Potty Training/Bed Wetting: Question

Apopper74

Mouseketeer
We go to WDW in November. My youngest DS will be 3 on the trip. I decided I needed to get the potty train chugging in May as he needed at least 6 months practicing before we went to WDW or it would need to wait until after the trip. It felt like it took forever to fully potty my older son who was almost the same age as my youngest when we went when he was potty training with 6 months training in, but DS3 took to it quickly. We are now almost 2 months in and we haven't had an accident since day 4 and he has been waking with a dry diaper since day 5. Last night was his first night sleeping in just underwear. My older son slept in diapers over a year after we transitioned to potty training.

I am very proud of him and I know accidents happen which I am prepared for. My question is we are staying DVC with only trash & towels on day 4, but now that DS3 is showing he does not need diapers I would prefer not to go backwards while on vacation and continue to let him sleep in underwear. If he has a bed wetting accident would we be charged a cleaning fee? I only ask because it seemed with my older son he would go for long periods with no accident and then he would wet the bed a few nights in a row.

Obviously if I think bed wetting would be an issue I would bring some diapers to sleep in, I may even bring some just in case but WDW is a whole sensory overload and I could see a child getting easily distracted or simply exhausted.

When my kids were that age, they wore underwear to bed and I put a Pull Up on over the undies to contain any accidents that may happen while they slept.

I really do not think they would change you a fee, they did not charge us one when DS threw up on the sheets......over and over one night! Both of my boys night trained at the same time as they day trained. First NEVER had a bed time accident, but little guy had a few and they were always and only when we had been somewhere like WDW where he had drank more and was more tired than normal. He never got up to go to the potty so not sure why the tired factor but it was consistent. I would take a few chug pads and just put it under the sheet to protect the mattress. You can also put it on top the mattress if you think it would not bother him. I am sure that WDW is very used to bed wetting accidents.

I'd let him wear pull ups at night. He's still young to control his nighttime wetting and I don't think the feeling of a pull up at night would make a difference like it would during the day. My daughter woke up dry for months..until she was daytime trained! Now she almost always wakes up wet. I don't want to rush her, because night training is tough. I just know after an exhausting Disney day, I wouldn't want to be up in the middle of the night dealing with that!! Not worth it, even if it requires a little bit of "review" time back at home.

I don't think you can make that call now. A lot can happen between now and Nov. I would decide once it gets closer. If he has been staying dry from now to Nov, I wouldn't bother with pull ups, but if he has accidents a few times a week, then I would bring some to have "just in case".

We may be in a similar predicament, my little one is day time trained, but still wears a pull up at night. However, lately she has been waking up dry, so we may night time train soon. We are also going in Nov.

Thank you. They were all very good suggestions. As a PP stated I do have plenty of time to see what happens but I now have time to think about it and see how things progress to change game plan if need be.

My 2 older night trained and day trained at the same time...and in about a week. Felt like mom of the year and didn't understand these people that said it took months to train their kids...
#3 threw me off my high horse and taught me that each kid is truly different! Little stinker took a good 6-9 months to day train and we are about 95% night trained- still has accidents maybe once or twice a month!

That being said, if you really don't want to use a pull-up (though the idea of OVER the underwear is a GREAT idea)know the size of the bed and put the mattress protector. I am guessing the DVC is a studio and doesn't have washer/dryer in room, so maybe bring your own sheets as well?

Good luck! I'll be in the same boat or next visit with #4!

I would bring a waterproof pad to put under the sheet. We did that at home too. And wore nighttime pull-ups over underwear just in case.

We also brought a waterproof sheet just in case. She never went the bed, but at least we knew that it was there as a measure of protection.

Our 3 year old is trained for day, and 95% of the time wakes dry and just goes potty when he wakes. But 'exciting' days usually result in an accident so we just put a pull up on him at night when we expect it. Yesterday we took him to his first baseball game. He looooooooooooved it, and drank a ton of fluids (mostly water!) -- we took him potty pretty much hourly since he had to go, and he got a much-needed just in case pull up last night and it was the right call!

I'd bring some along - even though we are still 4 months out from our trip, I plan to pack a nightly pull up just to be safe. They dont' take much room and it's peace of mind.

But I'm not DVC either. If you have a laundry facility in your room/villa/suite/whatever I'd layer towels under him and then do laundry for the sheets and towels if there was an accident maybe?

I would just bring a waterproof mattress pad.

I would bring a waterproof pad to put under the sheet. We did that at home too. And wore nighttime pull-ups over underwear just in case.

I agree with these suggestions. We always travel with GoodNites disposable bed pads. I feel better knowing that if an accident occurs, we haven't created much of a mess. Just peel it off and throw away, replace with a fresh pad for the next night. Don't forget to pack extra jammies as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

Being DVC, you can also do laundry!

My suggestion is pull ups at bed (should not be confusing at night like it would be during the day) and the good nites pads. I know my kids sleep dead to the world at Disney and drink a lot of fluids and it is not unusual for an accident to happen.

Our 3 year old is trained for day, and 95% of the time wakes dry and just goes potty when he wakes. But 'exciting' days usually result in an accident so we just put a pull up on him at night when we expect it. Yesterday we took him to his first baseball game. He looooooooooooved it, and drank a ton of fluids (mostly water!) -- we took him potty pretty much hourly since he had to go, and he got a much-needed just in case pull up last night and it was the right call!

I'd bring some along - even though we are still 4 months out from our trip, I plan to pack a nightly pull up just to be safe. They dont' take much room and it's peace of mind.

But I'm not DVC either. If you have a laundry facility in your room/villa/suite/whatever I'd layer towels under him and then do laundry for the sheets and towels if there was an accident maybe?

This whole "exciting" day thing is big. He may be so tired at the end of the day he can't wake up to go to the bathroom. Bring a mattress pad.

We weren't charged for accidents and sheet changes as DVC members - now, my youngest is almost sixteen so my information is dated - but a sheet change in the middle of the night by housekeeping means everyone is awake for forty minutes while you call down, they come up, change sheets, and you settle back in. It would have been much easier to have a disposable pad down that we could have picked up, swapped, changed jammies, and all settled back in - regardless of charge.

I would bring a mattress pad or something like that or use pull ups OVER the underwear. I don't have kids myself so I am going off of what I have read on these boards and from friends/family who have done this. The pull ups over the underwear work because you still get the wet feeling from an accident, but you have additional protection for the pajamas and bed.

It seems so long ago that PTing time, but I recall with one of mine, I think it was my oldest, she was diaper free with in a month. Of course she was 2.5 and stubborn as all heck to PT but when she did, she was day time trained with in a few days and I had her in a pull up for a month and she was dry every night so I took them away and took a chance, hated those first few days of not knowing if there was going to be a bed full of pee.

You can always bring a plastic bag to put under the mattress pad/sheet/etc... but I would think from now til November you should be fine and he may not want pull ups then as well.

I second the Goodnites disposable (stick on) matress pads. They are a big square that go on over the sheet. If it stays dry and you're not changing the sheets, you can just leave it on there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter