• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

potato salad help....

MrsPiglet

<marquee><font color=darkorchid>Wow, this makes me
Urgent....10 pounds of potatoes into potato salad and put a jar of sweet relish instead of dill relish. I now have a bunch of sweet potato salad....Help how do i get the sweet out of it?

Add boiled eggs, mustard, mayo and pimentos. Top with fried crumbled bacon. I use sweet pickles in my potato salad btw.;)

Add boiled eggs, mustard, mayo and pimentos. Top with fried crumbled bacon. I use sweet pickles in my potato salad btw.;)

So do I. Don't panic...it's probably delicious. Besides adding the ingredients HoneyDiane mentioned, bell pepper is also good in potato salad. If you just can't get it to taste "right" to you after adding these things, you could always boil and add a few more potatoes to "dilute" the taste and re-add mayo, mustard and spices as needed. Hope you don't have to resort to that.

Add chopped dill pickles, afew more then you would ususally add. Make a dressing with mayo and mustard. The color of the drssing should be very light yellow. season with salt and pepper. Add 2-3 tablespoons of liquid from dill pickle jar or 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Chop a sweet onion and add some finely chopped boiled eggs. This should distract from the sweet pickles.

Happy eatting

I use the juice from the dill pickles too. That's my "secret" to my potato salad. It should tone down the sweetness some.

Couple of secrets to my potato salad: I always put in crumbled bacon, chopped boiled eggs, chopped celery, dill pickles, and 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Don't know why I put in the vinegar except that is what my Mom always does. (I never put in mustard, just mayo.)

Now I'm craving potato salad!

Couple of secrets to my potato salad: I always put in crumbled bacon, chopped boiled eggs, chopped celery, dill pickles, and 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Don't know why I put in the vinegar except that is what my Mom always does. (I never put in mustard, just mayo.)

Now I'm craving potato salad!

Me too! :rotfl: I hope the OP comes back 'n tells us how it turned out.

Sorry I am no help, but know where you are coming from....
I learned a long time ago that it's gotta be dill!!! ;)

I have also taken to making a lighter, fresher, version of potato salad without the eggs and so much heavy mayo... I finely dice up some red-pepper, etc..

Potato salad with the ham was always a staple for us at Christmas, as you can make up a huge batch ahead of time and feed a huge bunch of people with no additional cooking!

I always use sweet relish in mine too. Hard boiled eggs, mustard, mayo, choppen onion, chopped bell pepper, and then my family likes chopped tomato also. Happy eating!

Since it was late last night and I was panicking. I had to produce potato salad for our christmas Party at work today. I did not have any more potatoes, nor had any dill pickles. I added more egg and mustard... it did not do the trick.. I added a bell pepper and a few spices. But it seemed like it just got nastier... eww it was nasty. So I decided I was going to take a bowl of it to work and watch everyones reaction (i am the potato salad maker for the office). I didnt have the heart to take it this morning to work... So I called WalMart and ordered 5 pounds of potato wedges.
Turned out we had so much other food that it really didnt matter that my salad was not there.

Thanks for the help.... I learned Dill pickles in my potato salad

Since it was late last night and I was panicking. I had to produce potato salad for our christmas Party at work today. I did not have any more potatoes, nor had any dill pickles. I added more egg and mustard... it did not do the trick.. I added a bell pepper and a few spices. But it seemed like it just got nastier... eww it was nasty. So I decided I was going to take a bowl of it to work and watch everyones reaction (i am the potato salad maker for the office). I didnt have the heart to take it this morning to work... So I called WalMart and ordered 5 pounds of potato wedges.
Turned out we had so much other food that it really didnt matter that my salad was not there.

Thanks for the help.... I learned Dill pickles in my potato salad

Well, thank goodness it's over. ;)

hmm....dill pickles? I always use sweet. Now I'll have to try dill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter