Posterior Tibial Tendonitis

Dsnygrl1205

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here ever dealt with this injury and how long did it take you to recover from it? I am beyond frustrated right now. :mad:

I have not had injury to that tendon but understand that it can be a slow heal. I assume that you have been to a doctor and he did not give you the option of a cortisone injection to help with inflammation. (if you have not i would get to one). I would definitely be on NSAIDs to work on the inflammation. And would not run at all until the race.

After the marathon, you may want to consider going back to the doc and get into a boot to help immobilize the joint as much as possible. Because of the tendons purpose, it gets little rest even in just normal walking.

Luckily the half I'm running isn't until April but since I'm in the military and have a school to go to I have to take a PT test in 3 weeks. I don't know how familiar you are with Army physical training but the test consists of push ups sit ups and a timed 2 mile run. I can most definitely push through the pain but I really am worried about causing more serious damage. The Doc here didn't offer up a cortisone shot but gave me some exercises to do and has me taking 2 Aleve every 12 hours and icing it also. He's not a runner so he's doesn't understand why I'm itching to get back out there. Low impact and strength training is all I can do for now. I'm going to try a run in 2 weeks and see how it feels.

Since your run is 3 weeks out, it may be worth shopping a sports doc to get the injection. The trade for the injection is no running for 7-10 days but that kind of fits the schedule.

Regardless, sounds like you have the data ... Rest and ice

I just recently had this same injury!

Everyone heals differently and does not injury the same way but this is what I did.

I stopped running/walking for 1 week. During that time I did a lot of stretching and riding the bike. I also did some physical therapy. I work at a clinic so it was easy for me to get in. They did this wonderful treatment on me called ASTYM (check out the website astym.org to see if anyone around you does it) There are these tools that they use to rub along your muscles/tendons to help break up scar tissue and promote the healing phase.

I did that about 3-4 weeks ago and am feeling pretty good to do the 1/2 marathon next week!

Let me know if you have any questions. I wish you a speedy recovery!

I'm in Kuwait so getting to an Ortho doc is out of the question. I just keep hoping to fine a runner who's been through a similar injury and has a magical fast cure for me!:rotfl: Wishful thinking I guess. Sounds like it's ice and the elliptical for me! Thanks for the replies folks!

I got the same injury in late oct and still I am not 100%. Not what you want to hear, me neither. I was going to run the Princess but now going to pull out. My doc would not give cortisone injection either I asked. But I did find a good website for some advice. Some good advice to heal

http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/

I got the same injury in late oct and still I am not 100%. Not what you want to hear, me neither. I was going to run the Princess but now going to pull out. My doc would not give cortisone injection either I asked. But I did find a good website for some advice. Some good advice to heal

http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/

How long did you keep running on it after it started to hurt? My injury felt like it came out of nowhere! One day I was fine and the next, bam! It hurts to run. I gave it a rest for a few days and then tried again but it still hurt so I stopped and went to the talk to the Doc here and got the bad news. Are you still doing any kind of training?

I see a lot of PTT patients in my clinic (I'm a PT - NOT a doctor, FYI). I would verify with the doc, but first off, increase your IB/Aleve intake. 2 every 12 hours is a "normal" dose, and if you get a "prescription" for IB from your doctor (which will happen stateside) it will be for 500-1000mg. A standard dose of Aleve/IB, per the package, is around 200-250. Again, check with your MD first.

Stretch, stretch, stretch!! Here's a website with a few basic ones : http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/ankle/tibpost/stretching.php
The only modification is that the standing one, for the front of the shin - I have people do that one sitting, with the leg crossed ankle to knee, and use your hands to "pull" the foot into that position.

The other question I have is what kind of shoes are you running in? PTT usually crops up because of some type of imbalance in the foot when you are running - either structural or mechanical. Understandably, you are in Kuwait, so going out and getting a new pair is probably not an option - but make sure that they're not too broken down.

HTH...and good luck with your PT test!

I also did self massage of the sore area. I would give myself a good 15-20 minute massage over the tender area starting with light pressure and gradually working up to a deeper pressure. I would then do an ice massage of the same area.

Maybe that will help you too.

increase your IB/Aleve intake. 2 every 12 hours is a "normal" dose, and if you get a "prescription" for IB from your doctor (which will happen stateside) it will be for 500-1000mg. A standard dose of Aleve/IB, per the package, is around 200-250. Again, check with your MD first.

The other question I have is what kind of shoes are you running in? PTT usually crops up because of some type of imbalance in the foot when you are running - either structural or mechanical. Understandably, you are in Kuwait, so going out and getting a new pair is probably not an option - but make sure that they're not too broken down.

HTH...and good luck with your PT test!

I'll talk to the doc tomorrow about the meds, I'm sure they have plenty of 800 mg Motrin to hand out.
The shoes I'm running now are Saucony Pro Grid Omni 9 which are a stability shoe. I got them because I overpronate a bit. I bought them in Sept and was putting about 20-25 miles a week on them outside. When I got here in Nov. I started doing only treadmill training and upped my mileage to 35 miles a week. They still feel like they're in good shape but I could order a new pair and have them shipped if I needed to.
Thanks for the Info. I'm feeling pretty down about all of this today.

I also did self massage of the sore area. I would give myself a good 15-20 minute massage over the tender area starting with light pressure and gradually working up to a deeper pressure. I would then do an ice massage of the same area.

Maybe that will help you too.

I have read that massaging the area will get the blood flowing to the tendons and help with healing. I'm going to start waking up 10 or 15 minutes earlier to do it before I even walk on it. Another thing I think may be irritating it is that there is gravel here everywhere so the majority of the time I spend walking is on an unstable surface. :confused3

I think this is what my friend Emily got when she went into a dance-heavy show in Chicago. She had to have PT for like an hour after every show while it was healing and thankfully wraps and the like could be hidden with leg warmers. I saw her a couple of weeks ago and we got to talk for a long time - she was very interested in my running. When I mentioned my IT band flares, she said that the PT had recommended The Stick for her and how much it helped. (I'd already been using it, and I agree.)

I'd recommend getting one of those if possible. One of my running club teammates uses a regular rolling pin - it was cheaper as he already had it) on his muscles and it seems to work well too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter