memories with us.

Now that said, I still thought the Prague add on was worth it because I know I would not have done it on my own at all. I also like the Prague add-on more than the Copenshgen one.

You're welcome!

Tough to compare. Last year's was $4398 for 2 people and from 6/26-29. This year is $2618 for 2 people from 7/14-16. There was more time spent touring and seeing things in Copenhagen. This time there is much less. With the exception of the stop in Cesky Krumlov and dinner yesterday you are in the coach driving to get to Prague. So today is the only full day you are touring in Prague. Fortunately, one of our guides, Stephanie, is a fantastic story teller and shared what her life was like in east Germany before the wall came down. We enjoyed listening to her and we're grateful she chose to share those memories with us.

Now that said, I still thought the Prague add on was worth it because I know I would not have done it on my own at all. I also like the Prague add-on more than the Copenshgen one.
Thanks so much for the impressions! The value of the add-ons is something I've been disappointed with, but with the hotels and transport, sometimes they might not be too bad--especially if it means going or not going! Can't wait to hear about the full day of touring!

I can only imagine how beautiful it must be at Christmas. I have no idea what the fireworks were for. We were standing on the Charles bridge taking pictures and all of a sudden there were fireworks. Everyone else on the bridge seemed just as surprised as I was. There wasn't a crowd of people waiting for something to happen but when it did everyone stopped what they were doing to watch and take pictures.

The fireworks are probably to celebrate Bastille Day, which is a national holiday in France and the site of another unfortunate incident....:(

I bet Prague is amazing at Christmas! Everyone I know who has ever been completely loves the city.

I love Prague. I first went there in '03 while traveling around Europe, then went back with my wife in '08. We also had a fantastic guide in Prague who grew up there when it was still under Communist control; he told us about his childhood and how it differed from the way things are there now. Really interesting to hear his perspective.

We also went to Budapest on that '08 trip - another lovely and very interesting city to visit if you decide to go back to Eastern Europe in the future.

Thanks so much for the impressions! The value of the add-ons is something I've been disappointed with, but with the hotels and transport, sometimes they might not be too bad--especially if it means going or not going! Can't wait to hear about the full day of touring!

It's a lot of money for a short amount of time. However, if I know I would not have done it on my own then I'm ok with it. So I look at it that way. I'll be posting about today in a little while.

The fireworks are probably to celebrate Bastille Day, which is a national holiday in France and the site of another unfortunate incident....:(

Yes, that is what we were told earlier. What a tragedy. So sad.

I bet Prague is amazing at Christmas! Everyone I know who has ever been completely loves the city.

I'd really like to return some day. Preferably when I am not dealing with an injury. The cobblestones really are tough on you.

I love Prague. I first went there in '03 while traveling around Europe, then went back with my wife in '08. We also had a fantastic guide in Prague who grew up there when it was still under Communist control; he told us about his childhood and how it differed from the way things are there now. Really interesting to hear his perspective.

We also went to Budapest on that '08 trip - another lovely and very interesting city to visit if you decide to go back to Eastern Europe in the future.

I most certainly will. I'd like to spend more time here at some point. I do love the history aspect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter