Possible cancellation worries

sarahandgreg

Mouseketeer
Hi

Booked on the Dream on July 15th for a 4 night cruise, got 2 rooms (4 people in total ) and have paid the insurance through Disney.
MIL is terminally ill and could deteriorate rapidly so there is a possibility that SIL and nephew either wont be able to come or nephew may come on his own so therefore will either be single occupancy in the second room or no-one at all in second room - even worse we may all have to cancel if funeral is during that time. Also at the moment the rooms are set up so me and SIL are in one and Husband and nephew in the other - we did this because of possible FL resident rates becoming available.
So my question/s is/are this:

If SIL does not come - when should I tell Disney about the single occupancy and will we get a credit or refund for her fare?
If SIL and nephew don't come so therefore only now 1 room( as hubby and I will revert back to same room) instead of two will we get a refund for the second room?
If none of us go - will we get a full refund.

Obviously these changes are because of MIL health situation - likely passing away and not just a change of mind.
Not sure how to go about this procedure as we wont know for sure until possibly day of cruse.... :-(

Sorry to read this best advice is to call DCL now to discuss the options and what the insurance will cover. You are in cancellation/ penalty time line so would loose money on the cruise.

First, may I say how sorry I am for you and your family. Hang in there. I agree, call and see what your options are, but don't cancel yet, you do not know what is going to happen yet. This is only a few weeks away and unless you have a magical magic eight ball, worrying yourself over the might happens is no fun. Get your information, maybe put a plan in place and have everyone decide what is going to happen in a worst case scenario. The best advice ever given to me, is after you have said your goodbyes/I love yous, there is really nothing more you can do to extend a persons life, so live yours. Thoughts and prayers with you in this time. Everything will turn out the way it is supposed to.

I'm so sorry to hear that your family is going through this.

You definitely want to read the travel protection plan you purchased from DCL. Just glancing at it, it looks like a cancellation due to a life threatening illness of a non-traveling family member would be a covered reason for cancellation. As such, if you cancel, you are entitled to your fate back and if the occupancy of one of the canons changes, there is no additional charge.

I second the suggestion to call the insurance company provider so that you understand any possible issues relating to a possible cancellation. -- Suzanne

So sorry you are going through this. First, I would call the insurance company. Second, If sil cannot go but nephew does, I would probably have sil be a no show at the pier otherwise you may be paying single supplement rate. But, you need to call insurance company first since maybe she would be covered by her insurance.

Well - just gone through our documentation and had a shock. It appears that my room is NOT INSURED but my husbands is?????? Called disney and its too late to add insurance now as we are fully paid up. What i dont get is that I called disney and added the insurance on both rooms at the same time - it was $500 plus for the both. I did it months ago and have spoken to disney several times since i took out the policy about the reservation and also the cancellation policy. At no point did disney mention only one room was insured. I mean why would I insure ONE room when the other isnt - I just cant believe it really. Problem is the card I paid on I no longer have so I cant look back on records as the account is closed.Anyway disney couldnt help me and have no records of me calling in (convenient)so I have purchased insurance through Travelex at a reasonable cost and now I am covered for my fare but SIL is not as she is a british citizen travelling in from the Uk for the cruise. Complete nightmare and I am at breaking point to be honest but i suppose three people out of 4 are now covered so its $ 1500 loss for us instead of $6000 if we cancel.
Got to be honest disney were useless on the phone - not really interested but its my fault as I should have obviously triple checked everything - lesson learned. Feeling upset, stressed, worried and now frankly just dont want to go anywhere.

Well - just gone through our documentation and had a shock. It appears that my room is NOT INSURED but my husbands is?????? Called disney and its too late to add insurance now as we are fully paid up. What i dont get is that I called disney and added the insurance on both rooms at the same time - it was $500 plus for the both. I did it months ago and have spoken to disney several times since i took out the policy about the reservation and also the cancellation policy. At no point did disney mention only one room was insured. I mean why would I insure ONE room when the other isnt - I just cant believe it really. Problem is the card I paid on I no longer have so I cant look back on records as the account is closed.Anyway disney couldnt help me and have no records of me calling in (convenient)so I have purchased insurance through Travelex at a reasonable cost and now I am covered for my fare but SIL is not as she is a british citizen travelling in from the Uk for the cruise. Complete nightmare and I am at breaking point to be honest but i suppose three people out of 4 are now covered so its $ 1500 loss for us instead of $6000 if we cancel.
Got to be honest disney were useless on the phone - not really interested but its my fault as I should have obviously triple checked everything - lesson learned. Feeling upset, stressed, worried and now frankly just dont want to go anywhere.

I would call the bank and check your credit card transactions with them. Even tho the account is closed, your records should still be in their computers.

Call travelex and talk to them ASAP because this may not be valid with the prexisting condition clause. They are very honest about what will and won't be covered. It sounds like if only 2 go you could get the one room covered but will DCL allow you to transfer a person to the other room without charge? We were on a long planned trip when a relative was diagnosed with a devastating cancer but wasn't in imminent danger so we had to go ahead with our trip and it was somewhat relaxing to be a bit unplugged for a few days.

We are insured through Travelex and we chose them because family members that are covered but not on the cruise with us (if they were to pass away) would not be subjected to the pre existing conditions clause. We are in the same boat as you and so paid a nit more for Travelex because of this issue.

Agreeing with JDB in AZ - your bank, by law, has to retain account statement data for your account for at least 7 years from the date of statement. There may be a nominal research fee involved if someone needs to dig for it in their optical storage system, but they *have* to have it on hand and readily accessible. (Can you tell that I work in the financial industry?)

My sympathies to you and your family at this difficult time. My mother passed away from cancer complications, and the uncertainty surrounding when the inevitable would occur was not an easy thing to endure.

Call travelex and talk to them ASAP because this may not be valid with the prexisting condition clause. They are very honest about what will and won't be covered. It sounds like if only 2 go you could get the one room covered but will DCL allow you to transfer a person to the other room without charge? We were on a long planned trip when a relative was diagnosed with a devastating cancer but wasn't in imminent danger so we had to go ahead with our trip and it was somewhat relaxing to be a bit unplugged for a few days.
I agree that you should follow up with Travelex. This is not really about pre-existing conditions; it is about whether you mother in law's condition is unforeseen. It won't help the OP to buy new insurance if it won't cover a loss if you need to cancel.
-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter