Post hysterectomy trip to WDW

kathleendsm

Mouseketeer
We've had a trip planned for the Princess half for a long time now. In December I had to have a hysterectomy (so the Princess is probably out for me :rotfl2:). Our trip will start a bit over 8 weeks after my surgery and last for 10 days (including both Disney and Universal). Judging by how tired and achy I am today 4 weeks after surgery just after errands, I'm really worried. So I'm wondering, how easy is wheelchair rental? Are they comfortable? Is it something that I might be able to push myself for part of the time to spare my husband? I'm mostly concerned that I'll need a place to sit and won't be able to stand/walk the usual 10-12 miles that our family travels on a typical WDW day.

Also, just to note, I'm not interested in a DAS. I know the lines are mainstreamed. We have Fastpass+ reservations. I just want to know about how easy the mobility aids are. :thumbsup2

It is extremely difficult and tiring trying to push yourself in a wheelchair. Your arms and hands will be sore quickly.

You could consider renting a scooter instead, giving you the mobility you need to get around true parks. When you want to walk, just park it in one area and do the various attractions there and then move on to the next area on the scooter.

I would also recommend an ECV (scooter) rental, and from an offsite vendor so you have it for around the resort too.

Good advice! I am hoping I won't need it that much though. I figured I would mostly need it in the parks themselves. I know there is a lot of walking in the resorts, but if I try to take it easy maybe it won't be so bad? I have never used one at all. My main issue is a feeling of pressure internally when I do too much. Maybe I should see what my doctor thinks. I wasn't worried one bit about this trip until today. I have always relished walking around the parks and grounds. :worried:

If they still have some left when you get to the stand, renting a chair from WDW for a day in the park is very easy. However comfortable they are not, nor functional always. Something you don't realize as a walking park goer is all the inclines all over the parks, pushing yourself would be incredibly difficult. My mom struggled to push me for just a few hours a couple days. I would also recommend a ECV, if you're comfortable driving one (I wasn't).

With a regular wheelchair you could mix it up a bit. For example, let them push you sometimes, walk sometimes, and load up the chair with your belongings and push the chair yourself, using it to lean on.

I hope as you continue to heal, it will be easier and better than you think.

:)

With a regular wheelchair you could mix it up a bit. For example, let them push you sometimes, walk sometimes, and load up the chair with your belongings and push the chair yourself, using it to lean on.

I hope as you continue to heal, it will be easier and better than you think.

:)
An ECV could only be used or not used. And, if you choose to walk, it would either be parked or someone else in your group drives it. Some people choose to park the ECV in a central location in a specific area, then walk in the shorter lines and shops. That would be a way you could combine walking and riding.
An ECV would allow you to be on your own without worrying about how to get around.

If you are not comfortable with a ECV, a wheelchair used the way the previous poster mentioned can be incredibly helpful. It does provide some support to you while you push it, so you could choose to do that when you are alone ( or even with others if you want to walk).

I was going to suggest using something motorized. After my hysterectomy, it took a lot longer than the doctor said it would for me to feel 100% again.

I went to Disney 9 weeks post hysterectomy and I can tell you what I experienced. I wore down a lot quicker than other trips - and I use an ECV for other health issues. Even using an ECV takes stamina with driving, avoiding hitting people who cut in front of you, etc. Lots of rest breaks were helpful as well as parking the ECV and walking a bit now & then - especially in crowded areas like stores & restaurants where using an ECV or wheelchair can be daunting.

Staying well hydrated helped with the digestive issues you may still have post hysterectomy. If you're taking any HET meds, remover those can affect the effect of sun exposure, so be sure to wear your sunscreen.

We made sure to follow my body's signals & not try to soldier through. It's do-able, but you do want to give your body plenty of time to heal after a hysterectomy.

All my doctors say that it takes at least a full year to completely recover. I found that any action causing me to pull or push using my abs was difficult for up to 9 months after my hysterectomy. I imagine pushing yourself around will put tremendous strain on your abdomen as the parks are quite hilly.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a magical vacation.

An ECV could only be used or not used. And, if you choose to walk, it would either be parked or someone else in your group drives it. Some people choose to park the ECV in a central location in a specific area, then walk in the shorter lines and shops. That would be a way you could combine walking and riding.
QUOTE]

DITTO!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Not the same thing, but sorta close. I went to WDW April 2013 after 12 long weeks of zero weight being post-op and 3 weeks in a boot. I got GREAT advice from this group. DEFINITELY get an ECV!!! As Sue mentioned, you can park it and walk as you fell like it. This is what we did w/ my rented wc, (I had a friend able and willing to push. )

There is *no way* I could have handled just walking from resort to bus to park main attractions. I would have been done for the day. But I'd ride the wc to an ECV/stroller/wc parking spot and then walk for a couple of hours. It was truly a godsend! And here is something else you may not have considered, every afternoon is rained. I mean monsoon type rains. Obviously, I wanted to hurry out, but post-op, there was no "hurry" in my vocabulary! LOL! Having something wheeled allowed us to exit quickly and w/o tiring me further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter