**Postcards needed for Special Education classroom project! Only 14 more states!**

Lovin' Disney

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! My husband teaches elementary special education here in Michigan. As part of the school's morning reading block, he spends about 15 minutes per day reading to the children (they range in age from grades 1-6).

His final book of the year that he's reading has do with a boy, Hank Zipzer, who has learning disabilites, and goes on a road trip with his family over a school vacation. His father is competing in a crossword puzzle competition and lets the other family members choose one special place they would also like to visit on the way. Hank chooses an amusement park. Hank's teacher gives him a packet of extra work to do over the vacation and he ends up losing the packet early in the trip, but doesn't tell his family until right before they are due to go to the amusement park. Then Hank must face the consequences of his actions.

Their class would love to receive a postcard from every state in the USA. A map of the United States has been hung up in the classroom, and the postcards will be displayed around the map. The class will be making a drawing of Hank inside a car and they will move it to the state where they have received a postcard from that day.

A project like this has never been done in our school. We live in a rural area and most of these kids haven't been outside of Michigan, so this is a great way to introduce the rest of the United States to them.

Here is the address to send postcards to:

Mr. Gustafson's Class
Wakefield-Marenisco School
715 Putnam Street
Wakefield, MI 49968

Any interesting information you can include in your message would be awesome, from weather, to local landmarks, to state facts, to whatever you think these elementary children would find exciting and get them interested in visiting your state. The deadline will be the last day of school, which is June 10th. I will definitely post updates on here when postcards are received. If the class gets all 50 states, he has promised them a pizza party!

Thank you very much for your help! I know that I can count on my Disboard friends! :thumbsup2

UPDATE: Postcards have been received by the following states. Thank you so much!
Alaska
Arizona
California
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming
... and Washington D.C.!
....and Canada!
....and Europe!

Postcards are still needed from these states:
Alabama
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
Louisiana
Maine
Montana
New Jersey
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Dakota
West Virginia
Wisconsin

you may want to UPDATE your thread to show what he gets...or else you will likely get MANY from one state and completely miss another :confused3
Awesome project, looking around for a postcard from here..I think I may have sent them all out already, lol!

You can count on one from Texas!

What is the latest date they can be sent, just for everyone's reference?

Count on one from Connecticut, It is in the mail. Hope you recieve from all 50 states.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. I added it into the opening message--the deadline to receive postcards is the 2nd week of June, which is when school ends. If they can get all 50 states, he has promised the class a pizza party!

I will also update on here when postcards have been received. THANKS!

Cute idea! I'll send one from Kansas City, MO :goodvibes

We're going to Mother's Day brunch at our Union Station...they'll have a great selection for me to pick from! I'll send it next week!

Since someone from Ohio is already sending you one I will have my mom from Illinois send you one. She is a speacial needs teacher as well so maybe she can have her classroom write it from one classroom to another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter