Possible need for medical attention for DS5 while on vacation.

AliOops

Earning My Ears
We will be travelling to Orlando for 3 weeks in April and May. In the last couple of months our DS5 has had some medical issues arise. Our doctors have said that there "should" be no issues and to go on our trip as planned but I would feel comfortable with a back up plan if neccesary. We do have medical travel insurance that will cover expenses so that's not an issue. Has anyone had any experiences with medical facilities in the Orlando and surrounding area specifically. Does anyone have any suggestions if the need arises to visit a medical clinic or hospital as to a good location to go that deals well with non-US citizens? We have a rental car so driving somewhere is not an issue. I'm not talking about emergency services, more along the lines of a doctor check up if something seems off. Thanks:goodvibes

Well in the past we have seen the registered nurse at Walgreens. Sounds weird but it was $60 for the visit, and we got in right away. I had a major ear infection and sinus infection (it was weird we all got ear infections while there and not one since that trip in 2008) and could not take the pain anymore.

They were great, just like any doctor, as the nurse usually does the initial assessment and tells the doctor and has it confirmed we skipped the doctor step. She was able to prescribe meds, and we were off in a bout a hour. When we got home submitted the claim and were re-embursed it was pretty simple

It really depends on the type of travel medical insurance that you have. I would double check that your son's pre-existing medical condition is covered, first. Some insurance policies exclude these. I would also check with the insurance company regarding their policy on which medical facility you visit. Many of them want you to phone their 1-800 number first so that they can direct you to a facility where they can arrange for billing directly to the insurance company. Of course this isn't required for a life threatening emergency, but can save you money headaches in the long run.

If you choose instead to select your own facility, and you are staying at a Disney resort, then go to the front desk (don't phone from your room- your call goes to a call center) and ask where the nearest hospital/ walk-in center is. They can even help you with transportation there and back if necessary.

We've used Centracare (sp?) twice. Go to the front desk of your resort and they will have a list of centracare locations. Call the number on the pamphlet and a doctor will make a visit to your hotel room (extra charge) or they will pick you up and take you to the closest clinic. The one we went to was just outside of DTD.
Make an appointment online or you will wait a loooooonnnnnngggg time.
Our daughter got a throat infection on one trip and we got antibiotics.

Another time our son got VERY ill and we took him to cetracare. They immediately sent us to Celebration hospital by ambulance, and they sent us to the children's hospital by another ambulance after several hours. It had initially looked like the stomach flu but was an infected appendix:sad2:

Our insurance was fabulous and saved us close to 18000 dollars for that overnight and the CT scans and treatment.

EXACTLY one year later on the last day of the next Disney trip he once again got the "stomach flu". We were home before it became apparent it was his appendix and it ruptured.:sad2: We had Emergency surgery in Canada the night after we got home and spent 10 days in the hospital.

Had we still been in the States, I am positive they would have said it was a pre-existing condition. That first insurance claim they went through all of our medical records to make sure it wasn't. You have to sign the releases to let them look at your medical records if you want to be covered.

I tell you this because I guarantee you.. if they can determine it was pre-existing, you will be denied your claim.
In our case he had never ever had an issue like this and then did on not one but TWO WDW trips. It had to be related to not eating/drinking his normal diet and getting run down but I'll never know for sure.
We also had to sign releases to allow them to look into dd's medical records for her throat infection when we filed the claim.

We will be travelling to Orlando for 3 weeks in April and May. In the last couple of months our DS5 has had some medical issues arise. Our doctors have said that there "should" be no issues and to go on our trip as planned but I would feel comfortable with a back up plan if neccesary. We do have medical travel insurance that will cover expenses so that's not an issue. Has anyone had any experiences with medical facilities in the Orlando and surrounding area specifically. Does anyone have any suggestions if the need arises to visit a medical clinic or hospital as to a good location to go that deals well with non-US citizens? We have a rental car so driving somewhere is not an issue. I'm not talking about emergency services, more along the lines of a doctor check up if something seems off. Thanks:goodvibes

Was article in allears.net on this recently and seems to me any first aid staion in the parks will be sure you get the help one needs for medical care as well as any resort will be sure you do

In 2010, eldest DD needed to see a doctor while we were visiting WDW for the first time. We went to a walk in clinic in Celebration, (I can't remember the name) . Our insurance gave me the name when I called the 1-800 number, but when we arrived they told us they required full payment and did not bill the insurance.

That was fine with me as I just wanted her seen by a dr. After we got home we filed all the papers with the insurance co. and OHIP. I had to get OHIP to pay their share and then filed the rest with insurance. We got the remainder back about 3 months later. Hope that helps.:)

We have used medical services at DW three times in the past twenty years.

First time DD was 6 and got the chicken pox. I mean in her ears, eyes, everywhere. We had insurance through the CAA and they sent us to the clinic near DTD. They did not take the insurance and we had to pay and get reimbursed.

Second time DD was 14 and she got Norwalk virus. We had RBC insurance and they initially wanted to send us to the Florida Hospital. I explained that it was about 45 minutes away(I-4 was under major construction). I asked about the hospital in Celebration and she checked it was on the list, but she thought it was far away in another city. I told her we were two miles away. We went and they billed the insurance directly. We got a copy of the bill after we got home for our info. $2500. for 5 hours in the ER, 2 IVs, some blood work, and potasium pills. The service was amazing and she was so sick I would have paid.

This past Christmas DD boyfriend got an ear infection then a chest infection. Sun Life insurance wanted to send him to a clinic on Vineland and we asked the hotel manager where it was. She said not to go there and recommended the Urgent Care Clinic on 192, east of Old Town. They use it for Worker's Comp claims and it is run by the Florida Hospital. Called the insurance back, put on hold, they called the clinic and said it was a go. Insurance paid directly. The first clinic we were going to have to pay and file a claim. He seen the doctor for all of 3 minutes got antibiotics and a steroid and off we went. He got a copy of the bill and medical record to take home. I heard a gasp in the back seat. He was shocked that the cost was $328.00. Now he knows to never travel without medical insurance.

I would be extremely careful about pre-existing conditions. I have heard horror stories. I have not had a problem, nor been asked for access to medical records but I know they can. We currently supplement our Sun Life with Medipac and we have to list all medications we take, when we had our last check up etc.

Hopefully you won't need to use the services but I do know that when we have had to we have been seen promptly and been very pleased. We travel with antibiotics in case of sinus infections that I get regularly if I get a cold.

Nepean

I just read the article about the BC couple and the comments on the article. WOW!! I know that I need to be careful about the medical questions but I can see how his heart issue was probably not related to his previous cancer. He unfortunately determinted on his own that the bleeding was solved but he should have reported it. I know that I have to report each and every medication we take. I also list any antibiotics that we have taken in the past year. They even list my DD birth control pills.

The fact that the hospital lowered his bill so quickly does not surprise me. In fact I am certain that the insurance company negotiates the rates they pay to hospitals in the US. That is why they send to you to particular ones.

If I was that guy I would talke to my doctors and if confirmed that the heart issue is no way related I would then call a lawyer. He also needs to get a lot of press involved.

Nepean

We have had the need to seek medical care on a couple of occasions while at WDW and each time gone to Celebration Hospital. They are amazing...last time was me with a torn meniscus and I was in for Ultrasound and Xray within 7-8 minutes of hobbling in the door.

When I left...they said if I paid the bill there and then they would reduce 50% off of the Hospital (not the Dr's portion) part of the bill so I called the insurance and asked what to do?? They said it wasn't necessary but if I did they would send me a cheque within the week which they did ..and I got a few thousand aeroplan points using my credit card! Simple..

:)

We were in Orlando at the beginning of March. I had to take my 7 month old grandson to the hospital at 230 am due to breathing difficulties. We obtained Blue Cross through CAA. We called the number before we left for the hospital. They gave as an account number. When we got to the hospital, we registered, after we went through more seurity than most airports have, and handed them the account number. Later, when we were waiting for the xray results, a clerk came into our room, called the Blue Cross number, talked to the representative, hung up, thanked us, wished us well and left. That was it. No hassles, no request for up front payment, nothing. We took the two perscriptions, and were back at the hotel by 5am. At home, we would have sat for atleast 5 hours just to have a first visit by the doctor.
We used Dr Phillip Hospital. It is off Turkey Lake Road, I beleive. DTD area, behind Palm Parkway. We stayed at the Clarion Inn LBV on Palm Parkway.
Now I have coverage through my work, but we have always gotten Blue Cross. It is more widely known and for the cost, I dont mind being double protected.

Last time we were there (18 months ago) my wife needed to see a doctor while staying at WDW. We called the insurance company and they gave us the option of going to Celebration Hospital where she'd be seen within the hour, or if she could wait a few hours a doctor would come to our hotel. She chose the latter and the doctor came right to All Star Music. The hotel had a small room by the check-in where she could meet with the doctor without disturbing our sleeping kids.

The doctor make sure he worded the report so it wouldn't have be able to be construed as a pre-existing condition.

All around a great experience.

Talk to your doctor BEFORE seeking travel medical insurance so that you're informed. Ask questions about what's in your file, why it's there, what's changed recently, etc. Ask for names of medical conditions, not laymans terms. Write the info down. Have your doc provide you with a copy of your file. Ask the doc to fill out the questionnaire on your behalf.

Almost ALL insurance policies have pre-existing conditions exclusions but remember that stable pre-existing conditions may be covered. You'd have to read the policy to find out what "stable" means in terms of your condition. And that's another thing. Don't buy insurance and just cross your fingers that you have coverage for everything. Know what you're buying. READ the policy. You're basically buying a book of words and rules.

PS Some of the recent media exposure over insurance companies is really over the top. Do yourself a favor and call a licensed Broker for advice and options. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter