posting pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'll just jump on the bandwagon too :rotfl:

I don't have a preference, but will make an observation.

I abandoned my TR in 2012 because I felt it was a heck of a lot of work for the 3 people who were reading it. I never pay attention to view counts as people who don't comment or ask questions aren't really present IMO.

When I did a TR in 2010 there was lots of interaction; the TR forum was busy. I feel it either needs more traffic by moving the popular, but appropriate posts over there, or it needs to be merged with this one. Just my 2c

Just a thought, but you could always post a poll to see what the DISer's feel.

Well I'll just jump on the bandwagon too :rotfl: I don't have a preference, but will make an observation. I abandoned my TR in 2012 because I felt it was a heck of a lot of work for the 3 people who were reading it. I never pay attention to view counts as people who don't comment or ask questions aren't really present IMO. When I did a TR in 2010 there was lots of interaction; the TR forum was busy. I feel it either needs more traffic by moving the popular, but appropriate posts over there, or it needs to be merged with this one. Just my 2c Just a thought, but you could always post a poll to see what the DISer's feel.
I agree. I think they get missed on the TR board. Its a shame as people take time to do live updates and then get hardly any followers. People comment a lot more when they are posted on this board.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Well I never go on the trip report forum ad I always forget it even exists!!
I do not think that putting all live reports over there would remind me to look on that forum,

So IMO I much prefer them here, plus like I said they normally start off with the..... We're off heading which grabs my attention to wish them a safe flight and if they pop updates as their going along then all the better :)

Well wherever they go I think they should all be in one place. I do see the merit in a separate forum for them because otherwise the general threads get mixed up with trippies. If the live TRs were with the others then more people would read the pre trip reports and post trip reports

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I can see the benefit of them being here when live.

But maybe when the trip is over they should be moved so then past TRs are easier to find?

But maybe when the trip is over they should be moved so then past TRs are easier to find?

I think one reason I'd keep them here no matter how old is the search. I bet most people only search this forum, I know I do and there is so much valuable information in a trip report.

If I'm allowed to throw another opinion in! I've never understood having the separate forum. I'd rather see them all in here. Plus one thread per report not one thread per day. I only have time for one forum and it's this one but I do like reading about people's holidays, preferably as they happen as I think they feel more honest.

I guess it came from when the boards were busier or they just took on the same format as the US side which couldn't cope all in one but I would be of the same opinion, UK side isn't busy enough for it separate, could easily be all in one and then the TR's would get more views. especially if as you suggest one thread per report.

Wherever they are I can't cope with multiple threads per report. It just makes reading it too hard. I like trip reports too.

Well I'll just jump on the bandwagon too :rotfl:

I don't have a preference, but will make an observation.

I abandoned my TR in 2012 because I felt it was a heck of a lot of work for the 3 people who were reading it. I never pay attention to view counts as people who don't comment or ask questions aren't really present IMO.

When I did a TR in 2010 there was lots of interaction; the TR forum was busy. I feel it either needs more traffic by moving the popular, but appropriate posts over there, or it needs to be merged with this one. Just my 2c

Just a thought, but you could always post a poll to see what the DISer's feel.

I agree. I think they get missed on the TR board. Its a shame as people take time to do live updates and then get hardly any followers. People comment a lot more when they are posted on this board.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Well I never go on the trip report forum ad I always forget it even exists!!
I do not think that putting all live reports over there would remind me to look on that forum,

So IMO I much prefer them here, plus like I said they normally start off with the..... We're off heading which grabs my attention to wish them a safe flight and if they pop updates as their going along then all the better :)

I think one reason I'd keep them here no matter how old is the search. I bet most people only search this forum, I know I do and there is so much valuable information in a trip report.

I am not going to reply individually as I don't necessarily want to focus too much on individual comments/observations but I will say that the TR board does have an index page so whether a TR is done as one thread or several, they should be easy to find. Granted, I am not always on the ball with creating an index but there is nothing to stop the TR poster creating their own index, which I can link to the index thread. I am one who prefers the TRs in separate posts as I find it very hard to follow all the comments on a single thread and I will continue to post my TRs that way, and I know others who prefer to do it that way too.

Which brings me neatly to the next point - if you were to merge the boards (which, by the way, I think is a really BAD idea), it only takes 2 or 3 people to be posting separate threads for their TR updates and planning questions will quickly slip down the page. One thing I'm incredibly proud of on our UK forums is that it is very rare for a post to go unread/unresponded to, meaning people don't feel unwelcome or unloved.

I personally think it is quite unfair that some people have commented that they never bother to go to the TR board and yet, I suspect that those people would be the first to complain if nobody was reading or commenting on their 'live' TR. If anybody has ever written a full-blown trippy,t ehy will know just how much work it can be. Personally, I do it as much for my own posterity (to have something to look back on to remind me) as much as to assist other people with their planning so I don't actually mind too much if people aren't reading/commenting but it is a lot of work and for people to put all that effort in and have people not responding, it can be quite demoralising.

Which brings me finally to my last point....how many 'live' TRs are started but then abandoned because people realise they don't actually want to give up their holiday time to write every day. Or not actually finished until long after those people return home. I am not trying to say that those TRs aren't helpful to others but they are still TRs whether live or not and are of no more use posted here than they are on the TR forum, other than they get more 'views'.

As far as I'm concerned, we have a Trip Reports board and that is where TRs should be posted, whether they are live or not. The rest of the boards run that way - when something is not right for the forum it is posted on, it gets moved. Wayne has already said that we, as Moderators of the UK boards, don't necessarily agree which is why we tend to leave them where they are posted instead of doing what we should do and moving them. The only possible compromise that I can think of would be to have the TRs forum as a sub-forum to this one, however we would have to get agreement from the DIS admin for that and I'm not sure that they would agree.

Sorry if it sounds like I am being difficult but, as you have already seen from the few comments on this thread, opinions differ greatly and I don't honestly think we will find a solution to please everybody.

I'm not in favor of a merge. I probably shouldn't have suggested it, but I would prefer to see all the TRs, live or not, together.

I started off without having a particular preference, but having read the posts on here and the reasons and explanations for each person's point of view, I am leaning quite heavily towards using the dedicated board for all trip reports. People are creatures of habit and it won't take long to get used to clicking through there to read. As per my previous post, I do believe that the TR forum does not get the traffic flow it deserves and if live reports are so popular, this may be the key to getting people used to looking on there.

From an outsider's point of view, I can tell you that before I signed up, it never occurred to me to look on the UKTP side for reports because I spotted the TR one in the index. Someone not familiar with navigating the boards would normally assume that they would find all trippies in a forum called "Trip Reports"

I think the sub-forum approach might be the best of both worlds, makes the forum much more visible, will make search work across both areas and might encourage people to start live trip threads there.

On UK trip planning we have always allowed freedom to post on just about any subject with very little moderation, this very thread should have been in Tech support but if we can help why not let it stand? if I post about a Disney cruise or Universal then there are forums for those subjects but I post in UK trip planning because that's the only forum I use, I wouldn't ask anything in those other forums, same as I wouldn't post in the TR.
In my opinion more moderation creates a less welcoming atmosphere, do we stick to the one TR forum for all TR's and risk losing the most popular threads we get or leave it as is with the freedom to post as we do now?

Joh, I really don't think you are being difficult, you have your strong opinion in one direction and I have it in another. I don't disagree with most of what you say I just feel the boards are quiet enough without changing things and losing our most popular threads.
I considered closing this thread early when we went off topic and taking the subject to a closed discussion amongst the Moderators but as it affects everyone I thought we should be open about it all.

One part solution is allow the Live TR's while live (Holiday dates to be posted in 1st post) then on the final day of the holiday we transfer the thread to TR's either finished or unfinished.

One part solution is allow the Live TR's while live (Holiday dates to be posted in 1st post) then on the final day of the holiday we transfer the thread to TR's either finished or unfinished.

Wayne, I actually think that is a very good compromise. That way, those people who have already commented would continue to be able to do so regardless of where the thread is (through their subscribed threads) and everything would eventually end up in its rightful place ;)

And, for my part, I will endeavour to keep on top of the index to try and make it easier for people to find trip reports.

I think this is a great solution.

When I'm simply nipping on the Disboards I only go on the planning forum and I love a live trip report, however when I have more time i.e. drink and biscuit in hand I love nothing more than catching up on everyone's past trip reports.

I hold my hands up to not leaving comments on the trip reports as I'm guilty of being more of a lurker! After reading some comments on this thread though I will start to leave comments as I really do appreciate the time taken to do a report and I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading them all.

I think this could be a great compromise :thumbsup2

Personally, I have no strong feelings but tend to be here most of the time but I do look at the other boards.

I think it would be a great compromise, it's not that I don't "bother" it's that I don't remember it's even there!

I am not going to reply individually as I don't necessarily want to focus too much on individual comments/observations but I will say that the TR board does have an index page so whether a TR is done as one thread or several, they should be easy to find. Granted, I am not always on the ball with creating an index but there is nothing to stop the TR poster creating their own index, which I can link to the index thread. I am one who prefers the TRs in separate posts as I find it very hard to follow all the comments on a single thread and I will continue to post my TRs that way, and I know others who prefer to do it that way too. Which brings me neatly to the next point - if you were to merge the boards (which, by the way, I think is a really BAD idea), it only takes 2 or 3 people to be posting separate threads for their TR updates and planning questions will quickly slip down the page. One thing I'm incredibly proud of on our UK forums is that it is very rare for a post to go unread/unresponded to, meaning people don't feel unwelcome or unloved. I personally think it is quite unfair that some people have commented that they never bother to go to the TR board and yet, I suspect that those people would be the first to complain if nobody was reading or commenting on their 'live' TR. If anybody has ever written a full-blown trippy,t ehy will know just how much work it can be. Personally, I do it as much for my own posterity (to have something to look back on to remind me) as much as to assist other people with their planning so I don't actually mind too much if people aren't reading/commenting but it is a lot of work and for people to put all that effort in and have people not responding, it can be quite demoralising. Which brings me finally to my last point....how many 'live' TRs are started but then abandoned because people realise they don't actually want to give up their holiday time to write every day. Or not actually finished until long after those people return home. I am not trying to say that those TRs aren't helpful to others but they are still TRs whether live or not and are of no more use posted here than they are on the TR forum, other than they get more 'views'. As far as I'm concerned, we have a Trip Reports board and that is where TRs should be posted, whether they are live or not. The rest of the boards run that way - when something is not right for the forum it is posted on, it gets moved. Wayne has already said that we, as Moderators of the UK boards, don't necessarily agree which is why we tend to leave them where they are posted instead of doing what we should do and moving them. The only possible compromise that I can think of would be to have the TRs forum as a sub-forum to this one, however we would have to get agreement from the DIS admin for that and I'm not sure that they would agree. Sorry if it sounds like I am being difficult but, as you have already seen from the few comments on this thread, opinions differ greatly and I don't honestly think we will find a solution to please everybody.

Couldn't have said better Jo.

If it were any other forum they would be moved. I frequent other disney forums and even their highs and lows get posted to the trip report forum.

I personally don't like live TRS there isn't enough detail in them and I find them a bit rushed and I'm just not interested.
In most o

Couldn't have said better Jo.

If it were any other forum they would be moved. I frequent other disney forums and even their highs and lows get posted to the trip report forum.

I personally don't like live TRS there isn't enough detail in them and I find them a bit rushed and I'm just not interested.
In most o

Whilst other forums may work in a particular way, I think UKTP should pride itself on being so accepting and free. This is the main section for UK travellers to chat, and it should be up to the forum moderators to decide what is best for their section. For example, I used to frequent the DCL forum a few years ago, only to find one particular moderator issued an infraction because of my oversized signature. I've now stopped using that board because it was a generally hostile environment at the time.

Live trip reports, by their very nature, contain the most up-to-date information and photographs that will be of use to prospective travellers. They attract the most attention, and the board can't afford to lose that. Moving them to the TR section after the trip has ended does make sense, and I think that's a good compromise.

I tend to stick to the main boards to be honest. The news there is a lot more up to date then any live TR. I personally think TRs are more informative on who travelled not when. I prefer to read about families with younger children but before I had my daughter I wouldn't ever read a family TR.

The UK community side is now a ghost town because of things like Facebook. The UK TR side will soon be the same when every one posts live TRs and anything useful or any questions won't be seen because so many people will be posting their live updates.

"Went to MK was hot, had a thunderstorm, back for a rest, going back out later, sorry no photos wifi isn't good enough to upload them, Epcot tomorrow YAY"

I personally don't like live TRS there isn't enough detail in them and I find them a bit rushed and I'm just not interested. In most o

Well everyone rushes a post and doesn't quite finish it every now and again.......

If the issue arises out of moderator disagreement there's a easy solution really. For you to agree! It's up to the rest if us to follow the rules then :)

I think it's fair to say we have reached a decision. Live TRs will be permitted on Trip Planning, however the first post must contain the trip dates and the thread will be moved, whether complete or not, once the trip is over.

Since we have now agreed a way forward I am going to close this thread as I think it has pretty much all been said.

Thank you for your contribution everybody :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter