Portofino Club in January 2014

LOVE that you met Luna! So cool.

(I PMed you~ only mentioning it because you had said you didn't know last time, not because I am impatient or anything :thumbsup2)

I have really enjoyed reading through your report & seeing your photos. So sorry to hear how sick you & DS were though :-(

Hope it was still worth it!!

LOVE that you met Luna! So cool.

(I PMed you~ only mentioning it because you had said you didn't know last time, not because I am impatient or anything :thumbsup2)

Thank you. :) I saw it on my mobile but was having some issues responding, then I actually thought I replied. I'll reply back. But bottom line...eek you're sailing so soon! I'm glad N's OK! and I found the things you were talking about and wow wow wow wow.

Totally unrelated thought...ages ago when I was doing wedding-planning, my first meetup with computer people was a big couples thing. That was fine with DH. And then I went wedding-gown-shopping with someone had I hadn't previously met. DH was so worried that "she" would be a "he" and would be a "big galoot". I had to set up all sorts of things that I would do and not do, to make Robert OK with the meetup. It's definitely nerve-wracking sometimes to meet with people from online! Not you of course, Nancy. But other people. (though, interestingly, the woman I went gown-shopping with hurt my feelings terribly a few years later, and took a whole group of internet-turned-real-life friends along with her as she left my life...so I guess she was a "big galoot" afterall!)

As you can see, that wasn't related at all to what I had been talking about in the paragraph just above. :upsidedow:scratchin

I have really enjoyed reading through your report & seeing your photos. So sorry to hear how sick you & DS were though :-(

Hope it was still worth it!!

Thanks for reading. Ah, was it worth it is the question of the year. I think it's finally made me realize that we have to do something about our immune systems, and if we can help them be healthier then it will be worth it.

Some day I would like to feel like I'm giving good solid info out, not just "learn from my stupidity" tips. :p:rotfl::thumbsup2

Random picture of how the boat area is set up in Citywalk.

DSCF1958_zps74218915.jpg

This is the view as you approach it from the Royal Pacific/Islands of Adventure/Margaritaville side of CW. If you approach it from the HRH/Portofino/Nascar Cafe (?)/Studios side, you actually have to come down the stairs and walk all the way past those lines to see those signs and figure out what line you should be in.

On the 25th, apparently we had an urge to revisit Magic Kingdom. We hit Columbia Harbour House, maybe a ride or 3 (I think we finally managed Haunted Mansion), and called it good.

This was the reason we rented the car from Four Points. I don't remember how I got over there, but I picked it up, got the guys and we headed out.

That evening we dropped it off after hours. There's a key drop box in front of the office, but no real place to put the paperwork. So I think I just left it in the car. That night is when we found out that that hotel tends to keep a towncar guy onsite. That night is when I remembered that I need to be careful getting into cars, as I basically rammed my ear right into the point of the back door. Cannot even explain how much that stinkin' hurt. And when ears hurt, they FEEL like they are bleeding. The driver kept asking me if I was OK and I couldn't talk, and finally the only thing I could say was "I don't know how to answer that question". I mean, I could tell I was NOT bleeding though it felt like I was, I wasn't seeing stars, I didn't think I'd broken anything...but it hurt so badly it just couldn't possibly be OK, right? Meh, I was OK. Try not to do that, though, OK?

A different night E started freaking out with ear pain*, Star Services said it was too late to buy anything (we only had aspirin, and given the virus he was getting over I was NOT going to give the little kid something that could cause Reyes Syndrome) from the giftshop, but there was a Walgreens nearby. They said Bell Serivces might take us, put us through to Bell. They said they could but in an hour. Robert went down, planning to take a taxi, talked to the Bell guys, they had a break in the schedule and took him on this midnight run for free. Of course he tipped them.

And on one of the days during this part of the trip, I wanted to go to the store. Just Whole Foods, to get some wholesome snacks and massive cupcakes (I was still having huge sugar-needs) and more natural remedy type things. And maybe a beer, LOL. (again, sugar) (very NOT healthy when sick) I looked at the cost of a car rental, I looked at the annoyance of picking it up and dropping it off, I looked at the massive cost of a Hertz rental (ick) with the convenience of getting that onsite. Then I found out about the towncars Portofino keeps there. With tip I think the trip to and from Whole Foods was $50. I had 20 minutes to shop; the driver SAID I went over time, but he wouldn't charge me for those minutes...he's smart, he got a bit of a better tip.

The car thing at Loews Universal is a bit of a pain. There are parking fees and rental fees and gassing the thing up and all... So if you don't need the car the whole time, when you're there, definitely look into the towncars and the pricing structure for where you need to go. It could end up being less expensive *in total* than having the car there the entire time.

That night after Magic Kingdom I had to do laundry. We were finally rested up and basically well enough (at least to the point where we could answer the cruise line's "are you well enough to get on this ship" questions) that we knew we would get to cruise, and I didn't want to deal with them washing everything in hot and putting them in scary dryers. So I let the guys hang out, and went off to do my job (dishes are DH's job at home and laundry is mine...of course those can be shared if necessary, but it's the division that we prefer...everything else is split). :)

There's no laundry room at Portofino. You get to go to RPR or HRH.

If it had been the daytime I would have just dragged my big roller bag of laundry over to HRH. It was nighttime. Later nighttime. I asked around, and found out that the Bell guys would take me over there for free. The strapping young man lifted my roller bag into the back of the SUV like it was nothing, took me on over. He took it out and was happy to have a couple bucks for the effort.

Took me two laundry rooms and in the vicinity of 2 hours, but I got the laundry done and didn't lose any of it. Did some reading and wandering.

I still don't care for Hard Rock, but it's OK to do laundry in. If I do laundry there again I'll be sure to bring a beer or two to help while away the time.

Suits that Tears for Fears wore:

C28646CA-72A1-4C4D-B080-ECEFCC23D9EF_zpskqrgemgh.jpg

Cyndi Lauper's outfit:

F4CD8395-ADEC-4DFC-93F3-12F81CB7FF7B_zpsk9ltoptd.jpg

This is the part of the hotel I like in the daytime. It looks out on the pool, and is just a nice space. It's the part that was all curtained off for a private event the whole time we stayed at HRH a year or so ago.

D1F74B95-609B-463B-B46C-B23EDB37B816_zpskzns2nn3.jpg

0401C551-899B-4A92-A98F-5450F5CC0505_zpsizrpq8xf.jpg

The Bell guys took me on back, we packed like crazy and got prepared for the next morning, and went to SLEEP.

*to finish that story....

Robert got ibuprofen that night, and at the last minute at the register saw a homeopathic for ear pain. Got both things. Got back to the room and I gave E a quarter of a 200mg pill, which is as much as he has ever had. Then we put the drops in his ears. He instantly quieted down and stopped crying. Far too early for the ibu to have dissolved. It was SO cool. (oh and he HATES ear drops with a passion, he thinks they hurt him, so it's not like he had a placebo effect of ear drops mean good things) Wished we had done things the opposite way, but he's like me with ibu, it drops him like it's an elephant tranquilizer, so at least he got a good night's sleep.

We have been to Universal a lot, and I'll try to remember to pop back in here if any newbies have questions. Just because this trip wasn't the greatest doesn't mean I've forgotten everything about the parks or hotels. :)

Bought these again. I just love that the Universal marketing peeps went ahead and made the cookies that the girls are selling in the first movie. From what I recall, the ingredients in all of them are safe for my family, and pretty decent and simple overall. We like these best.

9585CF30-832D-4082-B116-08D1F3FE78F0_zpsoslsiyhj.jpg

The BEST Tervis cup we encountered. :cool2:

DSCF2685_zpsd6de01c4.jpg

The 26th...we woke up, got all ready, got Bell Services to help us. Our limo guy (so much luggage they said a towncar would be too small, and there were no SUVs by the time we were arranging transport...plus DH never got a limo for prom, so why not this one time?) was there early (but with no pressure) so that was good. I had gone down to the lounge to tip the club people, get coffees and fruits and waters and such, to say goodbye and thank them...definitely wished we had had a better trip, but sometimes life is like that, I suppose. And hey, they gave me tons of wine. ;)

Got packed into the limo and headed for the port!

Up next, I'll throw a link to a cruise report in here and my most recent WDW report. :3dglasses

Thanks for reading. Ah, was it worth it is the question of the year. I think it's finally made me realize that we have to do something about our immune systems, and if we can help them be healthier then it will be worth it.

Some day I would like to feel like I'm giving good solid info out, not just "learn from my stupidity" tips. :p:rotfl::thumbsup2

Oh trust me...we all appreciate your very helpful tips :thumbsup2 We honestly don't mind how you came to know what you know either....just grateful that you share your experience :rotfl2:

Seriously though, you are a wealth of info, especially for us newbies & for that I say thank you :goodvibes Keep your eye out for my trippie in early May!!

Thanks so much!

I see your name and location..... Yesterday a Weight Watchers advertisement out of Australia was making the rounds through social media here. Have you seen it? It could never run on TV here in the US since we'd get our feelings hurt or be shocked at a baby nursing or some of the other images in it, but it really was amazing to me. And it didn't even mention weight loss; shocking.

Thanks so much!

I see your name and location..... Yesterday a Weight Watchers advertisement out of Australia was making the rounds through social media here. Have you seen it? It could never run on TV here in the US since we'd get our feelings hurt or be shocked at a baby nursing or some of the other images in it, but it really was amazing to me. And it didn't even mention weight loss; shocking.

I can't say I have seen it.....will keep my eye out for it though :-) Haha US sounds sensitive....sometimes I wish we were a little more sensitive.....nothing like driving the kids to school only to hear advertisements on the radio about what to do if your sperm count is low or if you don't want anymore kids to get a vesectomy or how this brand makes better tampons etc etc It is very annoying when your young ones ask questions thanks to this rubbish they are hearing on the radio!!!

I can't wait to be back in the States.....we love it there! We could defs live there!!! 35 days to go :cheer2:

I can't say I have seen it.....will keep my eye out for it though :-) Haha US sounds sensitive....sometimes I wish we were a little more sensitive.....nothing like driving the kids to school only to hear advertisements on the radio about what to do if your sperm count is low or if you don't want anymore kids to get a vesectomy or how this brand makes better tampons etc etc It is very annoying when your young ones ask questions thanks to this rubbish they are hearing on the radio!!!

I can't wait to be back in the States.....we love it there! We could defs live there!!! 35 days to go :cheer2:

While we were watching the Winter olympics, it was a rare time that DS was watching "prime time" TV (dinner-time, evening). It's unbelievable how many ads there are for erectile dysfunction pills!

Let's swap countries; I'll take your place and you can take mine. :)

Well except for the whole issue of all the wildlife in Australia being out to kill you....;)

Haha yes we sure do have some predators!! If we sit & think about them all, we would marvel that we survive each year lol I hate creepy crawlies too so when we get a snake or spider there's only one thing to do.....kill it!!

My friend was going to bed the other night & heard a sound. She flicked the light on & saw a Tiger snake (deadly) slithering into her daughters bedroom!! Needless to say there's one less Tiger snake in Australia now ;)

Stupid ads!!! Obviously the people who allow them to be shown do not have children!!!!

OK nevermind I'm not moving to Australia. :)

DH has had great luck with NOT seeing or noticing or being killed by anything down there. Had a weird experience seeing kangaroos in, I want to say, Adelaide, but a Team Member at Universal who is from there (or whatever city he was in) absolutely vehemently denied that there WERE any kangaroos there let alone wandering the streets, so maybe my non-drinking non-hallucinating husband was seeing things?

My brother, however, was smack dab in the middle of the country and had a horrific time with the creatures. Things getting into cars, etc...

I'm going to try to check back in in case of questions, but just in case your big burning questions now involve "but how was their cruise?" I'm working to answer that question here!

I know it's silly that I put reports from one trip here, there, and some other place, but that's just how I do it. :dance3:

OK nevermind I'm not moving to Australia. :)

DH has had great luck with NOT seeing or noticing or being killed by anything down there. Had a weird experience seeing kangaroos in, I want to say, Adelaide, but a Team Member at Universal who is from there (or whatever city he was in) absolutely vehemently denied that there WERE any kangaroos there let alone wandering the streets, so maybe my non-drinking non-hallucinating husband was seeing things?

My brother, however, was smack dab in the middle of the country and had a horrific time with the creatures. Things getting into cars, etc...

I'm going to try to check back in in case of questions, but just in case your big burning questions now involve "but how was their cruise?" I'm working to answer that question here!

I know it's silly that I put reports from one trip here, there, and some other place, but that's just how I do it. :dance3:

Haha. There really is not usually kangaroos wandering on the roads lol but if there's bush area around then they may be around and they will hop accross the road. There is also lots of wallabies around, generally smaller than roos. Unfortunately even our cute wildlife can be pests in some ways but they are protected (as they should be) it is just a shame they can be little menaces!!

You should pay a visit to Aus sometime and pat a koala and a kangaroo.....really is a priceless experience :goodvibes

:wave: Here too!

I am so sorry you spent your vacation so ill. It hit my ds the moment we arrived in Orlando, but it wasn't until the last couple days that it hit the rest of us. Boy that thing hung on though. Just yesterday I was running and realized that for the first time in forever I wasn't feeling like I needed to blow my nose constantly.

I have not been to Universal in forever! Love all the pictures you are sharing.

And so cool you got to meet Evanna Lynch!

Haha. There really is not usually kangaroos wandering on the roads lol but if there's bush area around then they may be around and they will hop accross the road. There is also lots of wallabies around, generally smaller than roos. Unfortunately even our cute wildlife can be pests in some ways but they are protected (as they should be) it is just a shame they can be little menaces!!

You should pay a visit to Aus sometime and pat a koala and a kangaroo.....really is a priceless experience :goodvibes

I really want to, but get scared about the flight. DH wants me to go to Korea, too, to spend time with his family, but still, scared. I'm sure I'll get there.

Good to know that there CAN be kangaroos hopping across the road!!!! Thank you for verifying that. It's funny how when people move away from their home country they slowly start remembering things differently than they were, or think that everything is exactly the way they left it.

:wave: Here too!

I am so sorry you spent your vacation so ill. It hit my ds the moment we arrived in Orlando, but it wasn't until the last couple days that it hit the rest of us. Boy that thing hung on though. Just yesterday I was running and realized that for the first time in forever I wasn't feeling like I needed to blow my nose constantly.

I have not been to Universal in forever! Love all the pictures you are sharing.

And so cool you got to meet Evanna Lynch!

Well, you need to go back to Universal!

It's just TODAY that I'm realizing how much better my ear is feeling. I figured I was going to have to go back and get a second round of antibiotics, but they've been gone and I'm annoyed at the whole thing. I was using a natural oil (garlic and mullein) like I wanted to to begin with but it was doing nothing. Finally I remembered that I bought a homeopathic ear drop and started using that. Brilliant! After actually getting worse for at least 2 weeks if not more, it's almost totally better inside of 3 nights of using the drops. So glad.

My voice is still funky. Next time I get sick I'm not going to speak. I should start us learning Sign Language now to prepare for it. I just destroy my voice when I'm sick.

Hey Bumbershoot.....I took my kiddies to our local theme park at the Gold Coast, Dreamworld last week and when we saw the kangaroos and koalas I thought of you!

I am going to try to post a couple of pics I took.....never posted pics before!! Need the practice though as our trip is getting so close now ::yes::

9B69CB88-649A-4BAA-BFFC-94745F7D4E16_zpsdck4hhqv.jpg.html

D0BA425D-018A-423D-9AF1-2E9E105EB7DA_zpseh1ro70e.jpg.html

1BCD6E3E-F799-493B-98FC-E81E09ABC096_zpsrmq5q0ps.jpg.html

I hope the pictures worked!!! I'm about to find out I guess!

It didn't work :-(
How do I post an image? Can you help me? Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter