• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PP Theme Park Concierge or GC Standard

JDirrim

Mouseketeer
Trying to make a decision on a hotel :confused3 We can afford to stay onsite :cool1: I am so excited!! However, I am needing helping making a decision on where to stay. We can stay at either Grand Cali in a standard view room or at PP in a theme park view concierge room for about the same price. I am curious..what would you all choose? I am torn...I hear the Grand is beautiful and a once in the lifetime thing, but I feel as if I am getting a better deal at PP. :confused3 I don't want to choose one, and then as soon as I see another one instantly regret my decision. Any advice on this? I would love to hear everyone's comments/reviews.

Trying to make a decision on a hotel :confused3 We can afford to stay onsite :cool1: I am so excited!! However, I am needing helping making a decision on where to stay. We can stay at either Grand Cali in a standard view room or at PP in a theme park view concierge room for about the same price. I am curious..what would you all choose? I am torn...I hear the Grand is beautiful and a once in the lifetime thing, but I feel as if I am getting a better deal at PP. :confused3 I don't want to choose one, and then as soon as I see another one instantly regret my decision. Any advice on this? I would love to hear everyone's comments/reviews.

Have you seen the views you can get from the PPH as opposed to a parking lot at the GCH?? There is a whole thread(s) on both places here on dis. I would go for the PPH like you described.

Jack

I agree about the room view at PP but not a fan of the pool area, really needs to be redone. If you were planning on spending time at the pool I might choose GC over PP view concierge. Hotel is beautiful and better food options.

I agree about the room view at PP but not a fan of the pool area, really needs to be redone. If you were planning on spending time at the pool I might choose GC over PP view concierge. Hotel is beautiful and better food options.

I agree about the food, but you still have to walk to them, we have never gone for the pools even when the kids were little. We rented a cabana a few years back for a day, was not the best investment of the trip. We go because we are Disneyland diehards, it is the original, Walt built it.

If you want all that the Grand has to offer, then I would stay there, if you want a great view, reasonable rates, still has the perks at a reason price, try the PPH, you may go back.

Jack

Honestly? PPH concierge. Having done all 3, I have to say, PPH has the best concierge food. The view is gorgeous. The rooms are huge. You lose 5 mins each direction of your walk for closeness, but I would pick PPH....

A standard room at the GCH, or a Concierge Theme Park View Room at PPH?

To me there's absolutely no contest----PPH, hands down!!!:thumbsup2

We had the same choice to make about two weeks ago when we made our reservations. We chose PPH theme park view and concierge.

Depends what amenities you and your family will most appreciate. Will you be around at the hotel during hours when concierge services are prime? If so, I would totally go for that -- it sounds so awesome! Yummy little nibblies, bottled waters and sodas you can take to go, etc. My idea of being pampered is snacks and someone to answer questions, but I'm easy that way. ;)

Even if you're not at the hotel much, I've heard the view is swoon-worthy.

Okay, I'll play the other side. :goodvibes

We love the GCH and the amenities. We enjoy drinks every night at the Hearthstone Lounge after a long park day. Of course you could still do that but its nice to just pop upstairs and be back.

Their pool is fantastic, much better than the PP and we're pool people. The PPH pool is not resort like. It's really not much different than the Sheraton's down the street. It's not bad at all but it's not Disney. The GCH pool has plush loungers and plenty of shade too.

WWS is a great counter service. We really like their nachos and breakfast burritos. Perfect pool snacks. We totally enjoy getting soaked on GRR and then running up and changing clothes.

Concierge would be cool if you're around during the wine/beer/snack/perk times. You can get any info from any CM at your hotel if staying at the DLR so the access to no isn't a real bonus to me.

The GCH feels like a resort and the PPH feels like a hotel.

You really can't go wrong with either. Just wanted to point out how cool the GCH is. :thumbsup2

On the PPH side, I am a view junkie and the views are amazing. pixiedust:

I'd go with the Grand for several reasons.

Concierge isn't really "worth it" unless you've got a family of 10 and eat every meal there (exaggerating, but not by much).

You CANNOT beat the walk from GCH to the parks. Our last trip, we could be from physically in our room to physically in the park in under 2 minutes. Its just that close.

The Grand is a luxury resort. PP is..... a hotel.

And my last personal reason to stay at the Grand... That's just what we do. If we aren't staying at the Grand, we aren't staying at DLR.

One other thought if you decide on the Grand: I recommend that you skip the standard view room (parking lot) and pay a tad bit more for a courtyard / woods view. For barely more money you get a much nicer view.

While we're staying at the PP on our next visit, I long for the budget to pay for the Grand again. It is superior in every way to me.

I've done all three onsite hotels, though it's been a few years since my last stay at GCH. (GCH & DLH - standard rooms, PP - concierge/view room). Our choice hotel is the DLH.

I'd pick GCH. It's a much grander hotel and I love the proximity to the parks.

While the concierge is nice at PPH, I didn't find it to be that amazing. Sure the snacks are nice, but we drive and usually bring enough snacks of our own to be happy.

I agree with the PP - the Grand is a luxury resort and the PP is a hotel.

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I just really need to sit down and think about what we will actually be doing when we are there...are we going to be in parks open to close..parks everyday? I think if we find that we will be in the hotel for awhile we may go with grand CALI since the resort aspect seems more appealing...

I've stayed at PP several times in standard and concierge levels. I have also stayed at Disneyland hotel and will be at Grand californian sometime :lovestruc. I found the PP rooms to be large and have comfy beds. However, the rooms always has some cleanliness issues and I always felt the service was just kinda "meh". They leave you a rice krispie treat and milk in the room neither of which are very good. In the concierge lounge the morning offerings are decent and you can get coke cans and bottled water when requested. During the day they have light snacks/coke and water. For evening the apps were ok but nothing to run over for. The beer/wine selections were limited but a nice perk if you need a drink. My BF and I have agreed after our last terrible stay at PP we will never stay there again.

So my vote is the Grand. :thumbsup2

We all tour for different reasons, wants and needs. Even though we will stay in the GCH again in time, the last "woods view" room, aka Brisa Court the view was of 3 dead white birches, really not what I expected after the previous experiences.

The view is always part of our trip since it only happens once a year.

Jack

We all tour for different reasons, wants and needs. Even though we will stay in the GCH again in time, the last "woods view" room, aka Brisa Court the view was of 3 dead white birches, really not what I expected after the previous experiences.

The view is always part of our trip since it only happens once a year.

Jack

Jack…I seriously had to chuckle at this!

I mean, it's sad that the "Great View" that you had, was of the 3 dead Birches, but still……too funny!

We've had the Brisa Courtyard view before, and it was lovely---I'm really glad we experienced it before the Birch trees died;)!!!!

I totally agree with you, about the view being part of the fun/experience of the trip!:)

Jack…I seriously had to chuckle at this!

I mean, it's sad that the "Great View" that you had, was of the 3 dead Birches, but still……too funny!

We've had the Brisa Courtyard view before, and it was lovely---I'm really glad we experienced it before the Birch trees died;)!!!!

I totally agree with you, about the view being part of the fun/experience of the trip!:)

Seriously we have had every view they have to offer including DVC views...and that was after they had moved us twice...I do love the Grand for some things.

Jack

Well...tough call. I love concierge, but I don't really like PPH very much. Granted, I have only stayed there once, did not have a view room and the pool was out of commission, including the spas and snack area. However, the main thing I disliked was the lack of any resort feel at all. It's an old hotel that Disney acquired, but it's not a Disney resort hotel. The service was not like the other 2 hotels and the amenities were almost non-existent. There are no grounds at all. Though I've heard great things about the view rooms and the pictures I've seen look incredible, I'd still probably opt for the GCH. It's in a whole different class. I also think the rooms are nice and like that there is a little balcony. The beach theme at PPH is cute but that's about the best I can say about it. I wouldn't consider the view to be the determining factor in which hotel I chose, but that's me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter