Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I would love to buy our tickets for $79, but it's just going to be me with my 5 and 8 year olds. Is there a chance we could separated all over the plane? I could check in 24 hours in advance with no problem, but do they help keep kids with their parent(s)?

I would love to buy our tickets for $79, but it's just going to be me with my 5 and 8 year olds. Is there a chance we could separated all over the plane? I could check in 24 hours in advance with no problem, but do they help keep kids with their parent(s)?

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've never been separated from my family. Now we've never had really late boarding pass numbers either. I've only once ever had a "B." Now that there's Early Bird Checkin, I pay for that to ensure we get an earlier boarding pass, but before that I just always made sure to check in at exactly 24 hours.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've never been separated from my family. Now we've never had really late boarding pass numbers either. I've only once ever had a "B." Now that there's Early Bird Checkin, I pay for that to ensure we get an earlier boarding pass, but before that I just always made sure to check in at exactly 24 hours.

So, I better pay to check in earlier? Do most people do this? We are only 535 miles and usually drive, but I would love to be there in 1.5 hours instead of 8 hours!!

So, I better pay to check in earlier? Do most people do this? We are only 535 miles and usually drive, but I would love to be there in 1.5 hours instead of 8 hours!!

I do because I don't want to take any chances of being separated and even though I've always been able to check in at 24 hour mark, I worry that my Internet will be down or something else will keep me away at the last minute. For the extra $$, I can ensure that I am checked in (and I love it for the return flight as I don't have to even think about it while on vacation until it's time to go)

"do they help keep kids with their parent(s)?"

Not really, with open seating, YOU choose where you want to sit. You should have no problem getting three seats next to each other, although it could be across an aisle. Your eight year old may even want to sit by themselves next to a window. Most people would not want a five year old sitting next to them in the middle seat, and would be glad to move elsewhere.

Not really, with open seating, YOU choose where you want to sit. You should have no problem getting three seats next to each other, although it could be across an aisle. Your eight year old may even want to sit by themselves next to a window. Most people would not want a five year old sitting next to them in the middle seat, and would be glad to move elsewhere.

I've been on a couple flights where the flight attendants were really forceful when "helping" families stay together. I've also been on flights when they make one announcement and if no one got up, it was tough luck to the family. So I think it just depends on the flight attendants and their mood for the day.

Remember you can also check in using your phone. I'd rather use the $$ for something fun. BTW Southwest is now offering early boarding in Group A 1 thru 15 for $40 at the gate, regardless of your boarding pass.

This was my thought also.

I guess I should just pay the extra fee.

You will be fine. Go on 24 hrs before. I do it all the time. All 4 or 6 of us get seats together. We have been assigned B15.....and still got all together. It's easy. :thumbsup2

You will be fine. Go on 24 hrs before. I do it all the time. All 4 or 6 of us get seats together. We have been assigned B15.....and still got all together. It's easy. :thumbsup2

I don't want to discourage the poster asking if she would be separated from her children, but we just flew to Orlando last week and signed on at 24 hrs. We got B3. The family boarding was 25 deep. We got on at B3,4,5 and could not sit together. Now I will say there definitely was grandparents, uncles and such boarding with families and the agent should not have allowed that. I was ticked. So I learned my lesson that if I want to be guaranteed a seat with three in a row I better pay for the Early bird. It will be 60 well spent. Orlando generally has large family boardings between the A and B section. Just my recent experience to share.

I don't want to discourage the poster asking if she would be separated from her children, but we just flew to Orlando last week and signed on at 24 hrs. We got B3. The family boarding was 25 deep. We got on at B3,4,5 and could not sit together. Now I will say there definitely was grandparents, uncles and such boarding with families and the agent should not have allowed that. I was ticked. So I learned my lesson that if I want to be guaranteed a seat with three in a row I better pay for the Early bird. It will be 60 well spent. Orlando generally has large family boardings between the A and B section. Just my recent experience to share.

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. If everyone pays the extra $ for early boarding, who gets the priority?
Maybe we should stick to driving, I don't think it's worth stressing over this for the next 4 months!!

Thanks, that's what I was worried about. If everyone pays the extra $ for early boarding, who gets the priority?
Maybe we should stick to driving, I don't think it's worth stressing over this for the next 4 months!!

Mama Moose I really didn't want to discourage you because every flight I have been on it has been fine even boarding in the B's. Clearly this was a instance that people were abusing the system in the family boarding. The priority of the assignments of the early bird is in order of when you booked your early bird. So if you booked a flight on the first day those flights were available and paid early bird on that day you would be mostly like first in the A section. Does that make sense??

Mama Moose I really didn't want to discourage you because every flight I have been on it has been fine even boarding in the B's. Clearly this was a instance that people were abusing the system in the family boarding. The priority of the assignments of the early bird is in order of when you booked your early bird. So if you booked a flight on the first day those flights were available and paid early bird on that day you would be mostly like first in the A section. Does that make sense??

Like I said it is easy..please dont worry. I have paid only once one way and we got early B's. I wouldnt do it again..not worth it for me. I only did it because we were coming from a cruise and didnt want to have someone TRY to remember to do it for me. It will be fine. I have flown SW tons of times with my kids! :thumbsup2

Like I said it is easy..please dont worry. I have paid only once one way and we got early B's. I wouldnt do it again..not worth it for me. I only did it because we were coming from a cruise and didnt want to have someone TRY to remember to do it for me. It will be fine. I have flown SW tons of times with my kids! :thumbsup2

I agree it is easy usually! I would have been very mad if I had paid for and gotten the B pass and they let families board prior to my paid B number. I really don't mind families of small children being able to sit together but when people go to Disney they tend to have everyone (aunts grandparents, etc)in that line and the SWA rep should not allow that. We had a bad experience last week because clearly there was only two babies and one child in that line of 25 people. Everyone was groaning. But usually that is not the case.

This discussion reminds me of flights I have been on where the kids are seated in coach and Mom and Dad are up in first class!

MamaM - I agree with the other posters, do not stress about where you will be seated. It is very rare that a small family of three would be separated, regardless of your boarding pass number.

My outgoing flight is now available for a great price (under $160 from so cal in June) but my return flight is still high, over $200...anyone booked one way tickets for their outgoing and return flights? I'd love to hear the southwest experts' opinions!

My outgoing flight is now available for a great price (under $160 from so cal in June) but my return flight is still high, over $200...anyone booked one way tickets for their outgoing and return flights? I'd love to hear the southwest experts' opinions!

Done it many times as I have flown into/out of separate cities.

Yep do it all the time! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! Still thinking over whether or not to fly, $79 is really tempting!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter