Potential Of Infectious Disease Onboard

Imagine the media uproar if a passenger on DCL, or any cruise line, was infected with Ebola! :crazy2:

I say don't worry about it, and stick to worrying about norovirus.

Whilst having respect for world events and any outbreak of any infectious illness is a concern a little perspective.

How many people who are concerned, drive a car? Have you given up driving due to the number of car accidents that lead to death? I say that as its a real statistic, there is a high risk, in a car and you more likely to have a car accident on the way to the airport or port than currently contract this illness.

Whilst having respect for world events and any outbreak of any infectious illness is a concern a little perspective. How many people who are concerned, drive a car? Have you given up driving due to the number of car accidents that lead to death? I say that as its a real statistic, there is a high risk, in a car and you more likely to have a car accident on the way to the airport or port than currently contract this illness.

To add to this while it is a serious world health issue that should be treated as such, given all the hysteria around this you need to step back and understand the true scope. In the hardest hit parts of the world do you know how many people have died of Ebola in Western Africa? 4000.... That's less than a tenth of the deaths bc of the common flu in the US in a bad year....and yet everyone doesn't race out to get flu shots every year.

Pixie Dust is a cure all. I'm not going to think about ANYTHING negative while I'm on my vacation. Let the Disney magic consume me and take me away to a far away place!

I'm sure if the CDC offers any suggestions for cruise lines or other venues where groups gather, DCL will apply them in addition to the methods they currently have on every cruise to help minimize passing viruses from guest to guest that are more easily transmittable. DCL has always taken potential health issues seriously. When the H1N1 virus broke out and had a lot of cases in Mexico, they changed our cruise itinerary so we did not make a port call in Mexico to minimize the chance one guest might encounter it in port and bring it to the rest of us on board. In hind sight, this may have been a bit over cautious but it was right when the news was breaking about it and no one was sure of the impact. DCL is always conservative; I would expect them to be with any health issue. At this point though, I don't know how they would screen for Ebola and most of the time they are dependent on the honor system to fill out health questionnaires or report to the ship doctor any potential "Noro-virus" symptoms.

I have been to Africa MANY times, as I used to lead photo safaris and conduct in-the-field photo workshops in Kenya and Tanzania. Thankfully, I have not been to West Africa, but even in East Africa there is illness and suffering . . just not Ebola.

I think "awareness" is key in any situation. On a cruise, using common sense and taking reasonable (or excessive if you have the tendency - lol) precautions to not contract ANY illness (Who wants to get sick on their cruise?) is wise. Beyond that, "Don't worry, be happy!" is the best attitude! :cool1:

I would treat it as I normally would. Wash your hands after going out on the ship (pushing elevator buttons, opening a door or holding a hand rail, etc..). When eating always try to clean your hands before you eat. This also means after you have touched the menu's or the handles on the buffet. Disney offers cleaning wipes when you go into a dining area but I like to clean my hands again right before I eat because not everyone use the wipes. Also if there is a outbreak of any kind Disney will serve the food at the buffet instead of letting everyone get the food themselves.

Enjoy your cruise!! :cool1:

I'm not going to lie. I'm a little freaked out about my family getting sick. I'm not usually this worried but now that I will have my 3 year old with me, I am worried. The biggest thing that concerns me is the mortality rate with this virus.

This is sarcasm.... Just think how cheap cruises will become if Ebola hits just one cruise ship.

Reminds me of the swine flu outbreak.
We ended up going on a cruise just after Mexico was reopened. Pricing dropped extremely low on many cruise lines.

Be aware of illness and symptoms, but it's not as bad as the media makes it.

To add to this while it is a serious world health issue that should be treated as such, given all the hysteria around this you need to step back and understand the true scope. In the hardest hit parts of the world do you know how many people have died of Ebola in Western Africa? 4000.... That's less than a tenth of the deaths bc of the common flu in the US in a bad year....and yet everyone doesn't race out to get flu shots every year.

How about a little different perspective... Current estimated mortality rate for this outbreak of Ebola is 70%. Common Flu is what, under 10% mortality rate? Every time you get in your car, you don't have a 7 in 10 chance of dying. That's the cause for nervousness, the high mortality rate.

I emailed today asking about their procedures for staff and passengers. This was their response back:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are excited you will be traveling with us in January and can assure
you that we are aware of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) travel warning urging U.S. residents to avoid on essential travel
to Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone due to the outbreaks of Ebola. As
you probably know, the CDC says that Ebola does not spread through the
air like flu, and recommends that travelers to Liberia, Guinea, and
Sierra Leone avoid contact with the body fluids of people who are sick.
We are following the CDC guidelines and are monitoring the situation
very closely, and, while we do not have any Crew Members from these
countries, we do question all Crew about their recent travels. In
addition, we regularly screen our Guests and Crew Members for a variety
health conditions.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Rebekah Young
Executive Guest Correspondent
Disney Cruise Line

Am I nervous? Yes. But we will continue to watch, and assess our plans as needed. I do have faith that Disney will take care of their passengers.

Any time you have a lot of people in a confined space, the risk of illness is sharply higher. College dorms, nursing homes, cruise ships, schools and your work place are all potential place you can be exposed.

I always am aware of the risk on illness on a cruise, so personal hygiene is always a top priority. Washing hands and hand saniitizer. I don't think Ebola would be on my list of illness I was specifically concerned about. flu, and colds, followed by Norovirus would be.

But I had a co-worker die from the flu last year. She was only 47, a health nut, cross country runner, picture of health, until the flu hit. So in my world, flu is my biggest concern.

Ah haha I thought I was the only one lol. My family groans when I pull out my wipes. We get on the plane and I wipe down the tray and had rails. We get to the room and I wipe down phone ,remote , door knobs light switches etc. in my defense we usually travel with my dad who is in kidney failure so if I can expose him to less it's better. I have never been on a cruise but I will be doing the same in our cabin next month. I have a dd that bites her nails so she picks up everything. I have to let them go to the kids clubs but the thought of it makes me cringe!

Same here on all the above! On our last Disney cruise they were great about being EVERYWHERE with their sanitizing wipes. Some people might have felt it was too much, but I was very grateful! So wash and sanitize, don't touch buttons, door knobs and railings directly (with fingertips that might wipe an eye a few minutes later) etc. This is good practice for any public place, especially in flu season!

As far as what the cruise lines do or do not do; I will say that I have some behind the scenes knowledge of HAL, and can say that they are very meticulous and have protocols and procedures for EVERYTHING (that all the staff KNOW and FOLLOW). In this sense, I have the feeling that the cruise lines are better prepared for many eventualities than a lot of institutions/companies/public entities on land.

On that note tough, does anyone know, if the Club/Lab on the Wonder have the hand washing machines now, that they have on the Dream?
Or are they standing there with the wipes for every child to use upon entry??This is my only worry, keeping the kiddos healthy...

Same here on all the above! On our last Disney cruise they were great about being EVERYWHERE with their sanitizing wipes. Some people might have felt it was too much, but I was very grateful! So wash and sanitize, don't touch buttons, door knobs and railings directly (with fingertips that might wipe an eye a few minutes later) etc. This is good practice for any public place, especially in flu season! As far as what the cruise lines do or do not do; I will say that I have some behind the scenes knowledge of HAL, and can say that they are very meticulous and have protocols and procedures for EVERYTHING (that all the staff KNOW and FOLLOW). In this sense, I have the feeling that the cruise lines are better prepared for many eventualities than a lot of institutions/companies/public entities on land. On that note tough, does anyone know, if the Club/Lab on the Wonder have the hand washing machines now, that they have on the Dream? Or are they standing there with the wipes for every child to use upon entry??This is my only worry, keeping the kiddos healthy...

The Wonder doesn't have hand washing machines, but they don't give kids wipes, either. They squirt soap in their hands as they come in and send them straight back to the bathrooms to wash their hands. The wipes are just for parents, CMs, or kids leaving the club.

Any time you have a lot of people in a confined space, the risk of illness is sharply higher. College dorms, nursing homes, cruise ships, schools and your work place are all potential place you can be exposed.

I always am aware of the risk on illness on a cruise, so personal hygiene is always a top priority. Washing hands and hand saniitizer. I don't think Ebola would be on my list of illness I was specifically concerned about. flu, and colds, followed by Norovirus would be.

But I had a co-worker die from the flu last year. She was only 47, a health nut, cross country runner, picture of health, until the flu hit. So in my world, flu is my biggest concern.

Confined spaces concern me...College dorms; that is why colleges ensure that students have their vaccines up do date! Particularly meninogoccal vaccine for the prevention of bacterial meningitis. Read last year a story of a college student who passed away from bacterial meningitis who was not up to date on immunizations! So SCARY of of these diseases!

Do you know if your healthy coworker got a FLU VACCINE? DH,myself, and sons have received flu shots for years! Personally, wouldn't NOT GET A FLU VACCINE and I heard on the news this year particularly is predicted to be bad since the flu symptoms can mimic Ebola more people will be running to hospitals...Think that hospitals will be OVERLOADED this winter!:worried::scared1:

SAD about your co worker..47 is so YOUNG!

Confined spaces concern me...College dorms; that is why colleges ensure that students have their vaccines up do date! Particularly meninogoccal vaccine for the prevention of bacterial meningitis. Read last year a story of a college student who passed away from bacterial meningitis who was not up to date on immunizations! So SCARY of of these diseases!

Do you know if your healthy coworker got a FLU VACCINE? DH,myself, and sons have received flu shots for years! Personally, wouldn't NOT GET A FLU VACCINE and I heard on the news this year particularly is predicted to be bad since the flu symptoms can mimic Ebola more people will be running to hospitals...Think that hospitals will be OVERLOADED this winter!:worried::scared1:

SAD about your co worker..47 is so YOUNG!

She did not, which makes it more tragic since our company provided flu shots for free at work. Everyone who did not get a flu shot was given a second opportunity to get one after our co-worker passed away.

I have to say I'm a little concerned, though not enough to cancel my cruise in December. Keeping a watchful eye on the news and I hope they get this contained before it become a real epidemic.

I'm also taking a flight out of state for Thanksgiving and I'm more concerned for that that I am a cruise. I'll be bringing lots of sanitizer.

How about a little different perspective... Current estimated mortality rate for this outbreak of Ebola is 70%. Common Flu is what, under 10% mortality rate? Every time you get in your car, you don't have a 7 in 10 chance of dying. That's the cause for nervousness, the high mortality rate.

Ebola is a scary thing bottom line, but it is important to stay with the facts. To date the mortality rate of those treated in US hospitals is well BELOW 70%. Ideally treatment facilities and procedures are better in the US than in West African countries.

Why is this important, the facts of the matter is that to date no one in the general US public has been infected by Ebola, only time will tell if this changes in the future. Additionally b/c the likelihood of contracting ebola is fractions of a % statistically the mortality rate is much lower technically than the common flu which most people don't even give a second thought too....

just trying to balance this feeding into the hysteria.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter