Portraits of my children

DisneyNotes

DIS Veteran
I would like to have portraits of my children painted or sketched while in WDW next month. Any suggestions on when and where and prices?

I know about the Grand Floridian portrait artist, but are there others in the resorts or the parks?

Thanks in advance!

We had one done in MGM and it looks nothing! like our son. Be sure to watch the artist doing someone ahead of time to see what you might be getting.

The artist at the Beach Club is amazing!! Each trip we remind ourselves that we want her to do our DD when she is a little older.

I had "shadow portaits" done of my children @MK and was very pleased. The artist sat them on a stool and cut out their portraits while he looked at them! I was amazed. They were framed in an oval frame on the spot and I think it was less than $10. The reverse portrait from the one he cut was a couple dollars cheaper. It really looked just like my children's profile and was a very inexpensive momento. I think it was in Frontierland.

I had the shadow portrait done when I was 10 years old in Disneyland (many, many years ago) I still am amazed at the detail and accuracy he achieved with a pair of scissors. It is a great memento.

How long do the kids have to sit still for the shadow portraits? Are they all black paper on white background?

Isn't there a chalk artist usually at EPCOT in France? I thought it was just across from Chef d'France, along the water...

I had my two boys (3 and 4 yo) sit for the silhouette artist this past trip in Sept. They had to sit between 5 and 10 minutes. My oldest did great. He thought he was really cool sitting there, but my little guys needed a little help. The artist pulled out a little book and let me hold my son and read to him. It worked like a charm. The silhouette was done before we were finished with the story.

They are all black paper cut out pasted (somehow) onto white paper. I had ours framed in the black oval frame that they have there. I think that for both of them the cost was about $30.

This was a wonderful souvenir. I would recommend this to anyone!

We had silhouettes done at DTD on our Honeymoon Trip 5 Years ago and hope to have DD 'done' this time. I don't know if we were lucky but we ended up with 3 copies (DH says that we paid for the sitting and knew we were getting 3 copies!)

We stuck them in frames and the spare 2 were great (cheap!)souveniers for our parents

Jo

I had a silhouette done of my son in 92, then my two sons in 98, I plan on having my three children done this Feb. I love them. An older gentleman in down town disney did a great job. Good luck in finding what you want.

I'd never heard of the silhouette portrait. That's interesting. I think I might have that done along with the oil painting. I love the idea of that realistic look if I can find a great artist and if my 3 boys will sit still. The silhouette appeals to me on the basis of time. They can sit for that - maybe!

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far. I've learned a lot and I'm ready to learn more. Keep those ideas coming. I'm really set on having portraits of my children done while on vacation.

We just had our DD's silhoutte done this past weekend at Downtown Disney- Marketplace. The stand was by the Disney at Home store. The cost was $8.50 and we received three copies. I was amazed at what he could do with just scissors. DD had to sit still for about 3-4 minutes. I was suprised she was able to do this as she is only 6 months old. But I held a rattle in front of her and she was mesmerized by it. BTW, the artist was willing to "try" and see if she would sit- with no obligation to us. It was definately one of my best purchases of the weekend.

I'll look for him. I love to go to DTD and shop. My sons are much older (16, 14, 9) so hopefully they can make the 3-4 minute sit. If I can pull the youngest out of the Lego store and the older 2 out of the record store. . .
I like that they give several copies. (I'm thinking grandparents here.)

The silhouettes are always the best souvenirs, IMHO! We have one for each of our DDs trips to WDW, starting at age 2. This year will be the first trip for our DS, who is 15 mos. old. Can't wait. They are beautifully done and make great Grandma gifts, too.

I agree with everyone about the silhouettes. Our whole family did this at DTD, and they are a prized possession. As far as the painting, we had a chalk portrait done of our son at MK, in Liberty Square, and as someone mentioned earlier, it really didn't look like him. If it wasn't hanging in my living room, you'd never guess who it was. We were very disappointed, because the one DH & I had done in Las Vegas was very good.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

i had my dds, ages 2 and 5, done at beach club in may, and am so happy i did-the portraits are lovely, and hung in our living room where they get many praises. the artist took maybe 8-10 digital pictures of the kids, and did the portrait from those, as the children were too young to sit still. i plan on having them done when we go back-it is a wonderful keepsake.

Disney has been doing this for years. I had one done in 1979 when I went with my parents. I am going to get my kids done down there too. I may even surprise my mom with ones of my kids. :)

We had the shillohette cutting done of my boys in the MK about 10 days ago. The artist had my 2 year old sit first for like 2 minutes, then my 4 year old for about 3 minutes then another minute of 2 of the 2 year old. It's both of them in one oval. VERY good likeness too. It was $6.95 per kid and and like $7.95 for the oval frame (optional). I think we only got one extra copy free. He showed me he was putting my free copy in the frame too, I'll have to look and see if it was one or two.

I'm giving one as a Christmas gift to my parents. We had one done of me in the 70s also on Main Street so I thought it would be neat to dig mine out of their storage boxes they put in our basement and give them both.

The artist had a cart set up on the right hand side of mainstreet (rt side if you are facing the castle) just across from the last part of the Emporium. It's set into what looks like an alleyway.

Very cute, very fast and not terribly expensive!

Just can't help myself : "I'd know that Sil-you-wet anywhere, it's Mary Poppins!" :hyper: :hyper:

Seriously though, my husband and I had one done on our honeymoon, I still love it. We had DD done at Seaworld in pastels, major disappointment, had another done this summer at Hersheypark, love it. The artist was very young (20?) and it was very reasonable, he was pleased to hear the compliment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter