Portland, Maine to Bar Habor

#1hoosierfan

DIS Veteran
We are flying into Portland and spending 3 nights in Bar Harbor. What towns should we stop in on the way there and back? Would love to get a feel for the town and great local restaurants.

Since you are flying and only staying for a few days why not pick one town and get a feeling of the place as you stated? Otherwise a trip this short sounds like the new remake of “If it’s Tuesday, it must be Brussel“. What is your main interest besides eating? Cater to it and HTH.

Since you are flying and only staying for a few days why not pick one town and get a feeling of the place as you stated? Otherwise a trip this short sounds like the new remake of “If it’s Tuesday, it must be Brussel“. What is your main interest besides eating? Cater to it and HTH.

Well, I thought that is what I was asking?

We will have all day to make our way up to Bar Hathor if we choose, and then all day to make our way back to Portland.

I’m not at all familiar with Maine. We are looking for a quant town that we can visit for a few hours or simply have lunch looking at some pretty scenery.

I did a vacation to Bar Harbor last September. On the day I left I drove US 1 back down to Brunswick. I went up the observatory in the Penobscot Narrows Bridge (that's near Bucksport), then ate lunch in Camden, went to Camden Hills State Park, walked the Rockland Breakwater and then had dinner in Bath.

Boothbay Harbor. We were married there and it is just a beautiful area. Also the suggestion above. Camden/Rockport. those are the types of towns I think you are looking for.

I second Boothbay Harbor, it's a lovely little town to spend the afternoon, though be aware it's a bit of a drive from Route 1 and back, probably a little more than an hour.

You can't go wrong with most of the towns along Route 1, it's a lovely drive all the way up to Bar Harbor.

I recommend the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath. It is a great museum and they have several boat trips. We did the 1 hour Shipyards & Lighthouses cruise several years ago and really enjoyed it.

My first thought was Camden/Rockport. Portland's Old Port is pretty neat too. Really depends what you are looking for. The coast of Maine is beautiful. I often find myself at the beach. (I live about 30 minutes west of Portland)

Anywhere along the coast of Maine is lovely. Are you landing in the morning? If it's summer, make a stop at Holy Donuts to get a blueberry donut, and thank me later. :love:

There is so much to see and do (and eat!) along the way. If you stop in Rockland, the Home Kitchen Cafe is absolutely marvelous for breakfast and lunch. There's a neat shop outside of Ellsworth called the Big Chicken Barn - full of antiques and books and all kinds of odd stuff. Big is an understatement; It's fun to walk around in. There's a great Alpaca shop in Northport that sometimes brings alpacas from their farm, but always has cameras from there. There's not much there, but the Marshall Point Lighthouse in Tenant's Harbor was used in Forrest Gump. Kind of cool. There are lighthouses all up and down the coast. Belfast is also a cute coastal town to walk around in. Near the Observatory mentioned, there is Fort Knox (not that Fort Knox) if you're into history. Hopefully both will be open by the time you go.

Have a great trip. Maine is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter