Possible Split Stay Solo (CBR/POR/AKL) before staying with my parents at CR...

dreamseeker9

DIS Veteran
My annual pass expires at the end of this September, and my parents' Florida resident seasonal passes expire at the same time. So we are planning a trip for mid-September. My parents, living in Florida and being in their late 60s, enjoy taking in WDW just a couple nights at a time. They've determined that it's worth it to them to spend a little more for more convenience to the parks (and we are hoping for AP room discounts), so we've decided to stay at the Contemporary - the 3 of us will share a garden view room for 2 nights. But before they arrive, I plan to spend 4 nights at the World solo and make this a week's vacation!

I'm considering the following resorts, partly because I've never stayed in them before, and partly because they are in different park areas than the Contemporary - the CBR, POR, and AKL. I'm also debating if it's worth it to do a split stay - either CBR or POR for the first 2 nights, then AKL for the next 2 nights.

I really like the look of CBR, though the boat between Disney Springs and POR is appealing. I stayed at POFQ in 2000 and remember really enjoying the boat ride.

If I do a split stay, I'll stay in a standard room at CBR or POR, then a savanna view at AKL (or a Jambo House or Kidani Village studio with savanna view - all are close to the same price). The split stay is comparable in price to 4 nights at AKL with a standard view, or Jambo House with a value studio. I really love the AKL. I've only visited the resort and have dined at Sanaa twice - I loved the food. I really want to try Boma and Jiko, but it doesn't have to happen this trip. However, I also have a TIW card that expires, so I'd like to use it at some signature restaurants and take advantage of that 20% discount!

What would you do? Will 3 hotels in 6 nights be too much? It will just be me for the first 4 nights, so packing and transferring hotels isn't a problem, though I can see the appeal of unpacking and settling in for 4 nights at AKL. But will I regret staying at the AKL and not having a savanna view?

But will I regret staying at the AKL and not having a savanna view?

Some may differ, but I dont think you will regret it at all. It is a beautiful resort and there are plenty of places to view the animals if you get a bummer view. But, there are LOTS of standard view rooms that have pretty decent views. We got one on the third floor, close to the lobby, and the giraffes were gathered outside our window every night. I think it was standard because you were looking into a pen area and it was kind of at a corner, so it was less than ideal view. But we loved it and the price was right! Maybe use Touringplans to request a room? We just asked for "near lobby" and I picked the trail on the online check in, and both were honored.

Some may differ, but I dont think you will regret it at all. It is a beautiful resort and there are plenty of places to view the animals if you get a bummer view.

I agree! We haven't stayed standard view but have stayed pool and savanna view and while the savanna view was nice, I loved our pool view just as much. Having a savanna view isn't a necessity for us and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at AKL again without it.

Thanks! I am leaning toward the 4 nights at AKL, and it's great to hear that a standard view could also have animals! I'll go read more over at the AKL thread, and also decide if I want a standard room, studio at Jambo House, or studio at Kidani Village - they're all about the same price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter