Potentially dumb question about buying new cell phone

si-am

DIS Veteran
I have a cell phone through Verizon and I desperately need a new one (having battery issues with mine-- won't hold a charge even with a brand new battery).

I went to the Verizon store and they wouldn't let me buy a new phone without signing a whole new contract. I don't care about upgrading or getting anything free. I don't care about texting. I use my cell phone pretty rarely actually. I just want a new phone!

Is it possible to go somewhere like, say, Best Buy or Target and buy a new cell phone and just switch out the sim card? Without hassling with Verizon and new contracts at the same time?

I just want a phone that works!

I don't know anything about Verizon, but I have AT&T and I do this all the time. I have a plan I love that they don't offer anymore. I can keep my plan, but to get a new phone I either buy them off Ebay, buy them from a friend or buy a pay as you go phone and replace the sim card. They are always trying to get me to upgrade, but I just tell them I will only upgrade if I can keep my plan and they tell me thats not possible.

As long as it's Verizon compatible, you can buy a new phone yourself and just activate it with Verizon with your current phone number. No change to your plan, just switching telephones. Easy peasy.

I got dd13 a razor for about $70 on ebay (her phone broke, and she's not eligible for a new one yet). Verizon doesn't have sim cards, but you just activate it through an automated system on the phone.

You can not buy a subsidized cell phone without purchasing a contract, but if you are willing to pay full price for the hardware you should be able to. For example, with a 2 year contract the Blackberry Tour (the only Verizon phone I would even consider) is $149.99. You can buy it without extending the contract for $489.99. Problem solved.

If you buy a phone elsewhere make sure it is unlocked and a CDMA phone, no matter how hard you try a GSM phone won't work on Verizon.

Go to ebay and buy a used verizon compatible phone. Or ask around among your friends...someone may have an old phone gathering dust and be willing to give it to you (my dd was able to do this when her phone gave out).

BTW, they lied to you at the Verizon booth. You can always just pay full price for a new phone.

BTW, they lied to you at the Verizon booth. You can always just pay full price for a new phone.

That's what I was thinking! I had money and broken cell phone in hand and they wouldn't sell me one.

The complicating factor in all this is that the cell phone is actually an "ongoing gift" from my mother. When she got Verizon she got me a phone and added it to her account because it was really cheap for a second line and then she could call me for free all she wants. :laughing: So when I went to the Verizon store, they were saying I needed to bring HER in with me to sign a new contract since it's her account, but really I just wanted to buy a new phone, which shouldn't affect anything.

Anyway, since she and I don't live in the same town, it makes it sort of difficult.

Maybe I should just suck it up and get my own cell phone account! :rolleyes1

To answer your question, no you can't try Target or Best Buy, either. They can only charge you full retail, too. Do you really want to invest $200 - $300 in a new phone?

Since you don't use it a lot, ask around. Someone's got an old Verizon phone sitting around gathering dust. I know, I've got one!

That's what I was thinking! I had money and broken cell phone in hand and they wouldn't sell me one.

The complicating factor in all this is that the cell phone is actually an "ongoing gift" from my mother. When she got Verizon she got me a phone and added it to her account because it was really cheap for a second line and then she could call me for free all she wants. :laughing: So when I went to the Verizon store, they were saying I needed to bring HER in with me to sign a new contract since it's her account, but really I just wanted to buy a new phone, which shouldn't affect anything.

Anyway, since she and I don't live in the same town, it makes it sort of difficult.

Maybe I should just suck it up and get my own cell phone account! :rolleyes1

In your mom's contract, are you up for a new phone? Did she sign you up more than 2 years ago? I've had Verizon for years, and have my mom on my plan, and I let her know when she's eligible for a new phone.

You really need to get on ebay. After reading your post I was reminded that I needed to get a replacement phone for my ds. Found a RZOR and won the auction for $40., free shipping. The last time my dd was switching her phone number to her friend's, they gave me the code at the Verizon booth on which buttons to hit on the new phone to switch the number over. I have it written down someplace if you need it. Just go to ebay and buy a used phone, your life will be much better!

You really need to get on ebay. After reading your post I was reminded that I needed to get a replacement phone for my ds. Found a RZOR and won the auction for $40., free shipping. The last time my dd was switching her phone number to her friends, they gave me the code at the Verizon booth on which buttons to hit on the new phone to switch the number over. I have it written down someplace if you need it. Just go to ebay and buy a used phone, your life will be much better!

Verizon will give you the number needed to activate your new phone - it was very easy!

Side-note. Will somone puhlease buy a good timer for the person who estimates battery life in these things? Cause the one they're using is F.U.B.A.R. That is all.

If its just the battery giving you issues, I have another suggestion. Courtesy of the Verizon Salesperson at my local store....purchase a new battery on e-bay. I've done this many times. Runs me about 5.00 for a new battery that will last about 2 years. I've ordered them for other family members too, we have never had a problem. All the info you need is on your battery, just enter it into the e-bay search, and you'll find hundreds of them. Lisa

I don't know anything about Verizon, but I have AT&T and I do this all the time. I have a plan I love that they don't offer anymore. I can keep my plan, but to get a new phone I either buy them off Ebay, buy them from a friend or buy a pay as you go phone and replace the sim card. They are always trying to get me to upgrade, but I just tell them I will only upgrade if I can keep my plan and they tell me thats not possible.

They say you have to *upgrade*? That's odd. We get a new phone every two years, and we don't have to upgrade, we just continue with the same plan for another 2 years. And we have a ancient plan from Cingular that is lower than any ATT plan out there, so we definitely don't want to upgrade.

Side-note. Will somone puhlease buy a good timer for the person who estimates battery life in these things? Cause the one they're using is F.U.B.A.R. That is all.

Definitely! Especially the Sony Ericsson!

If its just the battery giving you issues, I have another suggestion. Courtesy of the Verizon Salesperson at my local store....purchase a new battery on e-bay. I've done this many times. Runs me about 5.00 for a new battery that will last about 2 years. I've ordered them for other family members too, we have never had a problem. All the info you need is on your battery, just enter it into the e-bay search, and you'll find hundreds of them. Lisa

Good idea.

OP is it because you went to a booth in the mall, rather than a proper Verizon store? With ATT those places are different, and can do different things. Try the store, if you don't want to go the other routes mentioned.

Oh and hubby would recommend looking on amazon, as well as ebay.

The one issue with changing phones is that Verizon will not activate smart phones on your old account unless you have a data plan. If the phone you were looking at falls in this category, then you must change your plan to activate the new phone. If you buy a phone on Ebay, make certain that it can be activated on your present account. Just call customer service and ask if the phone you want works with your present plan.

Sprint will let you buy without a contract as well. In fact, their phones have 2 prices. We just bought today. I did get the contract as I wanted a nice phone, but didn't want to pay big bucks. Plus, I am satisfied with their service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter