• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Potty training - new ideas?

I would do what I did with our youngest, and I only recommend this with kids over three. We chose a date, a week or so out and told him that after that date there would be no more diaper. (never used pull ups). They must be out of the house completely. I bought two laundry baskets and a ton of fun themed underwear. I them gave all the control to him. He was quite smart and verbal and completely able to control the situation. Clean underwear in one basket, wet or dirty in the other and he had to change himself. I would remind him he might want to go, but no forces....his choice. About two days later, no wet underwear at all. A bit longer for poops and he wet the bed maybe once or twice ever after that day. He needed the control and giving it too him made it happen. Have shared this with others and it almost always works as long as the child is truly ready to train.

Is he in daycare or preschool? I found that both my girls got right with the program when they were put into preschool and most of the other kids were potty trained.

I agree with making the children change themselves. They dont like it, especally if they can see other kids (siblings,parents) having fun when they are changing. We do this is our daycare and they seem to potty train faster (at least at school)

Our boys would not pee if we made them sit down to do it. They saw daddy stand up, and they wanted to stand too. We bought them a step stool, let them pick out undies that they liked, and let them stand. They were both trained by the time they were two, and never once sat to pee. We also never used a potty seat that you had to empty. We bought one of those seats that for on a real toilet, and that's where they went for number two.
I did the same thing with my boys. I used a small step stool (actually a small wooden box). He liked to stand. But this was the exciting part for him...I squirted a little bit of dish soap in the toilet and he got to make bubbles. When he urinates, he makes bubbles in the toilet bowl. An added bonus is it kept my toilet nice and clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter