potty breaks in the kids club

i4nolez

Earning My Ears
We are cruising 5/18 on the Magic for 7 days. My newly turned 3 yr old hasn't been completely potty trained for very long. I am concerned about him becoming distracted and having accidents. Does anyone know if the 3-4 yr olds are taken for scheduled potty breaks? I was thinking that we might could go in every so often and take him to the restroom if they are not.

Thanks for any info.

You may want to periodically go in and take him yourself. Pull ups are not allowed, and they only allow one accident before they will not allow your child back into the kids clubs. I am not sure about taking the kids en masse to the potty. I think they only send them individually as needed.

Unless things have changed since 2000 they do schedule potty breaks. My DS was 4 at the time and they were taken regularly.

We came in once to pick him up and all the kids from his group were sitting against the wall in the club and I asked what was going on. It was a potty break! They line them all up and send them into the bathroom in groups of however many or maybe one at a time but they then go and sit by the wall so the counselors know who has gone and who has yet to go. He was not all that great with the potty thing at that time but did not have one accident on board.

Don't worry, it will work out:D

What a good question!

This is an issue I have been struggling with.

My DD3, will go WEEKS dry, and then have 2-3 accidents
in a day! Go figure! I would THINK they would take potty
breaks regularly, just as it is done in preschool. We are talking
about 3-4yo's! I will discuss it with the CM's and make sure
I monitor the situation. However, one strike and your out, sounds a little rough! I was hoping they would be more understanding.

Whatever the case, I will not let it ruin our fun time.
Come what may, we here to have FUN!!!

<
However, one strike and your out, sounds a little rough! I was hoping they would be more understanding.

>

I have not heard about the one strike you're out policy. It was not in force on our cruise (Oct 01) although my son did not have an accident. He was 3 at the time, and I did come to pick him up one day, and they were at a scheduled "potty" break. They also make sure the kids wash their hands. Which was nice to see!

I actually don't see anything wrong with a "one strike and your out" policy. I wouldn't want my child sitting on a chair or on the floor where another child had an accident. Gross!
Also the counselors shouldn't have to deal with accidents as well as keeping the kids occupied. The guidelines specifically state that children should be COMPLETELY potty trained.

DCL is very strict with the rule that children must be completely trained to be admitted to the clubs. They will page you if your child has an accident, but if you are concerned you can certainly feel free to stop by periodically to take him/her for a potty break yourself. :)

It is not that they are not "understanding" but they are not equipped to clean up and manage children who are not potty trained in the club. Hence that is why pull ups are not allowed. Flounders is an alternative for those still needing pull up and/or diaper changes. :)

Here's something I wish someone had warned me about - the sound of the toilet flushing is LOUD and frightened my DD (2 1/2). She became terrified of the potty and had two accidents the first day because of it. After that we were fine. But I noticed I wasn't the only one who's child left the bathroom stall before the parent flushed. So, if your child is newly potty trained and at all leary of the toilet/flushing thing, you may definitely want to take them yourself.

I applaude DCL efforts to ensure the hygiene of the clubs.
I also respect the primary function of the councelors is to care
for our children in a safe and entertaining environment.
This is what I expect for my kids.

I am reassured to hear they do have scheduled potty breaks,
however. With all the excitement and activity, even the most consistent child could make a mistake. Unless, of course you have the perfect child! LOL!

Thank you for the tips. Although I expect my DD will only spend
a few hours in the clubs (unless she won't come out!) I will
heed the advice to take her myself on occasion, should it be
a concern.

It made me laugh to remember how much the loud flushing scared my daughter who was 6 1/2 on our last cruise (Princess). She realized there was a slight delay between pushing the button and the loud sound so she would flush the toilet then run out of the bathroom! It was really cute and funny, thanks for reminding me!

Lisa

We were on the Wonder in April and I noticed that they do schedule potty breaks- usually before a new activity starts. The policy (at that time) for "accidents" was that they would page you if your child had one and they WERE allowed back into the club, but if they had a second one then your child could not use the club unattended. They do block off family time (we went at night from 5:30-6:00 just to do "something" before dinner).

I think the scheduled breaks might be perfect for your child. If you also have your child go to the restroom when you drop them off, they might be more inclined to remember where it is if they need to use it!

Thanks for everyones help. I have cruised before w/o kids and had forgotten about the flushing thing. That memory made me laugh. Will definitely have DS off the toilet before flushing! I think he will be fine. We don't intend to leave the children in all the time anyway. Thanks again!

Something fun to do for little kids -- and Big kids too (have the camcorder ready) --- Tear off a long piece of toilet paper. Put one end of toilet paper in the toilet and stretch the other end out the bathroom door in to the hallway (heck, my 'big' kids went the whole way across the stateroom -- but that was a BIT much). Now flush the toilet and watch it suck down the entire strand of toilet paper in one 'swoosh'!
:D

I just asked my 2 DDs (5 and 4) who are three time cruise veterans. The first time they checked into the club, a counselor took them over to the bathroom to show them where it was. They scheduled regular potty breaks -- a number of times I appeared to pick them up they were in the bathroom. The bathrooms were cute - -everything was very low to the ground (toilets, sinks, counters). The kids could also let a counselor know if they had to use the bathroom and could then go. I did find that they don't really monitor the bathrooms the entire time. I went into the girls' room a few times to find my DDs and once found a little girl (not my own) that needed help undoing the snaps on her pants (not a recommended outfit for the kid's club!)and another time found another little girl crying because her pee wasn't coming out (sorry to be so graphic). I helped the first girl and alerted a counselor to the plight of the second.
You may want to check in periodically early in your cruise to make sure that your child is comfortable going to the bathroom while in the club. My DDs were also a little freaked by the loud toilet flushing. Have a great trip! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter