• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Possibility of Downgrading from Grand Floridian :(

PixieFairies

The McSweeney Family
Due to budget and finances we may need to downgrade our 14 night Grand Floridian stay.
For 2 weeks in Oct/Nov for 2 adults 3 kids with flights it was working out at 13,500 euros approx - This was not including any spending money or money spent to get the holiday ready like clothes, packing, insurance, all the bits and bobs, esta's, passport renewals etc.
We also wanted to try a Disney Dream cruise at the end of this which could have cost us an extra 3,500 euros. So not a hope on any of this happening. We have 18 months approx to save, however this holiday could have cost us anywhere near to the 20,000 mark for everything.

Its alot of money and money that i would rather spend on a deposit/downpayment for a mortgage ( which is what we will be planning for when we get back and we wont be returning to florida for a few years, i think that was why i tried to go all out and make it magically as we had recently cancelled a villa due to lots of stuff going on with our families etc )

So here are my options ( i think we may leave the cruise for another time )

27th Oct - 10th Nov 2016 Including avg flights direct, 14 nights accomodation with DDP, Tickets, 200 dollar gift card & memory maker. 2 adults & 3 kids ( 6, 4, 2 ) with 2 year old been free & paying OOP etc. These quotes will have spending money included also.

Carribean Beach Standard Room - 10,000 euros (everything including spending money)

Port Orleans Riverside Standard Room - 11,000 euros

OKW 1 - Bed Villa - 12,000 euros

Beach & Yacht Club Standard Rooms - 12,500 euros

Boardwalk Inn Standard Room - 13,000 euros

SSR are only showing 2 Bedroom - 14,000 euros

Im just not sure which one to choose. I think i would like my budget to be around 12-13k euros for everything. However staying at Grand Floridian & not doing the cruise would probably cost 15,000 total with spending money & includes a theme park view room.

Decisions Decisions. What would you guys suggest?
We have stayed at 1 bed OKW before, however nowhere else. We dont really mind us all in the 1 room. So space wouldnt be a deal breaker.

Honestly, if it were me, I would choose the cheapest room (Caribbean Beach). In the end, you're going to probably not be in the room very much. I would rather spend the money elsewhere than the room. If you save on the room, you can splurge elsewhere or save more towards your deposit/down payment for your mortgage.

I'd go with OKW. Much more space. Assuming all your price quotes are paying cash (vs renting DVC points where applicable), even with a dining plan promotion you'll still have the ability to prepare some food in the room.

We stayed in a 1 bed OKW last Oct and as much as we loved the space, there wasn't much for the kids to do. All they did was play on the slide and they grew bored of that. Plus all they ate from quick service there was just the chicken nuggest & fries.

Your not missing much trust me...I've stayed at the grand, French quarter, and all star movies.

In the end, to me at least, ....it's just a room. Your kiddos look like young ones too why not Art of Animation I would love staying there at that age.

I definitely would choose OKW. We have stayed there and loved it. I would get a grocery delivery from Garden Grocer too. I do not "cook" big meals on vacation, but we order water, juice, fruit, breakfast items, soda, beer, wine, cheese & crackers, and other snack items. We eat breakfast in the room each morning before heading out. I use our DDP credits for a QS lunch and then a TS dinner. I love being able to relax with an "adult" beverage in the evening and it is great to have cold drinks when we return.
Good Luck

We stayed in a 1 bed OKW last Oct and as much as we loved the space, there wasn't much for the kids to do. All they did was play on the slide and they grew bored of that. Plus all they ate from quick service there was just the chicken nuggest & fries.

If you want a resort with things to do nearby, then you either want something in the Epcot resorts area (BC, YC or BW) or maybe near DTD (SS) based on the choices you mentioned above. Although you would save a lot staying at CBR, it's pretty much just as isolated as OKW so your recreational facilities will be limited. So give some thought not only to what you want to spend, but what amenities you need at your resort in order to have a good trip. If all you want is a room to sleep and shower then go with the room that saves you the most money. If you tend to spend a lot of time at your resort and want things nearby (i.e., walking distance or minimal transportation required) to keep you occupied, then the cheapest room may not be right choice.

Have you priced out a cabin at Fort Wilderness? There are always activities going on in the campground, you would have a full kitchen so you could prepare some meals to save money if you wanted to, there is a separate bedroom for the kids, and with the separate cabins, you don't have to worry so much about noise (yours or anyone else's).

I think we might consider looking at Beach Club & get the Free DDP included with that.

That might be a good idea. Do the moderates include the QS DP or is there no plan with that?

The other option would go budget all the way. You could still have a great holiday save more for your house and get back to Florida sooner.

I have always stayed in the value resorts and I love them. I did however book CBR with FD for our next Stay. In the US moderates have the full plan.

I think we might consider looking at Beach Club & get the Free DDP included with that.

To be honest, the Grand Floridian is my least favorite resort out of all of my stays on property. The Beach Club is a fantastic resort that may be worth the price difference from Caribbean Beach. You'll have easy access to both HS and Epcot, plus you'll have the evening entertainment of the boardwalk area. The pool there is absolutely amazing. There are loads of great restaurants that you can walk to with ease, which would allow you to have much more relaxed days because you don't have to worry about grabbing buses to head out to dinner. For a 14 night stay, it would be about $108 Euros per night more to stay at the Beach Club. For the convenience factor and the nicer amenities, I'd definitely consider it, especially if you are going to do the DDP. There are so many great places around there to eat.

If you are leaving the GF and can do a luxury resort (YC/BC or BWI) for just just 2-3 thousand euros more than a moderate, I would take one of those as my change from the GF. It isn't much of a downgrade as you are still staying in one of WDW's luxury resorts. I would choose the BC/YC for 12,500. It is mid point in your options' price range so it is a good savings, not the lowest overall but the lowest with the least (if any) downgrade from the GF. With the age of your children, I would probably go with the YC. The YC is the first pick up and drop off on the buses, it is closest to the end of SAB that is for small kids, it is closest to the boat dock and it is only a few minutes longer to get to Epcot. You will also get a full balcony at the YC. I would request a room near the lobby/elevators for convenience.

The BC is pretty much the same deal, if you like the look of it better for your family. Atmosphere is a big part of the vacation as well. I would request a full balcony here, though.

Enjoy!

I agree with BC! You will have a LOT for the kids to do, plus you'll still get the luxurious feeling that's close to GF. And if you can get the free dining it will be VERY worth it. :)

~Cari~ pluto:

I've not stayed at all of those resorts but any of them would be a very nice place to stay. DH's favourite is the GF but it's my third favourite. I personally prefer Boardwalk first then Beach Club, largely because of the location and partly because I prefer the theming over the GF. We stayed at CBR years ago and it's very nice but not quite as convenient to the parks. We wandered through Port Orleans when we were there last just to look at it and thought that the French Quarter was quite interesting. We prefer the Deluxe resorts now but PO is one that I would definitely consider if I was going to book a moderate. I think that the location is possibly a bit more convenient than CBR. I really don't think that you can go wrong with any of the resorts you've listed.

My suggestion is to pick the one based on your comfort level with your budget along with the theming that you think would best enhance your vacation. We do spend a fair bit of time in our room (napping in afternoon or just resting our poor little feet) so we find that the décor, resort amenities, and theming all contribute to making us really feel immersed in the Disney experience.

We have LOVED POR, just loved it. The beach club is appealing as well .... have you looked at renting DVC points ? Getting a 1 or 2 bedroom at AKL or something ? You could get a 2 Bedroom at AKL (by renting points) for 6500 Dollars .... for 2 weeks, that would give you 2 bedrooms and a kitchen and everything.

GF is great, but if you have to switch, for moderate my choice would be POR because it has some extras to offer, with boat to DTD, horse & carriage rides, and fun evening entertainment in the lounge. The grounds are beautiful.

For deluxe my pic would be YC/BC. Best pool on site, can walk to Epcot, and it's a 20 min walk over to DHS or boat. The Boardwalk area is a short walk away, and with free dining, there are so many dining options nearby.

What if you stay offsite for one week and onsite for the other? You might find it adds up for what you'll need and you'll be able to stay in your preferred resort.

what is the boardwalk? what amenities/entertainment/restaurants there? How long would a bus from beach club/yacht club take you to get to Dowtown Disney?

what is the boardwalk? what amenities/entertainment/restaurants there? How long would a bus from beach club/yacht club take you to get to Dowtown Disney?

It's an area directly across from the Beach and Yacht, and immediately in front of the Boardwalk Inn. They have performers there, a music club, etc. You can find the full info here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/boardwalk/

There is a bus that will take you to Downtown Disney. The actual ride itself is about 20-25 minutes if I recall.

If you're up for saving money, and want to stay for 2 weeks, Why not do a split stay.
Say, 4-5 days at a Value (AOA or POP), go on your cruise (Disney will pick you up at your resort, and return you to the next), and finish off at a moderate like CSR, POFQ or CBR.
This way you get to enjoy all you wish to do. This is what we did in January and it was perfect. Best vacation ever!
Finishing it off in a moderate for a couple days after was just a perfect way to get your land legs back, and enjoy the scenery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter