• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Potty training @ Oceaneer Club - "one-strike" rule?

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
Our 3.5-y.o. is "daytime" potty trained. While he still needs a nighttime diaper when sleeping, we have not had an accident during the day in months. He knows when he has to go, and he knows how to get his underpants and shorts on and off, and knows to flush and wash his hands.

My only concern is what if he has an accident in the Club due to unfamiliar surroundings or just sheer excitement? We will be taking him during open house to show him several times where the toilet is so he's familiar. We will also not be leaving him there for more than two hours at a time, and he's well able to hold it for much longer than that. But if he gets caught up in the high-level hoopla, I'm not sure if he has the wherewithal to "snap out of it" and get to the toilet when the need arises.

So if he does have an accident, what is the policy? Do we not get to bring him back for the rest of the day? The rest of the cruise?

I've looked at other threads, and it seems there are varying experiences with the CM's. Can anyone give me the status quo, please?

Thanks much!

This past January, who were almost 3 and almost 5 at the time. I was most concerned about my almost 3 year old, who is still only day trained. It was my almost 5 year old that DID have an accident. They have shorts for the kids if that happens (so it must happen on a regular basis) and we no one said anything about the incident (after the initially call to get her a change of clothes).

I am not sure what would happen if there were subsequent accidents or if it was my youngest.

My son was 3 last year in the Magic and had two accidents, one of them a horrible poop accident while in the kids club. They were very nice about it and we were not banned from coming back. The first time we just needed to get him in dry clothes and he was allowed to return immediately, the second time we didn't even know he'd had an accident until we came to get him and he was in the borrowed shorts (this was the poop accident). That night we had been to Palo and I wondered if they didn't interrupt us because of that. I stressed so badly about the potential for accidents because he was at the same stage of potty training as you describe and I just knew that being in an unfamiliar environment was a recipe for disaster but the CMs there were so nice about it. I also wondered if being concierge level had something to do with not getting the boot, but who knows!

If "consequence-free poopie pants" is a perk of Concierge, I may have to upgrade.

Last October our 3yo DD (actually she was about 10 days shy of 3, but they let her in the club) had an accident. They called us on the wave phone to let us know. We went and picked her up, they had changed her into dry clothes and had her wet ones bagged.

They were very nice about it. They never said anything about her not being allowed back in. They let her back in right after we changed her clothes in fact.

FYI, they don't take the dry clothes back...so don't worry about doing it. We tried, they told us to keep em.

Our 3 yr old was potty trained a month before our cruise. She had one poop accident in the kids club. They called us on the wave phone to change her. I asked if she could come back and was told it happens all the time. No problems sending her back.

Yes, they're very forgiving. They're also much less likely to call you if they know you have a spa appointment or are in Palo. They're really great!

Well, then. This is very encouraging. Thank you all for the feedback!

Hi ,just a suggestion.send your child in and go into the bathroom and have them try to go. I have trained over 55 children(childcare provider for 29 yrs).Even when a child says they don;t have to go I always have them try while I wait because 9 out of 10 times they go.Then when they are excited and playing they don;t have an accident. I am surprized they do not ask you to bring a small bag with change of clothes when you drop off.

Oh, yes. We will be doing that.

He tends to poop overnight or early afternoon, so a few hours at the club in the morning after breakfast, pick him up for lunch, and another few hours back at the club after his afternoon "constitutional", and we should be good.

My 3yr old was potty trained, but I was not sure how she would do in a unfamiliar settings. The first day I went to the Lab with her. I wanted to show her their bathroom and make sure she would know what to do there, but I was not allowed to go in to the bathroom with her. CM said because there could be other kids in there, adults are not allowed to go in.
I was worried, I made sure my daughter used a bathroom before sending her there, and did not leave her there more than 2 hours.

My experience was a forgiving one as well. DS3 is potty trained, but within 15 minutes of being there had a small potty accident. They put him in new shorts and called us. The staff was very, very nice about it. I'm sure it happens all the time with the sheer excitement of the place.

To all who have replied to this thread, and the one who created it... Thank You!! :flower3: I have been obsessing over this very subject. I have an upcoming trip still well over a year away and my newly turned 3 year old is currently training. I know he will be well trained by the time we go however.... those of us who've been around the potty training corner before with older children know even when well potty trained - excitement/distraction = accidents. Of course having them use the potty before taking them in the club to begin with is a no brainer, but you just never know when an accident will happen, hence the word "accident". Good to know that the CM's don't freak out about it, and that it does happen, and that your little one is still welcome. :thumbsup2

To all who have replied to this thread, and the one who created it... Thank You!! :flower3: I have been obsessing over this very subject. I have an upcoming trip still well over a year away and my newly turned 3 year old is currently training. I know he will be well trained by the time we go however.... those of us who've been around the potty training corner before with older children know even when well potty trained - excitement/distraction = accidents. Of course having them use the potty before taking them in the club to begin with is a no brainer, but you just never know when an accident will happen, hence the word "accident". Good to know that the CM's don't freak out about it, and that it does happen, and that your little one is still welcome. :thumbsup2

Auntie feels better now too!:thumbsup2

Thank you for this thread. We have a 6yr old special needs daughter. Who is daytime Potty trained but I am so scared to leave her and her have an accident. I wondered if they would let me put a pull up on her just in case.....
I am also scared to leave her because of all of her needs. Thanks!

Thank you for this thread. We have a 6yr old special needs daughter. Who is daytime Potty trained but I am so scared to leave her and her have an accident. I wondered if they would let me put a pull up on her just in case.....

Don't know about the pull up, but the clubs usually can't provide one one one attention for special needs kids, nor can they accompany children into the bathroom. I don't think they will change the kids either although there have been some sporadic posts that say otherwise. They call the parent to change the kid.

Our 4 year old had an accident once too. She'd been fully-trained for awhile, but got too wrapped up in playing and forgot to listen to her body until it was too late. We were called to take her to get changed, although she was already in dry shorts when we got there. She was allowed to come back without any issue.

One thing to note, the CMs cannot help them go to the bathroom. They really need to be able to go into the bathroom and get undressed/dressed on their own. My daughter had never gone in alone before, although she could do it all herself, she was unsure at first. So we had her try to open all the doors and shut and lock/unlock the stalls when we visited during Open House hours before she was there on her own.

There is a wide range of "special needs" in children. If she functions adequately in a group setting (school) without direct 1:1 assistance, then she'll likely be fine. DCL will not provide 1:1 for any child; if that's needed you'll be welcomed to bring her to the Club/Lab during Open House hours and stay with her to help her participate. Our DD has developmental delays and I was a little concerned, but she had a great time in the Club, though we only left her for a couple hours at a time.

Don't worry about a potty accident, they'll call you if it happens; I doubt they'll allow a pull-up and you probably don't want to encourage regression by doing that anyway.

Enjoy your cruise!

There is a wide range of "special needs" in children. If she functions adequately in a group setting (school) without direct 1:1 assistance, then she'll likely be fine. DCL will not provide 1:1 for any child; if that's needed you'll be welcomed to bring her to the Club/Lab during Open House hours and stay with her to help her participate. Our DD has developmental delays and I was a little concerned, but she had a great time in the Club, though we only left her for a couple hours at a time.

Don't worry about a potty accident, they'll call you if it happens; I doubt they'll allow a pull-up and you probably don't want to encourage regression by doing that anyway.

Enjoy your cruise!

I signed her up and we will see....we will visit open hours first. I will make sure she goes to the restroom before I leave. She is still in pull ups at night and long drives. but making great gains. I am perfectly ok if she can't stay...we wouldn't leave her long but if she can experience a few minutes that would be great! But I completely understand them having their hands full and her not staying,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter