Post family Disney-theme night ideas HERE!

great ideas and pics everyone!

We did Pocahontas night this past friday.

For our meal we had a Thanksgiving feast (sort of) my girls don't like Turkey haha so I bought deli turkey and made turkey sandwiches, with mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, popcorn, rolls, corn.
for dessert we just had vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce :) I couldn't come up with something else!

Activities

we made Indian head dresses
& Dreamcatchers (template and instructions on disney.com) they came out awesome and took a good amount of time
then watched the movie!
41 days until our trip!!!!!

Can anyone help me with idea for a Hunger Games theme dinner? I know it's not Disney, but my DD has asked for this theme for our next night...I have no idea.

Can anyone help me with idea for a Hunger Games theme dinner? I know it's not Disney, but my DD has asked for this theme for our next night...I have no idea.

I did a couple hunger games type things for a college function we held. I bought a Dollar Store bow and arrow set and then set up a hula hoop as the target to shoot through. You can also make mini- parachutes out of aluminum foil and construction paper to use as candy or food containers. Check Pinterest for ideas though. There are a million of them for it.

You could do a capital style feast win lots of food, and cute cupcakes and punch for dessert. You could do a mini reaping for a prize. And play the sip game while watching the movie. You can make up your own rules for the sip game, but here are some examples. Whenever someone says "the hunger games" take 3 sips (of whatever drink you like)
Whenever you see Effie with a new color of hair, take 1 sip
Take 2 sips every time you see the mockingjay pin
Take 1 sip every time katniss hears a canon in the arena.
Etc... You get the idea you can change it up however you like. See who has drunk the most/ least by the end of the movie, it's a really fun way to interact with the movie!

Our second movie night was A Bug's Life.

Our meal was picnic-themed. The menu was grape caterpillars, (pretzel) walking sticks, ladybug strawberries, spider webs, a poo poo platter (burgers), and of course, bug juice to drink.

We made antennae before the meal, so we could eat in true bug-style.

I love it! So cute! How did you do the spider webs?

Any Roger Rabbit ideas?

My siblings and I used to watch it all the time as kids, but nothing pops out at me.

I just saw that it is available on Netflix and my kids are old enough to enjoy it now so I thought I would add it to our movie night list.

Sometimes we do a whole themed evening, but even just something simple, like a fun snack, would work.

Last weekend we had our Lion King movie night. It was a lot of fun.

Invitation:

Decorations were a challenge. I found this cloth remnant for cheap at Walmart. It is technically jungle, but I went with it anyhow:

Carnivorous Turkey Legs:

Crunchy-Yet-Satisfying Grub Salad:

Pride Rock Potatoes:

Jungle Juice (AKL recipe):

I used a poem from a PP for the safari:

Since it is a blurry picture, here is what it says:

Come Search For Us!
Where lions roar and monkey's swing;
Where Simba just can't wait to be King!
Where HAKUNA MATATA means No Worry;
So relax, take you time, we're not in a hurry.
Grab your binoculars, and for Rafiki a banana,
Let's go on safari in our backyard Savanna.

DS wanted to dress for the occasion:

And he made DD dress a little, too:

On safari:

And the spoils of the hunt:

After the safari, we headed back inside for the movie and some of Rafiki's Banana Pudding:

Remember the jungle elements I used for this movie night? Well, guess what movie DS drew from the jar for next month...

So yeah...next month's movie night just may look a lot like this one. :faint:

Oopsidaisy, I love your lion king ideas! Your ds looked so cute dressed for the safari, I'm glad his sister was willing to dress the part for him

Any Roger Rabbit ideas?

My siblings and I used to watch it all the time as kids, but nothing pops out at me.

I just saw that it is available on Netflix and my kids are old enough to enjoy it now so I thought I would add it to our movie night list.

Sometimes we do a whole themed evening, but even just something simple, like a fun snack, would work.

The few things that I thought of was that you could make a spicy dip for the dip the judge uses. Maybe buffalo dip.

Also bar food since there is the bar scene and some bar type food when Jessica performs.

For a Roger Rabbit activity, how about setting up a room in your house as a crime scene that the kids need to solve? You could have clues that lead to different characters in the movie (so many to choose from) or possibly other rooms for more clues. Maybe kind of like a scavenger hunt? You could even make your own little caroon looking cab for the kids to travel from room to room out of a card board box.

Hi! I have been following along this thread for months and have had so many great ideas from all of you! We have been doing Movie Nights every two weeks or so for the past few months and they have been so much fun. We don't eat in the dining room often but we always do for movie night and DD loves it! Its really special family time. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Here are some pics from our two most recent movie nights:

Winnie the Pooh

For dinner we had Tigger Tails (corn dogs) Pooh's Puffed tators (tator tots) Rabbit's Harvest (carrots, celery, strawberries, raspberries, black berries) and Piglets Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. It was a great meal! After dinner we watched the movie, which my DD LOVED! She had never seen anything Winnie the Pooh and she thought it was great! I made her a Winnie the Pooh dress for our recent trip to WDW and she wore it that night! Since DD is only 2 we really didn't do any activities, just dinner and the movie.

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

009.JPG

012.JPG

Last night we did The Muppets! This was such a fun movie! DH really loved it!
We had The Swedish Chef's Swedish meatballs over noodles, Its Not Easy Being Green Peas, Animal's tye-dye bread, and Rainbow connection jello.

058.JPGp:

059.JPG

061.JPG

064.JPG

I usually do more decorations, but the food for this one took so long a few stuffed animals were all I could do!

I've been reading this giant thread over the last week and just wanted to thank all the awesome Mom's for these fabulous ideas!! We have 12 weeks until we leave and started our first Family Movie Night last Friday. The kids (6 & 4) were super excited! I will try to remember to take pics and share our menus to keep adding to the magic. Thanks again Mama's!!

May I ask how you made the bread? Thanks!

Sure! I used this recipe I found on pintrest:
http://theartisticfarmer.blogspot.com/2012/10/soft-rainbow-sandwich-bread.html
I really liked the taste of the bread, it was a good recipe, but if you have a favorite bread recipe I am sure you can apply the same concept. I used gel food coloring which made the bread a deeper color. It was time consuming but very fun! My DD and DH had french toast with the leftovers this morning!

Last night we did The Muppets! This was such a fun movie! DH really loved it!
We had The Swedish Chef's Swedish meatballs over noodles, Its Not Easy Being Green Peas, Animal's tye-dye bread, and Rainbow connection jello.

Your bread and jello look amazing! The whoopie pies look tasty, too. I've never tried pumpkin whoopie pies.

I had myself an impromptu Disney theme night, based on The Fox And The Hound.

For dinner I had chicken wrapped in bacon with cheese in rice and peas (Farmyard theme I guess? Since the farmer keeps chickens), I watched the movie and then played some of the little games on the DVD for an activity. It was fun and a nice way to spend a Tuesday night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter