• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I have questions about using LUV vouchers and also purchasing points. I was just issued a LUV voucher for the first time due to damage to a bag during our recent flight. Can I use the LUV voucher and combine it with points to book a flight? If so, if I need to cancel that flight, I know the points are returned to my account, but is the LUV voucher still good to use again (if I use it before the expiration date)?

Also, if I purchase points on the special 45% off right now, are they immediately transferred into my account to use? We need more points than what we have to book a flight. And again, if we need to cancel the flight, are all points, accumulated and purchased, returned to my account?
LUV vouchers and points cannot be combined for a flight. However, you can purchase 2 separate one-way tickets and use the LUV voucher + cash for one way and then points for the other way. If you cancel the flight the entire flight cost (LUV voucher plus cash) will be issued as a credit with the original expiration date for the LUV voucher OR one year from the flight purchase date, whichever is earlier. The flight purchased with points will be refunded to your account with no expiration date.

ETA: the statement above assumes a WGA or WGA+ fare. Higher fares are refundable.

Last edited:
I was just going to ask about this. Is the 45% a good deal? We got that offer too and since we are planning to book Christmas travel, I anticipate we might need more points than we have.
If buying points then yes it's a good deal, the best I've seen. I've done the math and determined that the 45% off offer is slightly better than the 75% bonus points offer.

I was just going to ask about this. Is the 45% a good deal? We got that offer too and since we are planning to book Christmas travel, I anticipate we might need more points than we have.

Some quick math with Excel shows that 45% discount makes those points cost 1.5125 cents per point. It's a little worse than the generally accepted 1.3 cents per point for Southwest, but for a quick top off, it's not terrible. It's about a16.3% premium for purchasing the points.

Some quick math with Excel shows that 45% discount makes those points cost 1.5125 cents per point. It's a little worse than the generally accepted 1.3 cents per point for Southwest, but for a quick top off, it's not terrible. It's about a16.3% premium for purchasing the points.

I've done the same math and have gotten the same results. :) Thanks for sharing the numbers! Buying points will never be less than buying the flight outright, but sometimes the flexibility of the points is worth the extra cost. Of the offers I've seen (excluding the anniversary offer which was one time and very limited), the best offers in order are 45% off, 75% bonus points, 70% bonus points, 40% off, and then down from there.

I don't remember what the discount was when I purchased the "top off" points that I needed for our trip, but I know that I needed about 3K points. On my budget spreadsheet, I have my airfare cost listed at $179.65 which includes EBCI and the fees. I was reimbursed for (2) of the EBCI since my SW Visa includes 2 Free EBCI per year so that is not included in that total. Overall, I think that paying under $200 for (2) people to fly from GRR to MCO in October is a pretty decent deal. By using points, I can cancel (or change) the flight without penalty up until 10 minutes before departure so it's almost like it is a "refundable" fare. The only downside is that my "cash" is tied up with Southwest. If SW cancels the flight, I get my points back, but they are useless to me if I have to rebook on another airline.

Question about changing CP - I know it says you can change it up to 3 times. Is that per calendar year? For example I earned CP last May? And it’s good thru 2022. I will definitely earn CP for 2023 but not until October or November. So I’m trying to figure out the best way to use or change CP to take a few mom and kid trips. So can I change it 3 times in 2022 still and then also change 3 times in 2023?

Question about changing CP - I know it says you can change it up to 3 times. Is that per calendar year? For example I earned CP last May? And it’s good thru 2022. I will definitely earn CP for 2023 but not until October or November. So I’m trying to figure out the best way to use or change CP to take a few mom and kid trips. So can I change it 3 times in 2022 still and then also change 3 times in 2023?
While you could also double verify this with SWA this is from their website:

1654978667223.png

OMG I just did my daily check to see if there is any change in my flights for Sept. 9/5-9/14...and WOW! My $59 flight from BWI to MCO is now $163 and my Business Select $133 fare from MCO to BWI is now $283!😲. I sure everybody who was planning on flying August-sept has already booked their flights!
oh I also just got an email from SWA celebrating their Birthday with a game to play...you push the button and a big “YOU LOST” pops up.....but I think I’ve already won by booking my flights when I did!

That can only be done as a cancel and a rebook. So your original flight money would likely go back as a flight credit, unless you booked a refundable type of fare.

I wouldn't bother unless the points/cash ratio really tips the scales. About 1.3 points per penny
Thank you so much for replying. I read it to be this way. I was hoping I was wrong.

Has anyone had their flights for Sept changed lately?? I feel that SW does these changes in waves and I haven't heard about any lately..maybe they're going to wait until the new schedule drop on the 16th??

:confused3

Has anyone had their flights for Sept changed lately?? I feel that SW does these changes in waves and I haven't heard about any lately..maybe they're going to wait until the new schedule drop on the 16th??

They do seem a little late in making the next batch of flight changes. Just last week they released a new fall sale for that time period, so maybe they are waiting to see the results of that before they adjust their schedule.

I’d like to make a change to my October flights, but won’t do so until after they make at least the first round of changes. No sense paying extra for something that will probably be changed anyway.

They do seem a little late in making the next batch of flight changes. Just last week they released a new fall sale for that time period, so maybe they are waiting to see the results of that before they adjust their schedule.

I’d like to make a change to my October flights, but won’t do so until after they make at least the first round of changes. No sense paying extra for something that will probably be changed anyway.

Shhhhh, don't remind them!!

I'm waiting on another round of possible changes for late August / early September but haven't seen anything recently.

southwest error.PNG
What does this mean? I'm trying to modify a flight online and keep getting this. Also, just found out that the app no longer works on my android phone. It worked fine in Jan. Silly me, I uninstalled it thinking a reinstall would fix it only to find out that the updated app will not work on my phone at all. Ugh!

Shhhhh, don't remind them!!

I'm waiting on another round of possible changes for late August / early September but haven't seen anything recently.
I've been checking our Aug flights 2-3 times a week so I can catch any changes. We only have a 45 min layover in BWI and I'm concerned that we'll either miss it or I won't be able to sit with my kids who are only 8. I'm planning on getting EBCI for the outbound flights, but haven't decided if I'll get it for the way home.

View attachment 675935
What does this mean? I'm trying to modify a flight online and keep getting this. Also, just found out that the app no longer works on my android phone. It worked fine in Jan. Silly me, I uninstalled it thinking a reinstall would fix it only to find out that the updated app will not work on my phone at all. Ugh!
Could be you typed in something wrong like the #0 instead of the letter O.

Yes, you got some good information from Mackenzie.

The issue with changing companion pass is you can only have one companion ticket booked at a time. So you can't have Susie have a companion trip in April and then try to book a trip in February with Bob as companion-- it will invalidate the first companion ticket. As long as you just want to book a few months in advance, you should be fine.

I've been checking our Aug flights 2-3 times a week so I can catch any changes. We only have a 45 min layover in BWI and I'm concerned that we'll either miss it or I won't be able to sit with my kids who are only 8. I'm planning on getting EBCI for the outbound flights, but haven't decided if I'll get it for the way home.
Ick, that is a tight layover! I'd be watching regularly, too.

So far, my summer flights have only been impacted by minor (under 15 minute) differences, but even 15 minutes matters a ton with a layover that short.

I've decided to be zen and just be OK with not sitting with my 8 year olds, if that's how things shake out. In May, I had each of their carry-ons packed so that they knew where everything was, just in case. It turned out to be unnecessary; both times, we got mid Bs by checking in right at 24 hours and sat together without a problem.

Thanks, but unfortunately it happens both when I click "change" from my reservation and when I type it in.
If you can't reach SW via your app, I've had really good luck chatting with an agent via FB messenger - or I've heard they're active on Twitter...

or I guess you have to call!

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter