• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

OK - finally booked! Lost the first flight I tried to book cuz it took so long to get our info in, luckily the website saved the info and was able to book our second choice - was shocked at how quickly things filled up!!

Same here! Cost me $30 extra to book because it took me so long to fill it out that price was gone, had to pick another. Grr. I thought it would hold the flights til you were done...

Tried but couldn't get it done. Couldn't figure out how to use travel credits on the SW app on my iPad. Had to go to safari on my iPad and the site wasn't very stable.

UGH!! That was the MOST aggravating experience! I have been up since 5 am, refreshing my screen until the flights finally came up. We had previously purchased our flights down from BDL to MCO at $139 pp (4 of us). Then the flights went down to $119 pp so we each had a $20 credit. So when I went on this am, we just needed our return flight on 4/17. I saw the 8:55pm non-stop for $249 pp and added 4 to my cart. Then I went through the whole process of adding everyone's names and RR numbers and added all the travel credits and my credit card. The stupid thing wouldn't process! It kept saying I have too many form of payment. So I called and was on hold for at least 30 minutes and I was totally stressing out so I decided to try to remove the travel credits and try to continue on the web site and ask on the phone for the funds to be credited (if they ever picked up!). By the time I removed all the travel credits, then it started saying that the flight I had in my cart wasn't available any longer…it had gone up to $289! GRRRRRRRRR! I was so mad and stressed at this point that not only wasn't I able to use the travel credits, I was going to have to pay $30 more pp!

Finally, the SW agent picked up and I started rambling on about all that had just happened. She was able to book 3 of our tickets at $249 and one at $289, and she applied all the travel credits. She told me after that I am only allowed to apply 3 travel credits per transaction but IT DOESN'T SAY THAT ANYWHERE ON THEIR WEB-SITE!! So stupid!

Anyway, I'm glad that's over with, but not very happy with the price and the aggravation it caused. In the end, I am paying an average of $378pp round trip. I REALLY need to stop going in April.

Well, I'm officially annoyed. Sat at my computer in the middle of the night for 45 minutes for no reason at all. The price for the days I could fly are way to expensive! Not at all cheaper than normal prices. And there are hardly any flight times... :headache:

Guess I'll have to look into another airline, but I'll be moving home from the DCP so I'll have tons of luggage, which is why I wanted Southwest...While, I'll have to save my researching for a time that is not 3:40am.

I have never found the best pricing on opening day. I waited about 2 months after they opened for Feb and got each flight $40 cheaper each way.

I have never found the best pricing on opening day. I waited about 2 months after they opened for Feb and got each flight $40 cheaper each way.
That is good to know.....will recheck pricing in Dec and Jan to see if we can drop our price. Thanks for the tip!

I waited one year and ended up paying $100 MORE per person. I learned my lesson and would never wait again, especially for April vacation from New England. Those airline seats are in demand and not likely to go down.

I am a newbie flying SW airlines......I am traveling solo and I have a 1 way going down to Orlando from Flint, MI on April 5, 2016...got a non-stop, good price for myself months ago....Just booked my return flight with one stop in Chicago Midway from Orlando back to Flint on April 12, 2016. Only had 2 outgoing flights that day so I did not want to take a chance of them being sold out:) I have never flown SouthWest and never have done 2 separate 1 way tickets before, so I am wondering how do I print out my boarding pass for my return flight back home??? I leave Orlando at 6:20 pm on April 12th...Any tips you can give me concerning flying with Southwest would be great!!!! Thanks:):)

Anytime I fly SW I purchse the early bird check in (ECBI). It is $12.50 a flight and they will automatically check you in to your flt at 36 hours not the normal 24 hours. This gives you a better position at the gate to board the plane and get your seat. It takes the worry out of remembering to check in while I am in Disney. typically it insures an "A" position but does not gaurantee it. You can print your boarding pass before the flight at the gate or if you have a smart phone I think you can use their app, which will show your boarding bar code to the attendant. When flying out of Orlando we always use a sky cap out on the sidewalk. Saves time and he prints your pass for you. I always tip of course.

Last edited:
thanks:) I did purchase the EBCI as I thought it might be of use and I see it will be :) Oh thanks for the sky cap tip!!! I never thought of using them and Orlando is such a big airport to maneuver in:) I will sure use them.

thanks:) I did purchase the EBCI as I thought it might be of use and I see it will be :) Oh thanks for the sky cap tip!!! I never thought of using them and Orlando is such a big airport to maneuver in:) I will sure use them.

For any Long Island folks going down in late April this year for the late Spring Break, found that SW had really good rates immediately upon releasing (129 pp), but they filled up QUICK and for a Sat-Sat trip all WGA fares are either gone or crazy high it looks like.

Shockingly, they reduced the number of Saturday direct return flights from Orlando in this booking window from the last. I noticed that in the weeks preceding the new dates, there are multiple afternoon/evening flights back from Orlando on Saturday nights. Can you believe there is no direct evening flight back on the Saturday's just released? How weird. I called even to confirm it wasn't a website glitch or something. Odd. We're flying back from Tampa now instead as I don't really feel like paying for the hotel night to have to fly back at 10 am or noon (which means you're just waking and leaving anyway).

If we are checking luggage we just wait in the SW line and print our passes there. The lines look crazy, but they usually move pretty quickly. If you don't need to check luggage and you have a smart phone, you can just use the boarding pass directly on the phone. It's super easy to do it that way.

For any Long Island folks going down in late April this year for the late Spring Break, found that SW had really good rates immediately upon releasing (129 pp), but they filled up QUICK and for a Sat-Sat trip all WGA fares are either gone or crazy high it looks like.

Shockingly, they reduced the number of Saturday direct return flights from Orlando in this booking window from the last. I noticed that in the weeks preceding the new dates, there are multiple afternoon/evening flights back from Orlando on Saturday nights. Can you believe there is no direct evening flight back on the Saturday's just released? How weird. I called even to confirm it wasn't a website glitch or something. Odd. We're flying back from Tampa now instead as I don't really feel like paying for the hotel night to have to fly back at 10 am or noon (which means you're just waking and leaving anyway).

It seems each time they release a new batch of fares...they reduce the number of flights in/out of ISP. It's gotten ridiculous. There are now less than 50% of the flights from a handful of years ago. So they all immediately fill up and/or sell out and the prices keep going through the roof.

She told me after that I am only allowed to apply 3 travel credits per transaction but IT DOESN'T SAY THAT ANYWHERE ON THEIR WEB-SITE!! So stupid!

Above the box where you apply travel funds it states the following:

Up to four of the following may also be applied in any combination: Southwest® gift cards, Southwest LUV Vouchers, leftover electronic ticket funds, and one Credit Card.

In your instance you can apply 3 travel funds and a credit card to pay the balance. If you had booked flights for 1 or 2 people at a time you would have been ok to do it over the phone. Also, sometimes there are only 1 or 2 seats left at a price. It can sometimes be best to just book 1 ticket a time for these reasons (as well as many others which I won't go into on this post).

Ugh!! Totally frustrated!! Needed 3 tickets for PWM to MCO on April 15th to return April 25th. THERE ARE NO "WANNA GET AWAY" fares for either day!!! WTH???!!!!! Anyone know why??

I agree SW has reduced the number of flights available, especially at certain times of the year. Nonstop options are limited, too. Some of the prices SW has to offer are competitive with other airlines that offer more service. I wonder if SW is getting too big for their britches.

Is there a way to find out how much you have in travel credits before booking a flight? I believe I have credits from 2 recent fare changes but I have no idea how much. Thanks.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge! I'm usually too much of a chicken to ask, but I'm in need of help!!
My son graduates the academy and we have just one shot of vacation time. The flights are so high and I've watched forever!! Can someone tell me how to sign up for a code or how you achieve them?? I have seven tickets I have to purchase and I can't do without some price break!! Timing is November 21. Thank you for any advice!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge! I'm usually too much of a chicken to ask, but I'm in need of help!!
My son graduates the academy and we have just one shot of vacation time. The flights are so high and I've watched forever!! Can someone tell me how to sign up for a code or how you achieve them?? I have seven tickets I have to purchase and I can't do without some price break!! Timing is November 21. Thank you for any advice!

Southwest has not issued any discount codes in a few years. I can only remember them issuing codes 2 or 3 times total in the past 5 years. The price you see online is the price you get, it will fluctuate up and down depending on demand, what day of the week you're looking, etc. If you have time your best bet to save money is to open a few Southwest credit cards with Chase: i.e. you and your spouse (if you have one) could each open the PLUS and PREMIERE card, spend $2,000 in the first 3 months and you earn 52,000 points per card which is worth roughly $800 in airfare based on how I value Southwest Points. If you opened 4 cards and did this you'd earn over $3,000 in free airfare and would be close to earning 2 companion passes which would get you 2 free tickets for companions anytime you both fly. See this post on million mile secrets for more details: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/02/20/a-step-by-step-guide-to-the-southwest-companion-pass/ Keep in mind that to do this with that many cards you would also have to spend $8,000 total on the credit cards within 3 months of opening then.

I know it sounds crazy but I've earned the CP this way...twice now! If you need a link to get the 50,000 bonus points respond back and I'll get you one.

Southwest has not issued any discount codes in a few years. I can only remember them issuing codes 2 or 3 times total in the past 5 years. The price you see online is the price you get, it will fluctuate up and down depending on demand, what day of the week you're looking, etc. If you have time your best bet to save money is to open a few Southwest credit cards with Chase: i.e. you and your spouse (if you have one) could each open the PLUS and PREMIERE card, spend $2,000 in the first 3 months and you earn 52,000 points per card which is worth roughly $800 in airfare based on how I value Southwest Points. If you opened 4 cards and did this you'd earn over $3,000 in free airfare and would be close to earning 2 companion passes which would get you 2 free tickets for companions anytime you both fly. See this post on million mile secrets for more details: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/02/20/a-step-by-step-guide-to-the-southwest-companion-pass/ Keep in mind that to do this with that many cards you would also have to spend $8,000 total on the credit cards within 3 months of opening then.

I know it sounds crazy but I've earned the CP this way...twice now! If you need a link to get the 50,000 bonus points respond back and I'll get you one.

Thank you so much SouthFayetteFan! I so appreciate you taking the time to post and explain! I had a link, if it doesn't work, I'll get back to you! Thank you again. I won't have time for this trip, but I can use for future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter