Post Wilma Cozumel Update

vpalmer said:
Well Said! :thumbsup2

?? If dolphin swims are the prime vacation objective, DCL cruises to other undamaged ports that offer this type of excursion, and anyone paying attention to Caribbean and hurricane news would (perhaps should) have had second thoughts about booking Cozumel as a destination after last November.

Hence, what I sense here is the understandable "make lemonade out of lemons" reaction among those who booked this itineray far in advance, subsequently discovering that parts of it had been "downgraded." I can't blame them for that....as long as we don't see complaints afterwards (those kinds of posts are unfortunately already showing up on other cruise boards!)

As for me, my other intention of returning to the park is not just for pure enjoyment.. is also doing my part to contribute to the park's rebuilding. If everyone were to stay away, where will they get their fund? I do plan to return to Disney cruise every year and would love Cozumel to be back to how it was originally. I'm fully prepared mentally to see something completely different from two years ago, and is also a great way to educate my kids on what mother nature could do to earth.

beachblanket said:
?? If dolphin swims are the prime vacation objective, DCL cruises to other undamaged ports that offer this type of excursion, and anyone paying attention to Caribbean and hurricane news would (perhaps should) have had second thoughts about booking Cozumel as a destination after last November.

Hence, what I sense here is the understandable "make lemonade out of lemons" reaction among those who booked this itineray far in advance, subsequently discovering that parts of it had been "downgraded." I can't blame them for that....as long as we don't see complaints afterwards (those kinds of posts are unfortunately already showing up on other cruise boards!)
For the record, I did not book my cruise until December 29, 2005, after Wilma hit. I was and am fully aware of the situation. I have yet to see the attitude you have described on this board and I think that speaks very highly of our fellow informed posters.

I booked our excursion last week directly through Dolphin Discovery on Cozumel after it became an excursion again offered by DCL. Unless DCL is offering a dolphin discovery on Castaway Cay or Costa Maya, guess what, there aren't other venues for me...Cozumel's it. I'm thinking that pretty much alleviates the concern that we "didn't know" Cozumel's not like it was before. It seems kinda' funny beachblanket would be concerned about subsequent negative posts...I took almost all the posts on this thread from him/her to be negative. :confused3

This thread started because some crusiers asked the straightforward question of what is and isn't open in Cozumel and what the conditions are. Or put another way, people were simply looking for facts.

They were provided, relative to what's open and how things are operating - both good and bad.

Unfortunately, now that the facts are out, things have turned in an understandable "please don't rain on my parade" nature (ergo, the "I booked knowing what I'm getting into/the dolphins are all that matter/I'm engaging in philanthropic tourism" trains of thought). That was almost inevitable, again, per the earlier point that people who invest significant money and energy into a vacation want to justify their decision and feel it's going to turn out to be everything hoped for. Trust me, I've been there (boy do I remember wanting to justify an expensive millennium turnover cruise on bulletin boards during late 1999!)

Whatever, this thread which was not set up only for those rose colored glasses; some people want to know about warts that may appear on their cruise, and these forums offer the opportunity to be advised of them. So annoyance at the fact others dare to point out any possible negatives is somewhat surprising. If people only want positive news, a thread asking for updates on a hurricane damaged island is not exactly the best place to start! :rolleyes2

beachblanket said:
...Whatever, this thread which was not set up only for those rose colored glasses; some people want to know about warts that may appear on their cruise...

Thanks for sharing your warts. :rolleyes1

Looks like the OP asked recent cruisers about Cozumel...you had inaccurate information with negative connotations...some of us choose to be positive. You're a "glass is half empty" kinda' person, huh?

beachblanket said:
...(ergo, the "I booked knowing what I'm getting into/the dolphins are all that matter/I'm engaging in philanthropic tourism" trains of thought).

You've stated your point, so let it be. Things you quoted above are what some others believe in, so let them(us) be. Please let this topic go, the originally posted got her answer (i hope) and then some. Everyone will take that piece of information and use it to their advantage. If Cozumel isn't worth your time, then book Disney wonder. Simple as that.

WldWcnWmn said:
Thanks for sharing your warts. :rolleyes1

Looks like the OP asked recent cruisers about Cozumel...you had inaccurate information with negative connotations

Yes, certainly, I brought nothing substantive or accurate to this thread ...except...

• The fact there is still not a single full cruise ship pier yet available in Cozumel (which no one else bothered to mention)

• The fact the sea lion encounter (the best attraction at Chankanaab) is still not available (which no one else bothered to mention)

• The fact the cruise experts (which live over on Cruise Critic, this board has a niche focus with narrower and -- yes --less overall industry perspective) still sense a decline in the overall liveliness of Cozumel, which is understandable (something no else else bothered to mention)

• The fact some of the prinicpal websites owned and run by Mexican tourism promoters are still playing fast and loose with the facts about conditions on Cozumel, like Dolphin Encounter, which doesn't mention the fact Chankanaab and the Dolphin swim facilities themselves are operating in "plywood and chain-link rebuild mode," and that there is no beach left - also unmentioned on the "thisiscozumel" website, which is also displaying some pre-Wilma photos of the park, implying they are current (again, something no else bothered to mention, and a critical component of the Caveat Emptor recommendation to upcoming visitors)

Looks like the wartless want to select what the OPs get to hear....
seehearspeak.gif

:teeth:

beachblanket said:
Yes, certainly, I brought nothing substantive or accurate to this thread ...except...

• The fact there is still not a single full cruise ship pier yet available in Cozumel (which no one else bothered to mention)

• The fact the sea lion encounter (the best attraction at Chankanaab) is still not available (which no one else bothered to mention)

• The fact the cruise experts (which live over on Cruise Critic, this board has a niche focus with narrower and -- yes --less overall industry perspective) still sense a decline in the overall liveliness of Cozumel, which is understandable (something no else else bothered to mention)

• The fact some of the prinicpal websites owned and run by Mexican tourism promoters are still playing fast and loose with the facts about conditions on Cozumel, like Dolphin Encounter, which doesn't mention the fact Chankanaab and the Dolphin swim facilities themselves are operating in "plywood and chain-link rebuild mode," and that there is no beach left - also unmentioned on the "thisiscozumel" website, which is also displaying some pre-Wilma photos of the park, implying they are current (again, something no else bothered to mention, and a critical component of the Caveat Emptor recommendation to upcoming visitors)

Looks like the wartless want to select what the OPs get to hear....
seehearspeak.gif

:teeth:

1) We're all aware of the port since... Disney cruise ship can't dock at the port... which means something. I'm sure if not all, but most of the people are aware of the tender going from cruise ship to shore.

2) Isn't the dolphin encounter the favorite attraction of Chankanaab? At least that's what I was told by both DCL and Chankanaab park operator since two years back. :confused3 Thanks for letting us know about the sea lion show, much appreciated.

3) I believe the conditions of dolphin excursion has been brought up and mentioned on both of the trip report posts, which was again posted in this thread. Definately no fluff there.

we did the july 15 cruise and we went to the chankanaab park it is very nice over their they have a brand new building for shopping and for the dolphin swim where you watch your video new 40 in plasma tv they did a beautiful job redoing the park you can still see the damage the beach was very clean and the nacho's were great the dolphin swim as being reported by others on this site is here not in cancun they are only at chankanaab, they built a new pier and platforms we had a great time one of the dolphins was titan we swam with him in july of 2004 it was great to see him back the park is still worth going to for snorkeling and swimming with the dolphin if you want to swim in the little lagoon it is not their it look like they were dredging it out hope this helps if you hve any questions email me and i will help you out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter