Portable Nebulizer for in the parks?

dijid

American Expat in France for a while
Anyone ever bring (or plan on bringing) a portable nebulizer for use in the parks? DS (2.5) has asthma and his nebulizer is so large that we often debate whether to even lug the thing with us when we travel. But since his last episode, we're now looking for a portable unit we can take with us everywhere. Would love to hear recommendations from anyone about what works, doesn't, etc. Thanks!

I'd bet that you'd get a great # of responses if this thread was on the DISabilities board on this site. Maybe a moderator could move it?

Wow I was just thinking the same thing. I was going to bring the nebulizer with uis on the next trip. I didn't know that they make portable ones. Do tell me more. Thank you.

How large is the nebulizer you currently have?? What constitutes a portable one?? I have never heard of a portable nebulizer. The one we have for DS (3) is somewhat small and compact. It measures 7" x 7" x 4". We got ours through Apria Healthcare and we do take ours with us on vacation. We carry the albuterol inhaler with us and leave the nebulizer and the respules(in a cooler) in the car. This way if DS has an attack, we can treat him right away and then get back to the car if a breathing treatment is still needed. We plug in the nebulizer with an inverter hooked up into the cigarette lighter. Does this help at all??

You can also store it in the lockers at the parks and then just go to the First Aid station to do a treatment.
It will save on carrying it around and time traveling back to the car or the hotel.

Here's an example of a portable nebulizer that works off batteries:
http://www.portablenebs.com/omronelite.htm

We have the power inverter and have used it to nebulize him in the car. Out nebulizer is approxinately 12x6x8 and weighs several pounds. Not exactly portable. When DS gets bad, he has to be nebulized every 4 hours around the clock to keep him from getting tight. I think it would be so much easier if we could do it while waiting in line for an attraction, rather than having to go back to the car or room. Some of the portable ones even let you do them laying down, which would make those 2am treatments much easier!

The PARI Trek Compressor & Power Pack Combo Package nebulizer is quite small and highly portable with adapters for use in cars, and a battery for when you can't plug-in. Your insurance carrier may pay for it; it is expensive.

We used to carry-on our large DeVilbiss, but would leave it in the room. We may substitute Albuterol with a puffer, for the Xopenex nebulizer, which we carry into the parks.

You may leave supplies at the first-aid stations in the Parks, so that you do not have to lug the equipment and meds around with you.

We brought our regular nebulizer with us in October for my girls. We stored it in a locker. Thankfully we didn't have to use it, but I just planned on going to the First Aid station if needed. I'm sure they could accomodate you with a spot to give it to your child.

My thought, better to be safe than sorry. Lockers don't cost that much and the peace of mind of having it with you is worth it.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter