• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

POTC attraction to add Tia Dalma

The attraction as it stands today isn't the same as in the "classic" sense anyway.......it has already been abandoned due to political correctness.

True, but that wasn't a complete redo.

How is adding a Tia Dalma animatronic figure "ruining" the spirit of the attraction whereas the PC changes did not?

Because the original spirit is NOT Johnny Depp, NOT Orlando Bloom, NOT Billy Nighy, and certainly not the actress who plays Tia Dalma.

True, but that wasn't a complete redo.

There hasn't been a "complete re-do" as you are implying. Adding a few characters from the movies and changing the soundtrack hasn't resulted in a complete re-do of the attraction.

Because the original spirit is NOT Johnny Depp, NOT Orlando Bloom, NOT Billy Nighy, and certainly not the actress who plays Tia Dalma.

What IS the original spirit, as you see it?

Very funny
No it's not!!
Poor William,my William!lol!
I actually thought Will and Liz were going in,not Tia.

(I personally hated that they added Jack adoring audio.EVERY FIVE SECONDS THE ANIMATRONIC PIRATES GO ON ABOUT JACK AS IF THEY ARE THE FAN GIRLS!!!!!!!!I love the movies,but wished it would have remained the same.)

Yeah, I heard the Will & Lizzie rumor, too....As much as I love Will ( see my siggie) I dunno..Maybe they should just leave it as is now, no Tia, either..

ETA:I noticed in your siggie you are going to Pirate Adventure in May? Cool...Maybe we'll meet up!

pirate:

Very funny

What? Anybody can confuse

Will Turner...

KeiraKnightley_PiratesBlackPearl_ElizabethSwann.jpg

and

Tia...

harrispirates1.jpg

2 Things, I was with you for the most part and you know it, though I'm really luke warm to the changes overall. If they had just put Jack and barbossa in and not changed any Dialog, it would have been awesome. I mean, an addition here or there is good Plusing as it were, but the dialog changes and Davy Jones are offensivly bad. Which makes the whole thing even out. Also, I like the additional soundtrack in the wicked wench scene.

As for the music changing, When there isn't a band playing, the music at the French MArket is now Pirates soundtrack all the time. Way to ruin New Orleans Square Idiots.
AMEN!!!!

The WORST idea. Screw with the original, the classic for, what, a movie that will last maybe 10 years in our hearts? I'm sorry, but if Disney continues to do this, refurbish based on media and generations, instead of keeping to the original thoughts ideas of Sir Walt, they will lose a family.

but the new Jack Sparrow is great. I really enjoyed the updated POTC

Well, since we're going down this road again...

This is in reference to the MK version, as I haven't yet seen the DL version.

The quality of the individual elements is good, specifically the animatronics and the mist screen, with the possible exception of the last Jack... just doesn't sound right.

But taken as a whole, it has to leave you scratching your head as to what exactly is going on. The pirates are now apparently looking for some kind of treasure Jack has found/stolen. This makes no sense when you consider the movie storylines.

There's apparently still some sort of curse involved, but whatever it is/was, it's apparently been washed away by the end as Jack sits blissfully with the treasure, no worse for the wear.

The attraction has been changed from a mysterious and somewhat ghostly adventure to a simple game of hide and seek.

It's obvious the changes were driven by "synergistic opportunities", as opposed to any desire to really enhance or improve the story or attraction.

It's obvious the changes were driven by "synergistic opportunities", as opposed to any desire to really enhance or improve the story or attraction.

The changes were inspired by a movie, which will be forgotten five years from now. ("Lord of the Rings", anyone? The trilogy ended, long ago, and the popularity has since decreased...significantly. "Pirates" is most likely going to be the same fate. Media drives attention only so far. )

The original, or classic, as Walt would probably put it, deserves to stay. Like with "Journey Into Your Imagination", popularity of the ride will, most likely, decrease over time, and the Imagineers will see that, and see their fault. They did with "Journey", henceforth Figment being added back. You just don't have "Journey" without Figment.

The goal is to appeal to all ages. You can't appeal to the older generations without the classics, but you CAN appeal to the younger generations without adding new things. The classics are new enough to them.

Where were you last year? I totally agree with you. But when I was going off on last year's "enhancements", I got very little support. I think people are starting to become a little more skeptical where these changes are concerned.

This time last year, people were getting all excited about the YOAMD, saying it would be as great at the 50th celebration. They were wrong. Almost everyone was on the POTC enhancement bandwagon. Had Disney left it at just those enhancements, I think only us true purists would have the issues.

But if this latest addition is true, it means we will continue to see additions until the the entire attraction is changed, including the theme song. I hope that if this latest rumor proves to be true, more people will speak out against it.

I was here last year, exDS, but not posting. :lmao: Glad to see someone agree with me. Thanks.

but the new Jack Sparrow is great. I really enjoyed the updated POTC
But he's only part of a media sensation that will be temporary, if even for five to six years.

The changes were inspired by a movie, which will be forgotten five years from now. ("Lord of the Rings", anyone? The trilogy ended, long ago, and the popularity has since decreased...significantly. "Pirates" is most likely going to be the same fate. Media drives attention only so far. )

So applying this logic you would agree that Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight and Snow White's Adventure shouldn't have been built and oddly enough, stood the test of time, because of a movie tie-in?

So applying this logic you would agree that Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight and Snow White's Adventure shouldn't have been built and oddly enough, stood the test of time, because of a movie tie-in?

They are a re-telling of the movie or a scene from the movie in 3D form. The stories are solid to begin with.

You want to do that with Pirates, ok, take a shot at it either with the current attraction or with a new one. Obviously the movie has a story that appeals to people.

But that's not what they did. They just plunked in a few animatronics, even well done animatronics, and didn't try to really tell any kind of compelling story. They didn't add anything in that regard to the original, they didn't pull a section or moment from the movie and tell it in a 3d form, and they didn't bother to come up with any kind of new, compelling story.

They simply put Johnny Depp's likeness in so they could have Johnny Depp's likeness in. Same with the Davy Jones mist screen.

They are a re-telling of the movie or a scene from the movie in 3D form. The stories are solid to begin with.

You want to do that with Pirates, ok, take a shot at it either with the current attraction or with a new one. Obviously the movie has a story that appeals to people.

But that's not what they did. They just plunked in a few animatronics, even well done animatronics, and didn't try to really tell any kind of compelling story. They didn't add anything in that regard to the original, they didn't pull a section or moment from the movie and tell it in a 3d form, and they didn't bother to come up with any kind of new, compelling story.

They simply put Johnny Depp's likeness in so they could have Johnny Depp's likeness in. Same with the Davy Jones mist screen.

You are correct. I wasn't addressing the quality of the changes to the attraction. Some parts I think are pretty cool, others not so much. If you look closely at the post I was responding to I was dealing more with the hypocrisy of slamming the changes based upon a "movie tie-in" wherein many "old Walt" attractions exist solely because of movie tie-ins. Synergy can be a good thing.

You are correct. I wasn't addressing the quality of the changes to the attraction. Some parts I think are pretty cool, others not so much. If you look closely at the post I was responding to I was dealing more with the hypocrisy of slamming the changes based upon a "movie tie-in" wherein many "old Walt" attractions exist solely because of movie tie-ins. Synergy can be a good thing.

I caught what you were specifically addressing, but still wanted to make the point about the intent and execution of the changes. I think that if they did a better job, you'd have less people complaining about messing up the "classics".

But on synergy, it can be a good thing if it doesn't drive the creative process. Its a fine line at times, and you have to consider intent, which is always difficult. But Walt saw attractions as another way to tell his stories, and also tell others. Today's Disney often lets synergy drive what they do, and it shows in the quality, or lack thereof.

As I think I mentioned before, Davy Jones aside (that's just incredibly fricking stupid on all levels)
I have no problems with the animatronics changes. The treasure room at the end is kinda dumb, because of the implied curse in the storyline, but I'll live with that.

The dialog however is just completely retarded. If they had left all the dialog the same and just put Jack and Barbossa in, it would have been much cooler.

As I think I mentioned before, Davy Jones aside (that's just incredibly fricking stupid on all levels)
I have no problems with the animatronics changes. The treasure room at the end is kinda dumb, because of the implied curse in the storyline, but I'll live with that.

The dialog however is just completely retarded. If they had left all the dialog the same and just put Jack and Barbossa in, it would have been much cooler.
Every five seconds in the dialoge ,Jack Sparrow is mentioned.For blind and not deaf guests,I'm sure it's welcomed.For everyone else......IT'S ANNOYING AS HECK!!!!!I bet the Imagineers were dared to see how many times they could get his name in the ride!
"Oh,where's Jack Sparrow?!" *In the friggin barrel you idiot,right over there!*
"Jack Sparrow will be looking to get his hands on the treasure for sure!" *No way!Pirates hate treasure,don't they?He wants to steal those bolts of cloth and get to looking spiffy!*:rotfl:
It drove me crazy and I thought many more of those things above the first time I rode the new version.Many were worse....lol!
I wish they could have left the audio the same,not an annoying mess!Let the guest see the touches of Jack Sparrow,not shout his existance from every rooftop of burning homes!Part of the magic of Disney is discovering things like this for yourself.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter