Pound of Ground Beef Meals?

gillenkl

DIS Veteran
I'm attempting to eat at home as much as possible and I was wondering how others use a pound of ground beef in meals for a family of 4-5. I've done the basics: sloppy joe, hamburger helper, hamburgers, meatloaf, meatballs in sauce.....but I need more suggestions (and recipes) if you have them.

Cincinnati Chili

1 large onion chopped
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta
Toppings (see below)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional).

Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Toppings:
Oyster Crackers
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Chopped Onion
Kidney Beans (16-ounce) can

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Chili con carne, Swedish meatballs, meatball stroganoff on egg noodles, Spanish rice, cabbage rolls, stuffed green peppers.

Mexican Shepard's Pie.

Brown 1 lb of ground beef and drain. Add a package of taco seasoning mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Layer in the bottom of oa 2 qt casserole. Layer in a cup of shredded cheese, package of frozen corn (defrosted) and top with mashed potatoes (I make mine and use 5-6 medium potatoes. If you're using instant I would use 6-8 servings). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I usually serve it with salsa and sour cream and a side salad.

You can also make this with ground chicken or turkey and it come out fine.

Mexican Shepard's Pie.

Brown 1 lb of ground beef and drain. Add a package of taco seasoning mix and 2 tablespoons of water. Layer in the bottom of oa 2 qt casserole. Layer in a cup of shredded cheese, package of frozen corn (defrosted) and top with mashed potatoes (I make mine and use 5-6 medium potatoes. If you're using instant I would use 6-8 servings). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I usually serve it with salsa and sour cream and a side salad.

You can also make this with ground chicken or turkey and it come out fine.

That sounds really good. I am going to try that one night this week. Thanks.

Taco Melts
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/grands-taco-melts/e6b11686-a7bd-4332-bf4d-1f9fe83ddfd2/

You can make it with or without the salsa. My kids and my niece aren't big salsa fans, but none of them noticed it in the recipe. This was the recipe I started with and now I just tweek it to our taste. I use taco or mexican shredded cheese. We also put lettuce, taco sauce, salsa, diced tomatoes (whatever we have on hand) on the table to top the melts with.

My mom had a recipe using ground beef, ramen noodles and asian veggies...I can't find it in my collection but I would brown and drain the beef, add the noodles and enough water to cook them, mix in a packet of the seasoning to taste, and cook the veggies separately or add them towards the end.

Top with crunchy noodles.

I usually make...

tacos

homemade burgers

fry up the burger with onions, drain, add brown gravy and put over mashed potatoes or egg noodles

shepards pie

I've never made this but heard of others who like it, maybe you could just look up a recipe. But I've heard of hamburg soup. :confused3

Stuffed peppers

Mock Stroganoff

Many different varieties of meatballs, swedish, spicy, etc

Cheeseburger Pie

Lasagna (mock if you don't have the time)

Mini burgers - sliders (kids love these)

Stuffed Zucchini

Brown 1 lb ground beef.
Mix together with chopped green pepper, 1 chopped onion (I like vidalia), 1 can italian style chopped tomatoes.

Leave in crockpot on low for 4-5 hrs.
Then, add a small can of tomato paste and 1/2 box of spiral cooked pasta during last 10 min of cooking.

I serve with parmesan cheese on top.

This New England favorite tastes better the 2nd day; so often I double the recipe.

I do the taco bake thing but I line a rectangular baking dish with crescent roll dough first. Top with the taco meat, then cheese and bake. Then top that with lettuce, tomato, olives, salsa and sour cream if desired. Really yum! I have also put in a layer of refried beans under the taco meat sometimes.

Spaghetti Pizza Pie

Brown and drain 1 lb. ground chuck. Add of can spaghetti sauce.
Cook and drain 8 oz. spaghetti noodles. Add 1/2 cup grated Parm and one lightly beaten egg. Put noodles in a pie dish. Cover with meat mixture. Top with 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Usually I divide this into two pie plates.)

does anyone have a shepherds pie recipe? I tried to wing it last winter and it didn't turn out so good so I'd love a recipe!

Taco Soup
1lb. ground beef, brown & drain
1 onion, chopped-saute with beef
3 cans diced tomatoes
1 can hominy
1 can kidney beans
1 can green chiles
1 pk. taco season
1 pk hidden valley ranch dressing mix

Cook beef & onion together, drain and return to pot. Add everything (do not drain any juices). Can also add some corn to the mix as well. If you like more flavor, double the season packets. Freezes well. Serve with shredded cheese, avacados, corn bread.

Baked potato bar-bake some potatoes, brown ground beef and add any kind of seasoning that you like to the ground beef. Serve with whatever topings you can think of, steamed broccoli, shredded cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, bacon, onions, olives, bell peppers, on and on.

Albondigas Soup

Meatballs:
grd meat
egg
bread crumbs
salt
pepper (I just sprinkle in the seasonings,I don't measure. You can leave out cumin)
cumin

Mix the above, form into small meatballs and brown. (about the size of your thumb)

Chicken broth
2 carrots, sliced thin
2 or 3 stalks of celery, sliced thin
1 onion, sliced thin
1 can of diced tomatos

Pour broth into soup pot add remaining ingedients, bring to boil. Lower to simmer and cook until vegtables are soft. Add meatballs when you turn down the heat. I add cumin, oregano and pepper, but you should season to taste.

Serve over cooked rice...should be fairly "soupy". This is a big hit around here, I make the meatballs in batches when the grd meat is on sale, freeze in ziplock bags.

Mix one pound of browned ground beef with one can of Ranch Style Beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a package of taco seasoning. Set aside. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, and line the bottom with tortillas chips (I push them down slightly to flatten them...it's okay if they are broken). Top with the meat/bean mix, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and heat in a 350 degree oven until bubbly (20 mins, give or take). It is DELISH! As an alternate, you can put a layer of cooked rice on the bottom instead of tortillas chips...I've made it both ways, and both ways are yummy.

I have recipes for:

Baked Ziti

Beef Stroganoff

Taco Pie

Shepard's Pie

Zucchini Beef Bake

If you'd like any of those let me know and I'll send them. :)

Mix one pound of browned ground beef with one can of Ranch Style Beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a package of taco seasoning. Set aside. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, and line the bottom with tortillas chips (I push them down slightly to flatten them...it's okay if they are broken). Top with the meat/bean mix, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and heat in a 350 degree oven until bubbly (20 mins, give or take). It is DELISH! As an alternate, you can put a layer of cooked rice on the bottom instead of tortillas chips...I've made it both ways, and both ways are yummy.

This sounds good. I think we will try this one. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter