• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possibly stupidest question ever...

mrsjoannh13

DIS Veteran
So this is DD's first trip to Disney. We are going in November. I've started looking at Etsy for a couple of custom shirts - you know... my first trip, my birthday - those embroidered ones.

Anyway, here's the stupid part. Other than paying $25 per shirt for shirts that may only be worn once...

I am having a mental debate with myself about whether I should order short sleeve or long sleeve. On one hand, it's mid-November. I know it's Florida but in the evenings and early morning hours it's conceivable that the weather will be a little chilly. On the other hand.... it's Florida. So... could also be extremely warm.

What would you do? Go with long sleeve assuming she won't burn to a crisp? Or order short sleeve and if it's cold just throw a coat on her and take it off for photos?

Short sleeve. You can layer a thermal long sleeve shirt under it when you dress her in the morning and take it off when it gets warm mid-day. Keep it in your park bag and it goes back on her at night when the temp drops. And as far as paying $25 you could find shops on etsy that sell the vinyl iron-ons for as low as $5 a piece. They're easy to do yourself and come with instructions.

Not to mention with the iron-ons you also get to choose your style of shirt, everyone isn't always looking for a basic white crew neck, or even use them on a tote or hooded sweatshirt without paying twice as much!

You can also get some really great designs free right here on the Dis! If you go to the creative disigns board, there are lots of great designers who will customize designs for free. You buy transfer paper, print, iron on....done!

I agree with short sleeves and layer! I just went through the same debate of paying $25 a shirt or not (I paid less than that though, there's a ton of sellers and some have coupons or sales), especially since I have the capability to make my own iron ons. But let me tell you... I made my own shirts last year...and maybe it's bc I'm a perfectionist but it's not an easy task. I made my own iron ons, ironed them on, and then stitched them on so they were embroidered on. And it took forever!! Now if you're an experienced crafter and sewer then it might be easy for you. But don't forget that time is money and it takes time to do these shirt! PLUS it was worth it to pay for me bc I can't do the monograming/personalized stitched saying or names.

Most of the people on etsy have the crazy expensive sewing machines that are computer programed so they do the stitching beautifully! So I'm just saying: sometimes it's worth the splurge to not have the stress of messing the shirts up, going to the store to replace supplies if you do mess up, stress about getting it done in time, etc etc. And I think a that a $25 personalized disney shirt isn't bad especially if you think about how much one would cost in the park, now that would be an up-charge if they sold them!

Why not buy them a little big and be able to wear them a multiple times! For me I bought a birthday personalized shirt off etsy and had my son wear it at disney and then at school for his birthday! :cake:

Absolutely agree with the others to do short sleeve shirts and layer with a long sleeved shirt if needed! November weather can vary greatly. I have gotten pretty cheap plain colored long sleeved shirts from Academy for myself and from Target for DS. I usually get him a few white and black ones to layer with during the fall and winter anyway. He has so many t-shirts, and can continue to wear them during the cooler months instead of having to buy him a bunch of new long sleeved shirts.

Short sleeves. If it's cold you can wear a long sleeve underneath. I'm debating getting the same thing - my problem is I can't decide what color t-shirt!

So this is DD's first trip to Disney. We are going in November. I've started looking at Etsy for a couple of custom shirts - you know... my first trip, my birthday - those embroidered ones.

Anyway, here's the stupid part. Other than paying $25 per shirt for shirts that may only be worn once...

I am having a mental debate with myself about whether I should order short sleeve or long sleeve. On one hand, it's mid-November. I know it's Florida but in the evenings and early morning hours it's conceivable that the weather will be a little chilly. On the other hand.... it's Florida. So... could also be extremely warm.

What would you do? Go with long sleeve assuming she won't burn to a crisp? Or order short sleeve and if it's cold just throw a coat on her and take it off for photos?

Short Sleeved
I was disappointed not seeing any stupid part with the question.

I agree with everyone else, short sleeve and layer with long sleeve tee, cardigan or fleece depending on the weather. Have a great time !

I originally made my own by downloading designs from etsy to transfer paper. But after one wash they were ruined. After spending almost $10 a shirt that way, I ended up buying some better made ones that were embroidered. There are lots of places you could try to resell after your trip too, to make back some of the money.

short sleeves. We went over Thanksgiving a few years ago. We NEEDED short sleeves during the day that year. We would have melted in long sleeves.

This is something I'm currently working through myself. I went back and forth with myself on getting embroidered shirts done or just doing the transfers. I finally decided on the embroidered shirts. Here are my reasons:

1- I have worked with transfers and honestly, I don't like them. To me, they look kind of like plastic and that just bothers me.
2- Also, transfers just don't hold up as well and there is a large chance that my kids will wear most of the shirts more than just at Disney (there are a bunch of Mickey heads that I really like and they aren't "first time to Disney" specific).
3- I make quilts and I would really like to make quilts for each of my kids from those shirts. The transfers won't work with that.
4- biggest deciding factor for me was that I happen to have a friend who has one of these machines. I'm going pay her the cost for the files and her time to make the shirts. I found the shirts on sale at AC Moore and then happened to come across a sweet 20% off entire purchase coupon.

I completely understand why the embroidered shirts cost what they do on Etsy. Those computerized machines are expensive (we're talking thousands of dollars)! They also use crazy amounts of thread and even tho they are computerized and run themselves, the person doing the shifts can't completely walk from the machine for too long. Anyways, perhaps ask around the area you live in to see if you can find someone who has one of these machines. They may be willing to do the work for you for less than what the people on Etsy are charging. I have found the downloadable files for these shirts on Etsy for under $5. It's worth a try, right?

This is something I'm currently working through myself. I went back and forth with myself on getting embroidered shirts done or just doing the transfers. I finally decided on the embroidered shirts. Here are my reasons:

1- I have worked with transfers and honestly, I don't like them. To me, they look kind of like plastic and that just bothers me.
2- Also, transfers just don't hold up as well and there is a large chance that my kids will wear most of the shirts more than just at Disney (there are a bunch of Mickey heads that I really like and they aren't "first time to Disney" specific).
3- I make quilts and I would really like to make quilts for each of my kids from those shirts. The transfers won't work with that.
4- biggest deciding factor for me was that I happen to have a friend who has one of these machines. I'm going pay her the cost for the files and her time to make the shirts. I found the shirts on sale at AC Moore and then happened to come across a sweet 20% off entire purchase coupon.

I completely understand why the embroidered shirts cost what they do on Etsy. Those computerized machines are expensive (we're talking thousands of dollars)! They also use crazy amounts of thread and even tho they are computerized and run themselves, the person doing the shifts can't completely walk from the machine for too long. Anyways, perhaps ask around the area you live in to see if you can find someone who has one of these machines. They may be willing to do the work for you for less than what the people on Etsy are charging. I have found the downloadable files for these shirts on Etsy for under $5. It's worth a try, right?

Glad you understand it is work! Doing embroidery the right way is NOT cheap and VERY time consuming. The design is only the beginning of the cost threads, stabilizers, iron on for backs of applique fabric if its done right, blanks, lots of tools, very expensive machines, and much much more plus TIME. I would know it is what I do. Most shirts from start to finish take anywhere from 1 1/2 - 3 hours (some less if they are very basic) depending on how elaborate they are plus there is so much prep work involved and lots of supplies listed some above. I consider most etsy shops selling themselves short for their time and supplies. Many however do not put in the time, supplies, and effort that we do though. I work hard to make sure everything is perfect. Pictured is my daughter's dress we made for her very 1st day at WDW you most likely do NOT want to know the price for us making another one.

Attachments

• IMG_2844.JPG
    IMG_2844.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter