Potential New Buyer - Unique Situation

WEDWAY100

Mouseketeer
I’ve been reading the DVC boards for a while now but this is my first post here. (You can occasionally find me in news and rumors). I’m considering buying into DVC and I would use it in a unique way. I would appreciate your opinions and insight.

First some background. I live an hour’s drive from WDW. I have an AP and I am usually a day guest. I’ve grown tired of driving home from the resort late at night, or trying to find the right deal at an on property hotel for a one night stay.

I’m thinking about buying a resale at SSR (due to the extra 12 years and low maintenance fees). I absolutely do not care which resort I stay at. I would buy approximately 150 points to start.

Now here’s the part I’m not sure about. I want to do several one night stays per year, usually booking those at the last minute. I may even be in the park on a specific day and decide to spend the night. I can confine the nights to Sunday through Thursday, and stay away from the most expensive seasons, so the points per night would be low.

The thing that I have no clue about is how often there would be a room available in a DVC resort on a single day’s notice. Since I’d like to get as many nights as possible for my points, I’d like the stays to be in studio rooms (this would be for 2 adults max). Depending on the points, I would possibly upgrade if no studio rooms were available.

So two questions for anyone who is kind enough to care:

1. What success rate do you think I would have booking rooms for one night on a very short (1 day or same day) notice?

2. What else should I consider that I haven’t thought about?

I would be really happy with an 80% success rate. If it were below 60%, I’d probably not be happy with the purchase.

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.

I've never booked at the last minute, so can't give you any substantial advice. I would think your success rate would depend on the season. Many DVC members tend to travel when the points are lower, which doesn't always compare with the slow times at the parks. As an example, the first week of December is a busy DVC time, but not necessarily a busy general resort time.(does that make sense?)

Just remember that if you are at a park and want to make a call to MS to check availability, their hours are only until 5pm (or is it 6pm). So you would need to make your plans before that time, and they are not open at all Sat or Sun.

I can only compare to one circumstance - this past March 11th, I tried to get a studio for one night, as we were stranded by a snowstorm. There was nothing. We called around 1pm.

Since you will only be calling "day of" on M-F, remember that the Sun-Thu nights are the most popular nights because of the lower points. SO calling Fri for a Fri room may be your best chance of a room some seasons.

Also - my opinion is that this will not work much at all for you certain times of the year - beginning of Dec, most if not all of Oct and the really busy weeks around Easter and Christmas/New Years. If you read a few threads here - you will see that folks are already on wait lists for those timeframes.

There is an alternative though - since you live so close and go so often you may not care much about having points in the 60 day holding account. Remember you can book a night a couple of weeks out and then release the night if you change your mind about going. Sounds like you will probably be booking most nights in the 60 day window anyway.

Thanks for the quick response!
carol1231 said:
you would need to make your plans before that time, and they are not open at all Sat or Sun.
I did not know that MS is not open on Sat or Sun. This could kill the deal by itself. I'd like to primarily go on Sun, and stay Sun nights. I'd at least like the flexibility of a 7 day week.
kathleena said:
SO calling Fri for a Fri room may be your best chance of a room some seasons.
If I were to always use a Friday or Saturday night, that would kill the deal as well. I'd be better off hunting through the hotel deals.

One other thought I had is to buy an inexpensive condo close to WDW. I looked into it, but decided that the upkeep and expenses weren't worth it.

Maybe it's best just to stay with the on property hotels.

We've booked at the last minute - we were already there and decided we needed a couple more days vacation. It was a Wednesday - we called and booked for Thursday and Friday. Month of May , no problem, but did have to move from BWV to OKW. We needed a 2 bedroom, don't know about your luck for anything smaller.

I believe you can call the hotel direct if it is after hours or on the weekend but I am not 100% sure on that one.

Just to share my experience, I had booked a studio at SSR for Mother's Day (5/8/05). As I got closer to our trip, I realized it would be much more convenient to be at BWV or BCV b/c we would be spending the day at Epcot and the night at MGM. I started calling the week before to check availability. At one time there was a 1BR at BCV and then a 2BR at OKW but no studios for BCV or BWV popped up. I checked at least twice a day every day. We were happy with our SSR studio. Good luck.

mikesmom said:
I believe you can call the hotel direct if it is after hours or on the weekend but I am not 100% sure on that one.

That is correct! :goodvibes After MS hours you can still book a stay on points by dealing directly with the resort.

One of the things you might want to consider is the possibility of losing any unused points. If you're going to do last-minute one-night stays, and you don't use your points by the banking deadlines, and you can't get your last-minute ressies, you will lose your points.

Just food for thought.

Keep in mind that while you can call the resort directly after hours, I'm pretty certain they can only help you with that particular resort. Unlike MS which can check all resorts, if you were trying to get something on a Sunday for example, you might have to call each resort separately to try to find something. That's 5 different WDW DVC resorts.

I wouldn't totally abandon your idea just yet but I would consider whether you might be able to adapt slightly.

One way to work this and improve your chances of getting what you want is to book in advance and cancel if you don't need it. You can probably see somewhat of a pattern to your trips -- try to anticipate and plan. For instance, maybe you always go down in mid-May to catch the Flower Festival. Go ahead and book a night 6 months (or more in advance). If you find you're not going then this year, cancel it and then try to book last minute when you do plan the trip. Switching to this pattern can also help you get in those get-aways you like and really make them happen.

If you truly book day of you're pretty much dependent on cancellations coming through. DVC releases the rooms for sale at 60 days and with tourism picking up those rooms will probably be filled.

FWIW...we've done a few different last minute trips on points but not usually "day of" we have however called on a Monday for a Thurs. night so if you can call a day or 2 before...that may work. Not so sure being in the park already and just deciding to stay the night will be successful nearly as often.:scratchin

Had a another thought, or rather a question, I guess. But first want to say that my post earlier was just an opinion - guesses based on things I had read about availability here on the boards......just don't want it to be totally discouraging to you.

Given that you have the FL resident rate opportunity and that you'd get mostly studios - I'm wondering if DVC is the best value for you? That same night that we were unable to get a studio, we were able to get an AP rate. Not sure how quickly the FL resident rates sell out? Just another possibility - in the long run - it could be cheaper and the only real difference is the microwave in the studio - the mods and deluxes all have refrigerators now.

I really appreciate the responses! This gives me more to think about. I was "on the fence" about this anyway, and the feedback most of you are giving makes me lean towards not doing this. It probably wouldn't work like I want it to.

kathleena said:
Given that you have the FL resident rate opportunity and that you'd get mostly studios - I'm wondering if DVC is the best value for you? That same night that we were unable to get a studio, we were able to get an AP rate. Not sure how quickly the FL resident rates sell out? Just another possibility - in the long run - it could be cheaper and the only real difference is the microwave in the studio - the mods and deluxes all have refrigerators now.
This is true, and perhaps I would be better off just booking last minute one night stays. I've done that before, and my biggest concern is that the rates can fluxuate wildly, based on what discounts are available on that day. But of course there is no large outlay up front like DVC, so maybe this is the best approach.

We've been able to get a studio a couple of times on short notice during Christmas. A couple of years ago we were driving to the in-laws in Naples & decided on a one night DVC stay; called and stayed @ OKW that night. Last year we were in Naples and wanted a DVC stay on the way home. Called Tuesday, no luck! Called again Wednesday @ 9 AM and were successful - BW view studio for that night! So, you could say we're 2 for 3 or 2 for 2; depending on how you look at it. I can't say that I'd want to plan all of our DVC stays this way, but in my experience, it is possible.

Don't do it - you'll be disappointed far more often than not. Murphy's Law rules here. You'll read about members who have last minute success, but you won't read about the many more who don't. DVC is not a good system for last minute reservations.

60 days prior to check in, DVC releases any inventory not booked for points to CRO, who offers it to the general public for cash. Doubt there are many unused room most of the time.

If you are too tired to drive back to Tampa, why not just grab something close by, but off site? It will be cheaper and probably a lot easier to find. And no advance financial commitment or worries about using what you already paid for. Worst that could happen - you drive home.

Best wishes-

WEDWAY100 said:

I would be really happy with an 80% success rate. If it were below 60%, I’d probably not be happy with the purchase.

If you are just going to stay in a studio for one night, I say DVC is not for you. You would be better off calling CRO and trying to get an AP rate at one of the Moderates. (or the Value if you can stand it) Also, you will mos def NOT get better than a 50% success rate for a last minute studio most times of the year. I've tried it, and ended up at Caribbean Beach which was nice.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice! I very much appreciate all of the responses.

CarolMN said:
Don't do it - you'll be disappointed far more often than not. Murphy's Law rules here. You'll read about members who have last minute success, but you won't read about the many more who don't. DVC is not a good system for last minute reservations.

60 days prior to check in, DVC releases any inventory not booked for points to CRO, who offers it to the general public for cash. Doubt there are many unused room most of the time.
I think this is probably dead on right. I think the best thing for me is to just keep booking the occasional one night stays.

WEDWAY100 said:
I’ve been reading the DVC boards for a while now but this is my first post here. (You can occasionally find me in news and rumors). I’m considering buying into DVC and I would use it in a unique way. I would appreciate your opinions and insight.

First some background. I live an hour’s drive from WDW. I have an AP and I am usually a day guest. I’ve grown tired of driving home from the resort late at night, or trying to find the right deal at an on property hotel for a one night stay.

I’m thinking about buying a resale at SSR (due to the extra 12 years and low maintenance fees). I absolutely do not care which resort I stay at. I would buy approximately 150 points to start.

Now here’s the part I’m not sure about. I want to do several one night stays per year, usually booking those at the last minute. I may even be in the park on a specific day and decide to spend the night. I can confine the nights to Sunday through Thursday, and stay away from the most expensive seasons, so the points per night would be low.

The thing that I have no clue about is how often there would be a room available in a DVC resort on a single day’s notice. Since I’d like to get as many nights as possible for my points, I’d like the stays to be in studio rooms (this would be for 2 adults max). Depending on the points, I would possibly upgrade if no studio rooms were available.

So two questions for anyone who is kind enough to care:

1. What success rate do you think I would have booking rooms for one night on a very short (1 day or same day) notice?

I have booked lastminute about 50 times since 91.............and i bet our success rate is close to 90% as long as you have no issues where you stay they will find you a spot.............but it may not be a studio it maybe alot bigger than you want..........and it wont happen around holidays...........unless there is last minute cancellations and there are.........we got one Thanksgiving weekend the night before thanksgiving and MS had my cell phone..........we were at the plaza that night for the Parade and were in WDW the next AM...........so it can happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter