Post family Disney-theme night ideas HERE!

It's Incredibles Night here at our house! We had a lot of fun with making up our own superhero identities, we chose to draw them. DD6 is a Super whose power is saving animals. DS2 said his Super name is "Pink" (e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is pink lately! We had to sit on the "pink" bench at Disney World, even though it was actually brown. You ask him what kind of car he would like, and of course - pink! You get the picture...) and he can fly. I became Mega Mom, able to make PB&J at the snap of my fingers, and race around the house at super speeds to clean faster. If only...;)
We are just getting ready to make sundaes, and the chip dip was a real hit!

Let us know how your theme nights turn out and if you have any suggestions!

And the kids had a "Super" time. In an effort for them not to drive us batty with "how long until WDW" on a daily basis, we designated Sunday's as our weekly Disney day. Kast SUnday was our first and it was a lot of fun.

This Sunday we were going to do Monsters Inc but now are switching to Cars since it's the Daytona 500 day!

Great thread. So glad I found it

I am SO happy everyone is liking the thread!
collcass, so glad your Incredibles night went well! Did you do anything differently? And please share any ideas you have for your "Cars" night! I am coming up clueless for that one!
ellenmiele, thanks for the easy link! Care to share which you have made and have turned out well?

I am SO happy everyone is liking the thread!
collcass, so glad your Incredibles night went well! Did you do anything differently? And please share any ideas you have for your "Cars" night! I am coming up clueless for that one!
ellenmiele, thanks for the easy link! Care to share which you have made and have turned out well?

We didn't do anything too different. We haven't been to Disney so on our designated day we talk alot about expectations rather than trying to keep the magic alive.

I'll post our cars stuff this evening.

We didn't do anything too different. We haven't been to Disney so on our designated day we talk alot about expectations rather than trying to keep the magic alive.

I'll post our cars stuff this evening.

Ooooooooohhh! Your FIRST trip! How awesome.

You guys are going to LOVE it! We'll be there at the same time. It'll be hot, and it'll be crowded, but we will have a magical time.

I hope it meets your every expectation. Have fun with your parties until then. When you finally get there, I think you will just be hooked for life!

Maybe we can cross paths with you sometime during your trip. We'll be there from June 28th to July 7th - staying at Pop. Check out the Baby and the Tramp link in my signature to see our last four trips, if you'd like.

Well, we did our first Disney Family Night last and in honor of Valentine's Day, we did Lady and the Tramp. The kids had so much fun.

To recap,
Movie Lady and the Tramp

Food-Spaghetti and Meatballs-recipe below
Mickey mouse raviolis (found at kroger)
breadsticks
tomato and mozzarella salad
giant cupcakes-had these special made to look like giant flowers-not really movie related, but fun for the Valentines tie-in.

Activities:
While dinner was cooking, I turned my kiddies into doggies by drawing a nose and whiskers on their faces with a eyeliner pencil.

Then we made dog collars out of ribbon. Earlier we went to Wal-Mart and got engraved dog tags with their names and phone number-$4.00 a piece. We slide the tags on the collars and the kids loved wearing them around the house all night-we'll save the tags for our trip!

Then I gave each a little ball and told them that dogs liked to push them with their noses. We played fetch until dinner was ready.

We laid out a red and white vinyl tablecloth on the floor in our living room and ate dinner while we watched the movie.

It was a great time!

Meatballs (i doubled this recipe):
1 lb ground beef
½ cup plain bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1 tsp very coarsely minced garlic (or garlic powder)
½ cup fresh Parmeseano Reggiano cheese, grated
2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley, flat leaf (or dried parsley)
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
2 Tbs olive oil.

Mix all together but oil. Make 2 inch balls. Put oil in skillet, add meatballs and brown on all sides.
Add browned balls to the meat sauce and simmer for 30 min. Serve sauce and
meatballs over a bed of your favorite pasta.

Ooooooooohhh! Your FIRST trip! How awesome.

You guys are going to LOVE it! We'll be there at the same time. It'll be hot, and it'll be crowded, but we will have a magical time.

I hope it meets your every expectation. Have fun with your parties until then. When you finally get there, I think you will just be hooked for life!

Maybe we can cross paths with you sometime during your trip. We'll be there from June 28th to July 7th - staying at Pop. Check out the Baby and the Tramp link in my signature to see our last four trips, if you'd like.
I'm hoping it will! Will read your TR this afternoon

AS for cars: Here are some recipes I got from the internet
Lightning’s Speedy Sandwiches
Build sandwiches that look like cars with personality, like Lightning McQueen and his friends!
Ingredients:
- hoagie buns
- pretzel sticks
- round cucumber slices
- olives
- chicken salad, sloppy joe mixture, or nut butter with banana chunks
Scoop out the top and middle of each bun, forming a pocket to fill later. Poke 4 pretzel sticks through bun for wheel axles, and add a cucumber slice (wheel) to the outer end of each pretzel stick. Push 2 more pretzels sticks into front of bun and add olives for car eyes (headlights). Fill bun pocket with filling of choice.
Clink & Clunk’s Road Mix
When your crew gets the munchies, have bowls of this fuel handy.
Ingredients:
- raisins, pretzels, chocolate chips, cereal and nuts
Mix up any of the above ingredients to create a healthy road mix your guests can enjoy throughout the party.
Mater’s Oil Sundaes
A party favorite! Chocolate syrup becomes edible “motor oil” in these tasty roadside sundaes.
Ingredients:
- vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- chocolate syrup
- chopped nuts
You’ll also need the following craft items: toothpicks, black pen, construction paper, and glue or tape.
Before the party, use the craft items listed above to create a checkered flag for each child’s sundae. To make the sundaes, place a scoop of ice cream in each child’s bowl and add chocolate syrup. Sprinkle nuts on top. Then add a checkered flag for the winning touch.
Racetrack Cake
Ingredients:
2 boxed cake mixes and toothpicks
- chocolate, green and white frosting
You’ll also need a round cake pan, a 9"x13" pan, a wire rack for cooling cakes, and racing candles.
Prepare cake mixes. Pour 1/3 of batter in round pan, and remainder in 9"x13" pan. Insert toothpick into center of cakes; when pick comes out clean, remove cakes from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack. To form an oval racetrack, cut round cake in half, and position the halves next to opposite ends of the rectangular cake. Trim edges, where necessary, and frost the whole cake with chocolate icing. Create an oval patch of “grass” in center with green sprinkles. Outline the track with candies of your choice. Decorate with Racing Candles.
Filmore’s Traffic Light Treats
These crackers are named in honor of Filmore, the ’60s mini-bus. (“I’m tellin’ ya man, every third blink is slower.”)
Ingredients:
- chocolate graham crackers and chocolate frosting
- red, yellow and green M&Ms®
Divide graham crackers into small rectangular sections. Using frosting as “glue,” attach a red, yellow and green M&M on each to create a cool traffic light treat. Far out!
Cars Punch
Pour everyone a cup of Lightning-red punch full of ice cubes with gummy cars.
Ingredients:
- apple juice, cherry juice and lemon-lime soda
- gummy car candy
You’ll also need several ice trays.
To create the cubes, fill several ice trays with apple juice and drop 1 or more gummy cars into each section. Freeze (approximately 5 hours). Drop at least 2 cubes into every cup and pour in 50% cherry juice and 50% lemon-lime soda. Invite kids to sip away!

And from another site:
Serve Up Some Speedy FareWhen it comes to food, partygoers are usually perfectly content to eat pizza or hotdogs, which is certainly much easier on the hosts! However, if you have the time and would like to serve racecar-themed treats, consider these ideas: · Set up a concession stand for children to "order" lunch as if they were at the track. Have hotdogs, soft pretzels, nachos, popcorn, and other similar snacks available. ·

Make "Stop Lights" using a round object (like a cookie/biscuit cutter or the top of a glass) to cut out circles of green, yellow and red Jello. ·
Serve your little pit crew their lunches in white paper lunch bags with a racecar sticker to hold it closed. Label the outside of each bag with a guest’s name, and fill it with a sandwich, fruit, cheese crackers, and a juice box. ·
Cut a watermelon to look like a car and serve it filled with fruit. Lay the melon on one long side and cut out a lid from the top. Use a small round scoop to create balls of watermelon, keeping the shell intact. Then cut two grapefruits in half to become the wheels. Using a small wooden skewer, attach the four grapefruit halves with the cut side facing out to look like wheels. Add a cherry in the middle of each wheel with a toothpick and fill the car with the melon balls! ·
Serve racecar-shaped sugar cookies. (See link below.) ·
Here is an easy way to create a Racetrack Birthday Cake. First bake a 9x13" cake, and cover it with white frosting. Next use a tube of black gel frosting or chocolate sprinkles to draw a road around the cake. Then place small toy cars on the road as cake toppers, and you're done! · Make quick and easy "wheels" from any round cookie, by adding an M&M or junior mint in the center as the hubcap.

Now for what we are actually doing

Since it is also the Daytona 500 and we are having company, I am simplifying it a bit. We are decorating the table as the Pit

For lunch the kids will have checkered flag sandwiches. (Tuna or chicken salad on pumpernickel and white) Will cut into squares and arrange to look like a checkered flag. I am also going to have available food iitems widely available at a racetrack such as dogs,burgers and these absolutely scrumptious but completely fattening steak sandwiches.

i am making sugar cookies to look like hubcaps. I don't have time for the cake so I am getting a race day cake and adding caars decorations.

Not going along with the theme but while the guiys are watching the 500, I'll be doing the kids clipboards for their autographs!!

That's it

baloosgirl and collcass, thanks for the great ideas! I will add them to our index on post #1! baloosgirl, we will make yours Lady & the Tramp II so no one misses it! Keep the awesome ideas coming! Anyone have any activity ideas to go along with "Cars" night?

We did our second Disney Friday last week--it was "Spirit of Mickey".

I bought some of those frozen Mickey hamburgers & grilled them up on my foreman. I used a Mickey icon cookie cutter to cut slices of cheese for the burgers. We made frozen fries and then for our activity/dessert we made Mickey head rice krispie treats. We used the microwave dipping chocolate and dipped the ears in chocolate, then drizzled more. We sprinkled them with mini choc chips and mini m&m's.

We had a lot of fun! :cool1:

We did our second Disney Friday last week--it was "Spirit of Mickey".

I bought some of those frozen Mickey hamburgers & grilled them up on my foreman. I used a Mickey icon cookie cutter to cut slices of cheese for the burgers. We made frozen fries and then for our activity/dessert we made Mickey head rice krispie treats. We used the microwave dipping chocolate and dipped the ears in chocolate, then drizzled more. We sprinkled them with mini choc chips and mini m&m's.

We had a lot of fun! :cool1:

Sounds like loads of fun.

As far as the Cars activities, they did have a bunch of ideas. I'll find them and post in the morning. We actually made the kids their altered clipboards for autographs while watching the Daytona 500.

Last night at Target in the $1 section I found a wooden magnetic fishing set, just like the one described in the activity for "Pete's Dragon" night! I was so excited, as this is easier, and cheaper for once, than making them yourself!
Just thought you might want to know, I hope the $1 section stuff is the same across the country!

Movie - The Aristocats

Menu - Crepes bar (buy store-bought crepes, and offer a variety of fillings for everyone to try. Examples: strawberry, cheese, chocolate banana. I'm sure there are savory fillings, but I'm a sweets girl!)
Creme de la Creme de Edgar (see recipe below)

Activities - Painting night! Explore different styles of painting (French impressionism a la Monet, put on jazz music and let the music guide your modern art!).
Create a Crayola clay eiffel tower keepsake diorama!
http://www.crayola.com/crafts/detail/fireworks-under-the-stars-craft/

Creme de la creme de Edgar
5 T flour
1 C milk
1 C sugar
1 C butter
1 tsp vanilla

Cook flour and milk over low heat until thick; cool. Cream together sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Beat until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. *This is a good activity to give everyone a chance to beat the cream, as it does take a while!*

took me a few minutes to find this thread, so i figured i'd bump it up for anyone gearing up for a spring trip! we leave in 7 weeks and our family loves the idea of doing a movie themed dinner weekly!

last night was our Brother Bear party. here are a few more suggestions:

-we made a "family totem pole". each of us picked an animal, and using some pics of inuit artwork, i tried to copy the general style when drawing the pictures of the animals. (i wanted the kids to draw their own, but they just wanted to color them in). we were going to just draw them on paper and tape them to the wall, but we ended up buying some Crayola markers that color on glass and we drew the pictures on the windows next to our front door.

-we covered the kitchen table with dark blankets and used our flameless candles under the table as a "fire" inside our "cave" where we ate our dinner (salmon run fish, grass/salad, and berries)

we did a Peter Pan party when the movie was released (last year?) and here are a few extra suggestions for that:

- we took an old sheet and draped it over some trim board scraps tied together to make a teepee. the kids and i used poster paint to decorate it (used pics. of tiger Lilly's village in the Peter Pan book for decorating ideas).

-we hung blue material from a door way to make a waterfall, and taped paper "rocks" on the floor leading to it. we played "follow the leader" hopping on the rocks, going under the waterfall, aound the indian village, etc.

-we all have been characters from Peter Pan for the last 2 Halloweens, so we were set for costumes, but the grandparents dressed as pirates with bandanas.

thanks for all the great ideas!

asktriplets,
Thank you so much for breathing new life into this thread! I hit a block with movies and ideas and have been hoping someone would be able to add!! Great ideas! We will add them to the index on post #1!

princesstigerlily,

thank you so much for putting this all together!

my kids have LOVED reading down the list of ideas and thinking of what they might want to do next...one of my girls' favorite movie is Aristocats, and your most recent ideas for that party were great! the kids are beyond excited to make the creme de la creme de edgar and lick it up like a cat next week!

we did more of this kind of thing last year before i started them in preschool...i think you all have listed some GREAT ideas that are really pretty educational, too (the painting for aristocats is just one example, and i know my kids and i have done some research on native american artwork with our brother bear and peter pan movie parties).

the other nice thing about being Disney fans is that on these nights, the kids don't even have to watch the movie that night to understand everything that you are doing (my kids watched part of the Brother Bear Singalong movie last night while i was getting dinner ready, but really, they were more interested in the stuff for the party than watching the movie!)

Anybody have any ideas for Cinderella? We don't have very many Disney movies so I thought I would buy a movie each month and plan a meal and event around the movie and then present the movie to the kids to watch. We were going to go to WDW this Dec but it looks like we won't be able to go until 2009. This will give us something to look forward to each month until our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter