possible problems when renting points

sjleyoung

Earning My Ears
I am in the process of renting points from a DVC member. I called member services and the reservation is complete under my name. My only concern is this; the member is forwarding me the paperwork and upon my approval I am to send her payment. According to member services the member can change the reservation made in my name at any time because they own the points. What guarantee do I have once I pay for the points that th reservation will remain unchanged?

Thanks for the input this is our first trip with two small daughters and I would hate for anything to go wrong.

Originally posted by sjleyoung
What guarantee do I have once I pay for the points that th reservation will remain unchanged?

You don't. That is why the element of trust is crucial to the rental process. The likelihood that someone is trying to hoodwink you is very low. However, since these are person-to-person transactions, there can't be a guarantee. The owner always owns the points and is the only one who can deal with MS to make changes. I wouldn't be overly concerned but it is the reality.

I agree with PamOKW that the liklihood of anything happening is low. Do you have a contract with this person? I would also recommend you check references if this person has rented points before.

I would do a contract and try and have references

Not sure how you were able to call MS since that is for members only unless you were on a conference call with the member and MS at the same time

thanks
jaysue

Originally posted by jaysue
I would do a contract and try and have references

Not sure how you were able to call MS since that is for members only unless you were on a conference call with the member and MS at the same time

thanks
jaysue

Is this just a theory here on this board or is it fact. Because when I first rented points, I received the reservation number from the owner of the points, I just called Ms and they confirmed it. No problems.

As long as the renter has the confirmation number, they can get confirmation of the reservation from MS without a member number. I've rented a few times and all the renters were able to do this.

I'm surprised they gave you any information. The first thing they ask me when I call is what is my member number and then the last four digits of my Social Security Number. Member Services always insists upon this before they will give out ANY information about my points.

but if you call and explain that you are renting points, that you want to confirm that the reservation is in your name, you just give them the confirmation number and they will verify it, and even add requests to the reservation, but they won't give you information on the owner or point info. At least this was the case in November of 2002.

Back to the original question--you can pay thru PayPal rather than thru a check. If you use your credit card to pay, and you should get burned, your credit card company can do a chargeback so you have your money returned. PayPal also keeps track of people who use their service, so you may be renting from someone who deals in an honest manner and PayPal can let you know that they have had positive feedback on that person. I would NOT deal with someone who wants a check in full all at once. That's just me--I am not very trusting. I would prefer paying a little at a time, doing emails back and forth to gain some trust in the person who is renting to you.

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
Back to the original question--you can pay thru PayPal rather than thru a check. If you use your credit card to pay, and you should get burned, your credit card company can do a chargeback so you have your money returned. PayPal also keeps track of people who use their service, so you may be renting from someone who deals in an honest manner and PayPal can let you know that they have had positive feedback on that person. I would NOT deal with someone who wants a check in full all at once. That's just me--I am not very trusting. I would prefer paying a little at a time, doing emails back and forth to gain some trust in the person who is renting to you.
YOu can pay through paypal if the other person is a member with a business account. There is a fee and I'd expect the renter to pay any extra fees. Also, you couldn't do a charge back as your dealings would be with Paypal and you'd only have recourse if they didn't uphold their end. This would not help you for the final destination of the funds. Paypal will cancel your account if you do a charge back from what I'm told. In the end it comes down to trust and that's true even with references and a contract. The ONLY advantage to a contract is to make sure both parties understand the ground rules, nothing more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter