Post-It Notes for auto-flushing toilets

Best Aunt

"That's the best-est present ever!"
I've read that you can stick a Post-It Note over the electric eye on auto-flushing toilets to prevent them from flushing automatically. Can anyone tell me what size Post-It Notes work on the auto-flushing toilets in the ladies' rooms at Disney World?

We have Post-It Notes that are 3 x 5 inches, 3 x 3, and 1 1/2 x 2. I'm not sure which are the right size.

Any of those would work fine. The electric eye dot is small enough to cover with a fingertip, but the flat surface it's embedded in is large enough that none of those would easily fall off.

Personally, I'd go with the little ones, just for convenience.

We were there this past week and my kids never had an issue with the flush happening too soon. In fact, 9 out of 10 times I had to push the button to make it flush!

In fact, 9 out of 10 times I had to push the button to make it flush!

You'd think automatic toilet flusher-makers would have the timing thing down, wouldn't you? Why on earth do some toilets start flushing before you're done, others as you're opening the stall door to leave, and yet others you have to return and push the darn button yourself?! :rotfl: And then there's the waving/flapping thing you have to do to get water/towels to turn on...:yay:

I always carried the 3X3 size because the smaller size always seemed to get lost at the bottom of my purse.

why don't you want them to flush?

I have had to use a number of them the the previous owner must be used to pit toilets, because they dont flush, and its getting a bit tiresome to know that a bunch of no-class people seem to be visiting the parks.

how about flushing them, and allow the auto-flush to operate as much as possible!

if you don't want fluch toilets, go tent camping in the deep woods instead.

Dear Grumpy Pirate,

My DD is afraid of the loud sound the auto flush toilets make.

Target stores seem to be the loudest.

She can place a post it on the sensor and when she is finished remove the post-it and toss it in the trash.

Sometimes when the littlest fans lean forward the sensor thinks it's time to flush.
A very scary expirence for a potty trainer.

Please have some compassion.

Dear Grumpy Pirate,

My DD is afraid of the loud sound the auto flush toilets make.

Target stores seem to be the loudest.

She can place a post it on the sensor and when she is finished remove the post-it and toss it in the trash.

Sometimes when the littlest fans lean forward the sensor thinks it's time to flush.
A very scary expirence for a potty trainer.

Please have some compassion.

I agree, don't leave floaters!!!! (a lot of people don't take away the "post it")

and before you get upset, both my kids and now grand kids got use to it during that "trying time"

the reason being that they COULD get used to the different noises from a public washroom and be able to use it.

why don't you want them to flush?

I have had to use a number of them the the previous owner must be used to pit toilets, because they dont flush, and its getting a bit tiresome to know that a bunch of no-class people seem to be visiting the parks.

how about flushing them, and allow the auto-flush to operate as much as possible!

if you don't want fluch toilets, go tent camping in the deep woods instead.

Oh darling, here, have some rum. Feel better?

I think a lot of people's kids are afraid if they flush too soon, and they intended to flush them when the child is off the throne.

Back on track here folks...my dd5 is still afraid of the flushing coming when she is still on the throne. So we used the post its last year and it worked like a charm. We got the flower shaped ones, ( I let her pick them out). Bringing them back again this year!!

Back on track here folks...my dd5 is still afraid of the flushing coming when she is still on the throne. So we used the post its last year and it worked like a charm. We got the flower shaped ones, ( I let her pick them out). Bringing them back again this year!!

One of my 7 year olds is still afraid too. And trust me, we worked with her on many auto-flushers. Taking her out in public was a nightmare when she was 3. She's more reasonable now, but still, she'll sometimes downright refuse and then I have to insist, then after several minutes of her having attitude, she'll finally do it. BUT usually I, or one of her same age sisters, has to put their hand over the sensor when we don't have Post-Its. And I'd rather it be the Post-It than me leaning over her, or the others having to touch other things in there to cover the sensor.

It's simply easier and less stressful for EVERYONE. We always remove our Post-Its. We got bright pink 3x3 @ WM school supply sale!

Heck im 38 years old and while the automatic flushers dont bother me. The super turbo flush in the resorts has me on edge. Have to make sure everything is out the way before you hit those things.

The problem with the Disney toilets is that they tend to flush while the user is still sitting there (especially if that user is small) and the flushing of these toilets is so loud and violent that I'm terrified my adult sized body just might be sucked down with the pee. Not to mention the fact that I don't want toilet water splashed all over me during the violent flush. The idea of the post it (or in my case, toilet paper which works just as well) is to trick the sensor into thinking the user is still there. Once the user gets up, she removes the post it, and the toilet flushes.

I just wanted to add that my DD(4) is REALLY afraid of automatic toliets. She had one flush on her while she was trying to go and it scared her A LOT. In fact, it's the first thing she notices in a bathroom is if it's an automatic flusher. And she refuses to use it unless we cover the sensor.

I never heard of the post it suggestion we just always use a small piece of toliet paper and then I put it in the toliet when we are done and it flushes away with everything else.

I am glad to hear my DD is not alone in her fear.:goodvibes

I usually cover the sensor when I go too b/c I don't like it flushing on me by accident.

Sorry I can't help with the size of the post it notes but good luck and have a great trip!

I've read that you can stick a Post-It Note over the electric eye on auto-flushing toilets to prevent them from flushing automatically. Can anyone tell me what size Post-It Notes work on the auto-flushing toilets in the ladies' rooms at Disney World?

We have Post-It Notes that are 3 x 5 inches, 3 x 3, and 1 1/2 x 2. I'm not sure which are the right size.

You know, I can't believe I've never thought of this. I need to toss some in my purse today. I hate having to stand beside either of my girls while they're in the stalls just so I can cover that sensor. Yes my girls should be old enough to handle it, but they're both special needs and have some auditory sensory issues and anxiety issues which make them freak out over those toilets. They'll only use those toilets if I go in with them to cover the sensors. They will actually have accidents before using them if I refuse to cover the sensor. I'm so happy to get this suggestion of post it notes.

The problem with the Disney toilets is that they tend to flush while the user is still sitting there (especially if that user is small) and the flushing of these toilets is so loud and violent that I'm terrified my adult sized body just might be sucked down with the pee. Not to mention the fact that I don't want toilet water splashed all over me during the violent flush. The idea of the post it (or in my case, toilet paper which works just as well) is to trick the sensor into thinking the user is still there. Once the user gets up, she removes the post it, and the toilet flushes.
The sensitivity of the toilets vary a lot.
There are some that won't flush even when you leave the stall and others that flush even when you are sitting perfectly still.

Even with the 'good' ones, they may go off multiple times. My DD is disabled and needs me to help her transfer from her wheelchair to the toilet. Without the Post It notes, the toilet interpreted my movements as being done with the toilet (even though DD is still sitting there). Because of her disability, she can't sit completely still and often, the toilet interpreted that as being done and flushed. Before starting to use Post It notes, our record was around 12 flushes before she was actually done and needing it to flush.
Most people who put something over the sensor are very conscencious about taking it off. I have never come into a toilet stall with anything covering the sensor. I have come into one that was not flushed, but didn't have anything on the sensor. I think people just expect it to flush and don't check that it actually did.

We had an issue last year with our daughter jumping up when the toilet flushed and she had a bit of an accident. She was really embarrassed. Sometimes she didn't even move and it would flush. She has been afraid of them since she was pottytrained and she still doesn't like them and she is older now. She still doesn't like how the "water" from the toilet can sometimes splash up and get her tush wet. Some of them have a lot of power. I really like the idea of using a sticky (tired of holding my hand in front of the sensor too). Thanks for the great idea. And no worries, we always wait to see if the potty flushes before we leave the stall and if it doesn't, we flush it!

Okay good...glad to know my 4 year old is normal! LOL! :lmao:

Ever since our Disney trip last year she is deathly afraid of automatic flushing toilets. That is the first thing she looks for. She has a phobia of public bathrooms anyways, but the automatic ones make it worse.

We just cover the eye/sensor with our hand until she is finished.

I usually get the extra sticky kind. Yes, the toilets have a tendency to flush while people are still on them. I think as long as we remove them when we are done, so that the toilets flush, it should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter