Possible move to Akron, Ohio

patsfaninpa5

Earning My Ears
Does any one live near Akron or have information about this area? There is a possibility that I could be moving there and wanted to get any information about the area, schools, etc.
Thanks,
Jen

I do! Just let me know what questions you have. I'm holding sleeping DS right now, but later I'll try to give you some general information.

I lived in Canton for 30 years and drove to Akron 5 years to attend college at the Univ. of Akron.

As with all areas, many areas are nice, others are downright scary. The northern suburbs of Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Hudson are nicer. Not knowing the area, I would stay out of the city limits, although there are pockets of nice housing inside the city.

I currently live in Kent, which is about a 15 minute drive to Akron. I lived in Akron for a few years after my oldest was born. My biggest issue with Akron is the schools, they are, umm, not the best. We had a lovely house in a nice older neighborhood (Firestone Park) that was very reasonably priced. If we had stayed there I planned on sending the kids to a private school. My ex-DH & I decided to move before the kids started school.

If you want to post some additional info I would be happy to answer any questions (and I'm sure others would too). Why are you thinking about moving? Do you have any housing requirements? Do you need an okay school district or the best? How far away from Akron are you willing to live? Is being near the freeway important? Etc.

http://www.co.summit.oh.us/ Here is the link to Summit County, where Akron is.
http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/ and Akron's website.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron,_Ohio and the Wiki (I love wikipedia).

Wow that's funny to see that title of the thread on the Dis! I lived in Akron for 25 years, still have family there in the burbs. Definetely stick to the areas Belle mentioned, or if you want to go a little south down 77 check out the city of Green.

Really Akron isn't so bad, well except the schools, but the University is good and they have their own little minor league baseball team the Aero's and we're only an hour away from Cleveland. Hopefully you have a job your transferring with because I don't know how good the employment opportunities are here unless you're in the medical profession. All the rubber companies have pretty much up and left. Goodyear is still here but they're a little shakey right now.

Well, I live about an hour away from Akron, and from what I see on the news.....I would never live there! Everyday on the news there are reports of major crimes happening there. You hear more about the crime in Akron than you do about Cleveland anymore! You used to never hear about Akron. But, on the plus side, if you are looking to buy a house cheap you'll find plenty there. Foreclosures are the highest in Ohio. There are tons of bank owned properties now. Probably because there aren't any jobs!

I pretty much agree with everything that's been written so far. I grew up in Akron, and now live in Munroe Falls, about 10 minutes away. The schools aren't good. I went to Akron schools until 10th grade when we moved to Stow. I was in Honors classes in Akron, but when we moved to Stow I was very behind, even with College Prep courses. There are some pretty good private schools. The job market isn't good at all either.

But if you're just looking to move to the area, not necessarily Akron itself, there are some great areas. As already mentioned, there is Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Munroe Falls, Hudson, Tallmadge, Green. They're all very close to Akron but pretty nice. If you have to have an Akron mailing address, I'd say Portage Lakes is pretty good.

There are some great parks around here that are so beautiful. There are so many walking trails. What else? Umm...The art museum, the inventors hall of fame. Akron U and Kent State are very close.

It's not the worst area, but as we've all pretty much said, not the most desirable either. And if home prices are an issue, while the houses are less expensive, you can get a pretty good deal in Cuyahoga Falls.

If you have any specific questions, let us know!

Thanks so much everyone for all the great replies. Very good information. I am in the medical field and I would be possibly moving for my husband.
Thanks again.
Jen

Wonderful Healthfood restaurant and store called "The Mustard Seed!"

Thanks so much everyone for all the great replies. Very good information. I am in the medical field and I would be possibly moving for my husband.
Thanks again.
Jen

Depending on your exact position, there are many jobs available in the healthcare field. I work in physical therapy and every hospital and clinic is hiring constantly. Depending on where you live now, you could be looking at a nice pay increase. I moved from another part of Ohio and there was a pleasant difference in pay. You can PM me about specific hospitals etc. since I deal with most of them or know someone who works there. If you have children, the suburbs will offer some of the best school districts in the state and even the country. Housing market is in a slump so you may snatch a bargain, I know we did and have great equity built in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter