• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Power wheelchair rental

Baytothemax

Earning My Ears
I’m looking to rent a power wheelchair for upcoming trip to universal for Halloween Horror nights as they will not allow me to take my scooter into line and I cannot propel myself in a standard wheelchair in anything other than a circle (only have use of one arm)

Is there any company I should avoid? I’m looking at Orlando medical rental at moment

Key points would be a need for it to disassemble into lightweight pieces for transport as we are not staying on universal property.

Most/many power wheelchairs available for rent, such as Drive or Quantum chairs, are neither lightweight nor modular, requiring vehicles with ramps or lifts for transport.

Some companies may be renting Whills or other chairs that are a bit more compact.

Good luck!

There aren't going to be a lot of options. This is what I found based on vendors mentioned here in the past:

Orlando Medical Rentals has a folding power chair. It won't disassemble but instead folds; it weighs 150+ lbs so I don't think you'll be lifting it into a private vehicle and might need to use an accessible taxi where you can wheel on.

Gold Mobility rents a Pride Jazzy, which I don't believe will be portable. In fact, they have a specific disclaimer about only using theme park transportation and not taking it offsite. So that's probably out.

Scootaround and BPMobility both rent the Whill CI. I think there is a thread on the disABILITIES Community Forum about the Whill Ci - a few posters own one and like it. They don't give a lot of information; I believe it folds, but no mention of the weight. They also offer more standard powerchairs (looks like a Pride Jazzy?), and they do say it can be disassembled.

It’s unclear whether or not power wheelchair are allowed in the Haunted Houses. People have posted previously that neither ECVs or power wheelchairs we allowed in those and they needed to transfer from their power wheelchair to a manual one. I saw a couple recent Reddit posts and other places that said they had to transfer from power chair.
Touring Plans has this info on their website.
13CBDA1B-DE56-419D-9994-2D931A255295.jpeg

Universal’s website only says ECVs are not allowed and doesn’t mention power wheelchairs. I can’t link it because it was a Popup page. This is a screenshot of the information.
43FD4687-C796-4414-9DA5-0AF9F86C89E8.jpeg
The individual Haunted House listings on the Universal website say guests should refer to specific accessibility/disability information posted at signs outside the house. I could not find anything more written on their website, but found signs from outside some of the haunted houses that said guests in standard manual or power wheelchairs could remain in them - I don’t know if that applies to all.

Many (most?) of the rental companies will not rent a power wheelchair to guests who are not experienced using one. For example, someone who uses one at home, but does not want to bring it to Florida with them.
Power wheelchairs do have a bit of a learning curve compared to using an ECV - everything is controlled by a single joystick at the same time; speed, turning and forward vs reverse motion. Manouvering in crowded, low light conditions can also be challenging, especially using an unfamiliar device.

It’s unclear whether or not power wheelchair are allowed in the Haunted Houses. People have posted previously that neither ECVs or power wheelchairs we allowed in those and they needed to transfer from their power wheelchair to a manual one. I saw a couple recent Reddit posts and other places that said they had to transfer from power chair.
Touring Plans has this info on their website.
View attachment 708154

Universal’s website only says ECVs are not allowed and doesn’t mention power wheelchairs. I can’t link it because it was a Popup page. This is a screenshot of the information.
View attachment 708170
The individual Haunted House listings on the Universal website say guests should refer to specific accessibility/disability information posted at signs outside the house. I could not find anything more written on their website, but found signs from outside some of the haunted houses that said guests in standard manual or power wheelchairs could remain in them - I don’t know if that applies to all.

Many (most?) of the rental companies will not rent a power wheelchair to guests who are not experienced using one. For example, someone who uses one at home, but does not want to bring it to Florida with them.
Power wheelchairs do have a bit of a learning curve compared to using an ECV - everything is controlled by a single joystick at the same time; speed, turning and forward vs reverse motion. Manouvering in crowded, low light conditions can also be challenging, especially using an unfamiliar device.

It surprises me to hear that Universal may have a policy that groups power wheelchairs in with ECVs for the houses only because - unlike Disney - they don't do that anywhere else on-property. At Disney, they divide chairs based on "motor/no motor" (including things like power drives on manual chairs being grouped in with ECVs), while Universal definitely treats power wheelchairs as wheelchairs and a separate category from ECVs in queues and elsewhere. That's disappointing (not to me specifically, because there is nowhere I would rather be LESS than a haunted house, but for others who use power chairs).

It surprises me to hear that Universal may have a policy that groups power wheelchairs in with ECVs for the houses only because - unlike Disney - they don't do that anywhere else on-property. At Disney, they divide chairs based on "motor/no motor" (including things like power drives on manual chairs being grouped in with ECVs), while Universal definitely treats power wheelchairs as wheelchairs and a separate category from ECVs in queues and elsewhere. That's disappointing (not to me specifically, because there is nowhere I would rather be LESS than a haunted house, but for others who use power chairs).
We have not brought our daughter’s power wheelchair to Disney World, so I don’t have personal experience with a power wheelchair in line.
But, we frequently see power wheelchairs in line with our daughter in her manual wheelchair, even in lines that are not ECV accessible. We’ve also seen guests using power wheelchairs in most of the wheelchair accessible ride cars - one exception is the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. That wheelchair vehicle is very small and the CMs usually measure DD’s manual chair to make sure it will fit.
We have seen manual chairs with power drives in line with us also, but some are longer than will fit in the ‘wheelchair size boxes’ and could be restricted for that reason.
I have verified with WDW Disability Services multiple times that ‘wheelchair’ = manual or power/motorized wheelchair. The possible exceptions would be power wheelchairs that are larger than the allowed size (30 inches wide x 48 inches long) or the combined weight of the wheelchair plus occupant is greater than 700 pounds (some lifts and ramps are not rated for a weight higher than that). The information was from Disability Services management, not a generic answer from the phone or email.

According to Universal’s Rider’s Guide, the wheelchair symbol means guests may remain in their wheelchair, but they note it does not apply to guests using ECVs or motorized wheelchairs. The ECV symbol means it is accessible to guests using ECVs and motorized wheelchairs. (Screenshot from Rider’s Guide).
966D1EDE-B9DC-46FE-A20A-C22892E35551.jpeg

Some companies may be renting Whills or other chairs that are a bit more compact.
I've loaded a Whill many times in and out of an SUV, and I'm not sure I could do it alone. It's no big deal for two able bodied people or maybe one fit guy.

Just a guess - but I wonder if it has to do with safety of those guests walking through a dark haunted house and not allowing anything motorized.
JMO, Universal is complying with minimum ADA requirements.

HHN. You have to wait for a loaner wheelchair at the beginning of the queue, frequently a long distance to the house. No reason why a scooter couldn't be used for that distance
Some guests using an ECV literally can't walk. Many just can't walk Disney distances. Universal requires guest stay in the wheelchair in the house. Not easy in the dark.

RIP tour is the option. Tour lets you take scooter to house entrance

Just a guess - but I wonder if it has to do with safety of those guests walking through a dark haunted house and not allowing anything motorized.
It borders on discrimination. I am an experienced driver. I can’t use a standard manual chair. Now if they have a manual with a reclining back, that’s another story.

I’m looking to rent a power wheelchair for upcoming trip to universal for Halloween Horror nights as they will not allow me to take my scooter into line and I cannot propel myself in a standard wheelchair in anything other than a circle (only have use of one arm)

Is there any company I should avoid? I’m looking at Orlando medical rental at moment

Key points would be a need for it to disassemble into lightweight pieces for transport as we are not staying on universal property.
I’d stay away from Orlando Medical. I rented the powerchair they offered last year and it was a HUGE MISTAKE. It was extremely old and run down, the batteries wouldn’t even last for ONE HOUR, and the biggest thing was (for me at least) the cushion on that chair was EXTREMELY THIN (1 INCH MAX) that when you sat down on it, it would DEFLATE like a Tom Brady football and you’d be practically sitting on the chair frame and if you have any hip issues where that would make that an issue, you would be in pain.

So we called Gold Mobility the next day and they brought out a scooter for me.
Most/many power wheelchairs available for rent, such as Drive or Quantum chairs, are neither lightweight nor modular, requiring vehicles with ramps or lifts for transport.

Good luck!
Where have you seen QUANTUMS for rent?! I’d like to know since I’ll be in the market for one when I move down to Florida.

I’d stay away from Orlando Medical. I rented the powerchair they offered last year and it was a HUGE MISTAKE. It was extremely old and run down, the batteries wouldn’t even last for ONE HOUR, and the biggest thing was (for me at least) the cushion on that chair was EXTREMELY THIN (1 INCH MAX) that when you sat down on it, it would DEFLATE like a Tom Brady football and you’d be practically sitting on the chair frame and if you have any hip issues where that would make that an issue, you would be in pain.

Where have you seen QUANTUMS for rent?! I’d like to know since I’ll be in the market for one when I move down to Florida.
It was probably 15 years ago. Walker, I think.

These days, golden, drive, and similars are more prevalent.

I’ve never seen Quantum wheelchairs for rent. That is Pride Mobility’s Rehab/ custom mobility power wheelchair brand. They are individualized, prescribed devices, so it’s not likely any company rents them (except in trial situations where someone is being evaluated for their own power chair).

The majority of what I have seen for rent are Jazzy power wheelchairs. That is Pride Mobility’s less expensive less customizable, more off the shelf power wheelchair brand. Like an ECV, people can just purchase them. No medical orders needed.

The Jazzy wheelchairs look pretty similar to the Quantum ones.
Now some companies have gone to the lighter weight foldable power wheelchairs; they may be less durable for long term, tough rental use

We have not brought our daughter’s power wheelchair to Disney World, so I don’t have personal experience with a power wheelchair in line.
But, we frequently see power wheelchairs in line with our daughter in her manual wheelchair, even in lines that are not ECV accessible. We’ve also seen guests using power wheelchairs in most of the wheelchair accessible ride cars - one exception is the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. That wheelchair vehicle is very small and the CMs usually measure DD’s manual chair to make sure it will fit.
We have seen manual chairs with power drives in line with us also, but some are longer than will fit in the ‘wheelchair size boxes’ and could be restricted for that reason.
I have verified with WDW Disability Services multiple times that ‘wheelchair’ = manual or power/motorized wheelchair. The possible exceptions would be power wheelchairs that are larger than the allowed size (30 inches wide x 48 inches long) or the combined weight of the wheelchair plus occupant is greater than 700 pounds (some lifts and ramps are not rated for a weight higher than that). The information was from Disability Services management, not a generic answer from the phone or email.

According to Universal’s Rider’s Guide, the wheelchair symbol means guests may remain in their wheelchair, but they note it does not apply to guests using ECVs or motorized wheelchairs. The ECV symbol means it is accessible to guests using ECVs and motorized wheelchairs. (Screenshot from Rider’s Guide).
View attachment 708209

That is sadly not always the case in practice, and there are an assortment of queues at both WDW and DL that prohibit anything with a motor from entering portions of the queue and require people to transfer into a manual chair. FOP is a big one, so is Pirates in FL, so is Star Tours in CA. Each time the CM has stated that it's an "electric issue" and not a "size issue," as my chair is smaller than any hospital-style chair (which is what they loan out to guests/require people to transfer into) and only weighs 50 pounds. Policy may be that a wheelchair is a wheelchair as long as it meets the size, regardless of the means of propulsion, but the reality in the park - including escalating it to multiple levels of management - is that there are a bunch of rides where Disney does not allow any mobility device with a motor but allows manual wheelchairs.

I've loaded a Whill many times in and out of an SUV, and I'm not sure I could do it alone. It's no big deal for two able bodied people or maybe one fit guy.
The Whill Ci comes apart into 3 manageable pieces that even I , a not a certified power lifter, can get into my car.

Thank you for help. I actually went through mobility plus and received a golden pride envy chair. It comes apart very similarly to my Golden Buzzaround. Since it’s a slower device and I’ve been using my scooter for several years, I was able to pick up driving the joystick relatively quickly.

Power chair was allowed through all the lines & through the houses. It had much better steering/control versus a standard wheelchair. Only got 2 doorways with my knee but steering essentially blind in the dark that’s 1000x times better than I’ve gotten than someone else pushing me.

I am very interested in trying the whill chair to see if the seat is a little deeper and it had better shocks since it’s an incomplete spinal cord injury causing my issues so back/neck muscles are weaker than normal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter