Post your best organizational, space saving and trip making secrets here!!

I forgot to mention I LOVED the idea about taking a copy of the packing list on the trip for the "re-packing" - wish I'd had this time two weeks ago...forgot my hair dryer and video camera on a trip to the beach. :eek: Fortunately the rental home owner was super about it but having an organized reminder may have prevented some minor heart burn and panic on my end! :rotfl:

This isn't really an organizational tip, but...

Before we leave, I go to Bath and Body and pick one scent. I get the antibacterial hand soap, shower gel, body/hand lotion, antibacterial hand gel (like a scented purell) and bubble bath. I like the pump of hand soap for the hotel room and we like the shower gel (and I use the lotion). The bubble bath is for when I get home, since that scent will now remind me of our trip--- its a nice little pick me up until we go on our next trip. A few times a year they have a sale, so sometimes I get all the stuff then, and save it for our trip.

I also pick up a bottle of the foaming hand soap for the kids--they like that.

First Post!!! I did this on our honeymoon trip to Disney 11 years ago, and am still instantly transported to the Boardwalk when I smell that certain sent!!! I think I will start doing this on futrue trips!:cloud9:

oh yeah - went to London in 1998; and still remember that trip as I had only brought 'Sunflowers' scented items. Good idea for WDW, thanks!:woohoo:

Let me preempt this post by saying that we drive down to Disney, so Im able to pack an extra suitcase of 'extras' I may want.:cool2: I take a collapsable clothes rack that, when folded, fits in the the bottom of a suitcase. It is perfect for small items like bathing suits and kids clothes. Our clothes never dried out hanging on the line in the shower and we were always having to take them on and off to take showers. I usually took hangers with clips and hung clothes on the balcony chairs where things would dry faster, but we had clothes draped everywhere. My clothes rack, a collapsable laundry basket, and hanging shoe organizer are must haves that I take on any vacation.:thumbsup2

Several days worth of reading and seven pages in an MS Word doc. Thanks all!

A few ideas...

1. This travel charger organizer (there are others out there) is handy and keeps all your chargers in one zipped case and comes with a power strip - http://www.all4cellular.com/travel-cord-organizer-charging-case.html

2. Shipping things down has been mentioned (if you don't drive). I think this is great for things that are challenging now on airplanes - for example; spray sunscreen for the first day at the park. This is assuming your box is there and can be retrieved for you when you check in. www.ups.com has a shipping calculator to estimate costs.

3. Think I saw this somewhere else, but you can make your own lanyards for holding IDs, fast passes, receipts, etc. Micheal's, 5 Below, etc. have Disney ones (with clips at the ends) that can double as a pin holder since the lanyard is fabric. Staples and Office Depot/Max have ID holders/pouches with zippers in the back. The lanyard is $1 and the ID things are $4 - so for $5 it is a great deal.

One comment on the whole pre-treating the rooms with lysol...

I think people go a bit overboard with this... if your choice is a professionally cleaned room that one family has stayed in before you vs public areas (handrails, rides, etc.) all over the places that ten's of thousands of people have touched right before you... but that is just one DH's opinion....

We use our own beach towel as a blanket and seat cover for the road trip to FL.
we rent two vans to travel from TX to FL and we leave at 4 a.m. in order to reach FL early enough for a nice dinner and night rest. South TX is too hot to travel w/o air conditioning and not everyone agrees on what is the perfect temperature. We also don't worry about spills, etc.
I did this on a trip this past week. Great tip! DD always wants a blanket in the car and DS wants what DD has. No more blankets lurking in the back seat. They immediately get taken out and put into the pool bag.

i used to be a big fan of "rolling" everything into the suitcase. Did this for eons and thought that it was the best way.

however, i had to pack for a week business meeting with only a carry on and panicked.

then I found this - http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&

simply amazing! now i don't pack any other way and we take 1/2 the number of suitcases that we usually did.

try it - you'll like it. :thumbsup2
Did this also with DDs clothes. A bit trickier since the video shows adult clothes. I was able to condense DDs clothes from her small suitcase and duffle bag into just the suitcase, and still add more clothes. Great tip!

Staples and Office Depot/Max have ID holders/pouches with zippers in the back. The lanyard is $1 and the ID things are $4 - so for $5 it is a great deal.

Do you have a link for these?
Because I have been to all 3 locally & not found them.
I got one at a sales pitch & use it as my "wallet" but it's starting to tear.

Now if I can figure out how to carry the reading glasses on there too, I'll be set.

Do you have a link for these?
Because I have been to all 3 locally & not found them.
I got one at a sales pitch & use it as my "wallet" but it's starting to tear.

Now if I can figure out how to carry the reading glasses on there too, I'll be set.

Can't find it at the Staples site... but I got it at the one in Ramsey, NJ if that helps....

Here are some options:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/834576/IDPassport-Badge-Holder/

http://www.securityimaging.com/Premium-Credential,1480,6220.html

http://www.securityimaging.com/5-Pocket,1480,5434.html

One comment on the whole pre-treating the rooms with lysol...

I think people go a bit overboard with this... if your choice is a professionally cleaned room that one family has stayed in before you vs public areas (handrails, rides, etc.) all over the places that ten's of thousands of people have touched right before you... but that is just one DH's opinion....

But when you are out and about, you KNOW you're touching "public germs" and not to touch your eyes/face and to wash hands and/or purell before eating. (my kids are taught this from an early age and are VERY good about it) ... but when you're back in the room it's nice to have it feel like "home" and not have to worry about what kind of germs are on the table top or bedside table. ;)

1. This travel charger organizer (there are others out there) is handy and keeps all your chargers in one zipped case and comes with a power strip - http://www.all4cellular.com/travel-cord-organizer-charging-case.html

(couldn't edit my other post :confused3)

Just wanted to point out that this charger organizer "accomodates" a power strip, it does NOT come with it ;) I was going to order it because it seemed like a really good deal... I'm glad I re-read the description a few times before ordering!

PS - love your screen name :goodvibes

(couldn't edit my other post :confused3)

Just wanted to point out that this charger organizer "accomodates" a power strip, it does NOT come with it ;) I was going to order it because it seemed like a really good deal... I'm glad I re-read the description a few times before ordering!

PS - love your screen name :goodvibes

I tried to find the one I had (that came with a strip) and I couldn't find it online... even if you have to supply your own, it is a handy thing to own.

We just came back from WDW today and new for this trip was the "one ziploc bag per 1/2 day". Yep, I put my daughter's whole outfit, my top and undies and my DH's top in one 2-gallon bag and put a date and AM or PM on the bag.

Then on that day, I just pulled out the bag and we got dressed (+ shorts). As I washed clothes, I added it back into the bag for the next time to wear.

This worked EXTREMELY well for us. In the past I organized clothes and used ziplocs, but never one for each part of the day. We will definitely do this again. Even my DH could follow and help get the girls dressed while I showered.:thumbsup2 (no excuses now!):rotfl2:

any idea where I can find one online? or what section to look in at walmart? I have been desperately trying to find one of these.

I actually used this idea when we went on a 7 day cruise. The bathrooms are small and do not have enough space for everyhing, so I used the over the door shoe organizer to hold shampoo, conditioner, powder, deodorant, first aid stuff. I have been using it at all the resorts now and I actually leave it in my owners locker, so it is always in Orlando when we need it. :banana:

Fantastic thread. I started last night and finished today.

3 more sleeps and we are headed out. I am off to the store now to pick up some last minute ideas from this thread. Thanks everyone.

PP

I printed off business card sized itineraries for all of the adults for each day. They had the park hours, special things to look for and our ADR confirmation numbers and times. I laminated them all with the business card lamination from the dollar store and hung them on a binder ring. They were really handy since they clipped to my shoulder bag.

I did this as well on our Disney trip.

We are just back too. I read lots of posts before we went. I would say definitely take or by a mister fan (we gave ours away before we left as a RAK to a family with a little one and she wouldn't let it go). Also comfy shoes and two pairs. It does rain EVERYDAY in the afternoon, one day I was soaked from a ride and just got dry and it poured and we had reservations so I got soaked again. Take copies of your itineraries and information and maybe even two sets leave one in room in suitcase in case you misplace. Stop and breathe once in a while, when we go back I will have a day between parks to rest and process. Talk to people about your day and what they did. I actually used my high school language to talk to a little French girl with no English, it was sweet, she lit up like a Christmas tree that I would try, dad was beaming too. We bought a new family a meal before we flew out with out remaining meal passes as a RAK. What a feeling to do something for someone randomly. We also gave our left over unopened drinks and chips to a family at the airport.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the big ziplock bags (2 gal and larger) are on sale at drugstore.com code "bfjuly" also gets you $5 off $25 and there is free shipping...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter