• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possible Accident of the Monorail near the Contemporary

Just saw this posted:

@ScottGustin Talked to Disney. “Incident” happened during planned downtime for monorail. Tractor made contact with monorail during towing. No injuries. “Because monorail made contact with tractor, we have to shut down monorail.” WDW PR spokeswoman not certain why road closed.

@ScottGustin: Talked to Disney. “Incident” happened during planned downtime for monorail. Tractor made contact with monorail during towing. No injuries.

Thank God!

Good to hear there are no injuries. It's funny how something like this can sound like such a major incident, helicopters and all that, and really it's was just a minor miscue that forces a total system shut down. I am so glad it's the latter though!

The Disney Blog ‏@TheDisneyBlog 2 minutes ago
Front of Monorail Orange crunched after hitting tug. Looks like glass and fiberglass damage to pilot compartment.

LaughingPlace.com ‏@laughing_place 4 minutes ago
Monorail accident confirmed tow tractor hit #Monorail Coral no injuries. Traffic stopped on World Drive.

Do people still not know how to tell the difference in the monorail colors? The ones with the white "delta" in the stripe denotes one of the weird colors.

Changing the title of this thread to reflect there was a monorail issue and traffic stopped on World Drive might help others threads from starting on same topic. Glad no guests were on the train and no injuries.

Do people still not know how to tell the difference in the monorail colors? The ones with the white "delta" in the stripe denotes one of the weird colors.

There was several posts all trying to clarify the colors ... orange, peach, coral ... I was just posting direct from their tweets.

Close up of the damaged nose:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUH5Ep1XIAEX0aR.jpg:large

This has photo/article:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/tr...6526646?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It is Monorail Coral .
Picture shows the Delta Stripes. (and damaged nose , impacted with tug) .

CUHxsOlU8AAV-OW.jpg:large

According to local news, no guests were on the monorail that impacted the tractor. No monorails are running at this time.

ClickOrlando said:
Disney officials told News 6 that it was not an accident but acknowledged that a work tractor came into contact with the monorail.

So, the impact with the tow vehicle was intentional, and not accidental? :confused:

Really, Disney?

Automation testing assumed to be for pilotless trains.

Trains will never be pilotless. Just a new safety anti collision system.

So, the impact with the tow vehicle was intentional, and not accidental? :confused:

Really, Disney?

Accidental. Reports confirm monorail had trouble during testing requiring a tow back to shop. Something happened with the tow bar and the train and tractor collided. No injuries to any cast and no guests on board. Monorails should be back online once everything has been checked out. Coral will just be offline for a while...

I feel like there's been a lot of problems with the monorail lately. Regardless, I hope all are okay.

Trains run upwards 20hrs a day 365 days a year for the last 26 years. New trains would be a major blessing but seems like the lack of downtime at Disney world to introduce, test, and install new trains is near impossible anymore.

Trains run upwards 20hrs a day 365 days a year for the last 26 years. New trains would be a major blessing but seems like the lack of downtime at Disney world to introduce, test, and install new trains is near impossible anymore.

Oh, I'm not saying to redo the monorails, I'm just saying that it seems like this has been popping up a lot more lately.

On Monday we were on Monorail and when in Contemporory they announced there was a problem with another train and we would be sitting for awhile. They were encouraging people to disembark,kept announcing that it's a 5 minute walk to the magic kingdom. We stayed on and sat for 30-40 minutes till it was clear for it to resume service

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter