Potential Of Infectious Disease Onboard

Looks like the Mexican Authorities weren't taking any chances with the potential Ebola case... I copied this from the Carnival Cruise Line's News Blog.

Updated statement from Carnival Cruise Lines Oct. 17, 2014 – 12.30pm U.S. eastern time
Posted on: October 17th, 2014 - News Blog
Updated statement from Carnival Cruise Lines Oct. 17, 2014 – 12.30pm U.S. eastern time
The Carnival Magic, which was waiting off the coast of Cozumel, Mexico this morning to dock there for a scheduled port visit, had not received clearance from Mexican authorities to do so by 12 noon eastern time today and therefore the decision was made to proceed to Galveston to ensure the ship arrives there on time on Sunday morning. We greatly regret that this situation, which was completely beyond our control, precluded the ship from making its scheduled visit to Cozumel and the resulting disappointment it has caused our guests. The Texas healthcare worker on board continues to show no symptoms of illness and poses no risk to the guests or crew on board. The individual remains in voluntary isolation. Guests on the ship are being provided a $200 per person credit to their shipboard accounts and a 50 percent discount on a future cruise based on the missed visit to Cozumel.
6:00 am Statement:
Late afternoon on Wednesday, Oct. 15., we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. At no point in time has the individual exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection and it has been 19 days since she was in the lab with the testing samples. She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew. It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and at this time it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board.
Additional background:
None of Carnival Cruise Lines’ ships visit the region where Ebola cases are originating nor do our ships call in any countries with Level 3 CDC Travel Heath Notices. Any passengers or crew who have visited or traveled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date will be denied boarding. Additionally, all guests sailing with us must answer a series of health screening questions during embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board. All cruise lines continue to monitor the situation closely, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. The cruise industry is in close, frequent contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for updates and guidance.
Carnival Magic is based year-round in Galveston, TX and operates seven-day cruises to the Caribbean. The ship departed Galveston on Sunday, Oct. 12 and will return on Sunday, Oct. 19.
- See more at: http://carnival-news.com/2014/10/17/carnival-magic-statement-october-17-2014/#sthash.uNvql4Cw.dpuf

$200 Comp for change in intiniary; 50% discount for future cruise...
This can happen anywhere/anytime/land/sea, etc, obviously not just on Carnival...

Was the cruise just "cut short" by a day or were there several days left? Anyone know details?:confused3Ship headed back to Galveston correct?

Don't BLAME Mexico...They are "not taking chances"....:worried:

$200 Comp for change in intiniary; 50% discount for future cruise...
This can happen anywhere/anytime/land/sea, etc, obviously not just on Carnival...

Was the cruise just "cut short" by a day or were there several days left? Anyone know details?:confused3Ship headed back to Galveston correct?

Don't BLAME Mexico...They are "not taking chances"....:worried:

Schedule has it heading out again on Sunday, so it wasn't cut short, just missed it's day in Cozumel. I would take that deal any day of the week on DCL. Miss a single port of call, get $200 OBC and 50% off next cruise, sign me up!

$200 Comp for change in intiniary; 50% discount for future cruise... This can happen anywhere/anytime/land/sea, etc, obviously not just on Carnival... Was the cruise just "cut short" by a day or were there several days left? Anyone know details?:confused3Ship headed back to Galveston correct? Don't BLAME Mexico...They are "not taking chances"....:worried:

Normally there are some individuals on the ship that will post on another message board I'm on but I haven't found anyone on the ship yet. I did find a post where someone else made a comment that they found it odd no one is posting from aboard (not insinuating anything).

From what I gather, the OBC and future cruise discount is more of an attempt to compensate passengers for the missed port. Very generous, I think, seeing how it was completely out of Carnival's control. I've only sailed with them. My cruise tomorrow will be our first DCL and I completely agree. This could happen on ANY cruise line. I think they are just heading back to Galveston and probably just cruising at a slower speed than they would have if they would have stayed in Cozumel.

I know this is a DCL board but since we are talking about infectious diseases/Ebola, I'm just sharing news as I get it. I also feel for CCL because they've had a run of bad luck (be it lack of maintenance, careless captains, whatever), and again, this could happen to any cruise line or anywhere.

I thought Belize wouldn't allow them in port. This message from carnival says cozumel.

Correct me if I am wrong but if a captain decides that for some reason, usually weather related that a ship must omit a port or change itiniary, I don't believe that there is any compensation!

VERY FAIR offer, given totally out of Carnival's control and the cruise is not being shortened!

LET'S HOPE that NO ONE on this ship is stricken with Ebola! Let's HOPE FOR THE BEST!:goodvibes:goodvibes

I thought Belize wouldn't allow them in port. This message from carnival says cozumel.

Cozumel would not allow the ship to dock. There is some confusion about what exactly happened in Belize. Some stories have said none of the passengers were allowed to disembark, other said the woman and her companion (husband?) were in isolation and stayed on ship while other passengers got off. So, im not sure what happened there, but I am sure it will all come out at some point.

Some of the passengers on board the Carnival ship have spoken or gotten in contact with people off ship...or at least that is the impression given by this ABC news article. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-scare-creates-utter-panic-caribbean-cruise-ship/story?id=26276019

It's very hard taking latex gloves off and not touch skin with the exposed part of the glove. I've done first aid at large camping events and gloves were standard for treating cuts and blisters. I'm sure I got biological materials on my hands. I of course washed afterwards, just saying its a really hard thing. And I'm sure people are going to be more careful and hopefully better trained.

It is not , with proper training (which most hcp receive).

I copied this from the other thread about Ebola:

OK, for background...my wife and I are both physicians, and I actively participate in public health.

I would not be the least big concerned about Ebola. Heck, a GI virus like we have seen on other ships would worry me more than that, and I am not all that worried about that either on Disney.

Why they are freaking out on this Carnival cruise makes no sense to me. The patient has no symptoms, had no direct contact with the patient..they are virtually no risk. I still think it was dumb of her to go on the cruise, considering all the fear surrounding it...but the risk is virtually zero.

I copied this from the other thread about Ebola:

OK, for background...my wife and I are both physicians, and I actively participate in public health.

I would not be the least big concerned about Ebola. Heck, a GI virus like we have seen on other ships would worry me more than that, and I am not all that worried about that either on Disney.

Why they are freaking out on this Carnival cruise makes no sense to me. The patient has no symptoms, had no direct contact with the patient..they are virtually no risk. I still think it was dumb of her to go on the cruise, considering all the fear surrounding it...but the risk is virtually zero.

My concern - and it really isn't much of one, isn't the risk of me or my family contracting ebola, but the impact on travel that reactions can have. Heck look at just today with a Carnival ship. 2 weeks ago there were 4 people that were "of interest", then there were 140 on a couple of flights, now there's over 800. In a couple days it's going to be unmanageable.

I would love to go on a cruise, but if I wasn't scared before about getting a bug on a boat, I sure am now!!!

Mylife, why are you scared?? Yes people get sick. Yes people OVERREACT over the smallest things. Cleaning a airline seat with a bleach wipe prior to sitting down? Overreaction. On a Disney cruise you have already seen prior comments how cast members hand out wipes when entering dining establishments.

If you live in a bubble, people will treat yo like that as well. Get out and enjoy life, cuz it's too damn short

Mylife, why are you scared?? Yes people get sick. Yes people OVERREACT over the smallest things. Cleaning a airline seat with a bleach wipe prior to sitting down? Overreaction. On a Disney cruise you have already seen prior comments how cast members hand out wipes when entering dining establishments.

If you live in a bubble, people will treat yo like that as well. Get out and enjoy life, cuz it's too damn short

I would just like to say that not everything is an overreaction. While I'm not concerned about an illness, I have a severe peanut allergy which is airborne. Most airlines fully wipe down my seat and the 2-3 in my row for me. I've never asked for this, they just do it. I've had other airlines ask if I'd like to fully wipe down my seats or someone else in my family. This is necessary because if there is residue on my seat, I have can have reaction (and have in the past) So not everything is an over reaction

While I've been closely following the Ebola situation both here and abroad, not out of fear but because of a decades-long interest in the topic, one slightly humorous question just came to mind regarding cruising - - -

Given the "bodily fluids" transmission and considering what we all know Guests sometimes do in pools (and not always just kids!), do you think the shipboard pools might be a little less crowded in the near future? :lmao:

Sorry . . . I just HAD to say it. I've never used the pools anyway. ;)

While I've been closely following the Ebola situation both here and abroad, not out of fear but because of a decades-long interest in the topic, one slightly humorous question just came to mind regarding cruising - - -

Given the "bodily fluids" transmission and considering what we all know Guests sometimes do in pools (and not always just kids!), do you think the shipboard pools might be a little less crowded in the near future? :lmao:

Sorry . . . I just HAD to say it. I've never used the pools anyway. ;)

Ebola does not spread in swimming pools. I'm sure it's the fun chemicals in them. :P http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/health...-travellers/Pages/information-travellers.aspx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter