Portable dvd player on plane??

I find it rather rude to assume that if someone doesn't have kids, they should either be patient and understanding OR they should be prepared to be considered a fuddy duddy. Why not just take care of your child's needs and not assume that everyone else is happy with your choice in child rearing?

Frankly, both my partner and I are VERY understanding and patient, particularly with kids. For crying out loud, if we weren't, we wouldn't be going to Disney World! And Joe is a teacher! But to abuse my patience and understanding and stretch it to the point of snapping is just plain rude.

To the OP, I think it's pretty awesome that you are considerate enough to even put your question out there. To those others that think I should either be happy to deal with hearing Elmo screech in his hyper irritating voice OR deal with the consequences, i.e. your child raising a very loud fuss, you definitley need to know that there are others on that plain, not just you and your child. Someone on here said as much in terms that others should deal with the circumstances because THEY aren't the only ones on the plane and it's public transportation. Same goes for you. It's really that simple.

Oh, and if I were to hear you read a book to your kid, well, I'd think it was pretty darn cute and I'd probably eaves drop.

Nevertheless, someone pass me some Xanax please. I think it's behind the martini shaker and tranquilizer gun.

hubermom3 said:
Well just to let you all know that I am going to be the rude parent on the flight to MCO from Detroit on July 3rd. My kids will be having a DVD player and WILL NOT be wearing headphones. If you don't want to hear the sounds on the airplane then I suggest that YOU bring ear plugs or headphones.

Wow.

Now what are you going to do if/when someone complains to you first and asks you not to do that?

I just want to know where people are getting DVD players that have speakers that are loud enough for anyone to hear unless you are 3 feet away. :)

We haven't used headphones the last two trips(I even had external speakers added one time) with our DVD player's and except for my daughter who was watching the movie, nobody else could hear a thing over the noise of the plane. She was in the middle seat and we also had the row behind us as well so we were certain of this.

When you throw in the noise of the captain every 10 minutes, people talking or walking by, flight attendants asking questions, phone conversations, etc., its impossible to have quiet on a plane, I'm amazed that so many can hear Elmo over the snoring of the guy behind you.

There is no reason the volume of a DVD player can't be set so that only your son or daughter can hear it while watching even without using headphones. The DVD player is only 1.5 ft away on the tray anyways(or 2 inches when the seat in front of you is pushed back :confused3 ).

SoCalKDG said:
I just want to know where people are getting DVD players that have speakers that are loud enough for anyone to hear unless you are 3 feet away. :) .

Ours goes up pretty high..it's a panasonic. The few we've had to hear, seem to go pretty high too. I guess it's like my TV..it seems to be hard to hear close up..but when I move away from it, I swear I can hear it louder. On the flight I think I mentioned earlier, one row of seats had two kids listening, with a third child standing on his seat, looking over the seat in front of him, to watch the DVD. The person stuck in the window seat complained and they were told to turn it down so it could only be heard in their seats. They turned it off, and the mom had small puzzles for the kids to play with instead. I had printed out some of those paper puzzles (you had to get to Mickey without going into a dead end) that I shared with them. We talked to the grandma and showed her our headphones, and she said she would have them for the return trip. She told the kids, if they used the headphones, they could listen to it on the way home.

Well just to let you all know that I am going to be the rude parent on the flight to MCO from Detroit on July 3rd. My kids will be having a DVD player and WILL NOT be wearing headphones. If you don't want to hear the sounds on the airplane then I suggest that YOU bring ear plugs or headphones.

You might want to bring headphones just in case. On SW, they will ask you to turn the sound down, if someone complains. I take it you've tried to tell them, without headphones, no sound will come out, and it still didn't work :confused3 .

brymolmom said:
Thank you for that effective parenting lesson. Now for your reading lesson - I did indicate that we would do 'trial runs' at home first - but thanks for the suggestion.

And it is not for my benefit that I even bring the DVD player- I'd prefer not to have it at all - I'm very used to my kids behavior bad and good and since I love them - I only find it endearing. However, I do not expect those around me on an airplane to share these sentiments, so it is purely for their benefit that I even consider it. I have no problem entertaining (which does involve a lot of talking and playing and noise) and no problem disciplining inappropriate behavior of my children whenever and wherever it is called for (again, noise and disturbance for neighbors). And yes, I realize that 'in the old days' people did it without a DVD player. But why not attempt to use technology to make everyone's trip a little nicer? I do hope that no one using this argument in this post uses any technology at all - after all - people made due without headphones, music, laptops, gameboys, rolling luggage....for so long -why would you possibly need one?

Honestly, I'm just surprised. I really thought people would prefer the music. I have been proven wrong (unless enough 'yes' voters just haven't been responding).

The behaviour and music you find "endearing" many of us find enough to want to put people on the wing. IMHO when in a small space with lots of people, you do everything possible to be invisible--that includes any noise or odor. Children are not exempt, although a small amount of leeway should be given. Listening to Barney or "insert children's video name here" over and over is as annoying to most of us--even those with children--as if I played Metallica's "Enter Sandman" over and over would be to most others.

There is nothing wrong with using technology to it's fullest, as long as you aren't bothering others. Headphones should always be used with electronic devices, this includes Gameboys, laptops, and DVD/CD/Cassette players. As far rolling luggage--provided the user doesn't use one that won't fit in the bin in a manner to use the least amount of space--ie feet first, and is capable of lifting it without assistance and without worrying about hitting someone else with it while lifting it has no affect on other passengers safety and comfort, I don't see the problem.

On a recent flight I sat next to an endearing three year old and her mom. During the flight she colored in a coloring book. About two hours into the flight she got a bit bored with it, and her mom pulled out a childrens book and softly read to her for about twenty minutes, and then she went back to coloring. I'd sit next to a child like that any day. The noise level was minimal, even when the mom was reading. There is absolutely no reason to have more than a minimal level of noise while occupying your kids on a plane, as this mother proved.

Anne

hubermom3 said:

And when people complain to the FA, you WILL be told to use earphones or turn it off. It's actually the rule on most carriers. And when you refuse, you WILL be charged with interfering with a flight crew. Write to us from your FPC and let us know how things are.

Anne

SoCalKDG said:
I just want to know where people are getting DVD players that have speakers that are loud enough for anyone to hear unless you are 3 feet away. :)

We haven't used headphones the last two trips(I even had external speakers added one time) with our DVD player's and except for my daughter who was watching the movie, nobody else could hear a thing over the noise of the plane. She was in the middle seat and we also had the row behind us as well so we were certain of this.

When you throw in the noise of the captain every 10 minutes, people talking or walking by, flight attendants asking questions, phone conversations, etc., its impossible to have quiet on a plane, I'm amazed that so many can hear Elmo over the snoring of the guy behind you.

There is no reason the volume of a DVD player can't be set so that only your son or daughter can hear it while watching even without using headphones. The DVD player is only 1.5 ft away on the tray anyways(or 2 inches when the seat in front of you is pushed back :confused3 ).

Which puts it 1.5 feet or less from the heads of teh people in the row in front of you. That's the situation where I'd push my seat back so far that you wouldn't have the room to open the DVD player to watch. :rolleyes:

What would be so difficult about being considerate to everyone around you and using headphones?

Anne

WOW! Should have realized that when this thread got to the length that it did that there MUST be a problem! :sad2:

Let me remind everyone of something from the Guidelines for Posting which everyone agreed to when registering to post on the DIS:

We do not believe in censorship, and open discussions about various issues is encouraged. We ask that everyone conduct himself or herself with respect when speaking to other people. It is okay to disagree, as long as the discussion remains respectful of the feelings of others.

So PLEASE everyone, think before you post - "Is this post respectful ofthe feelings of my other DISsers?" And if not, then you want to reword things.

Last August, I flew to Columbus from Orlando (yes! I live here) on a smaller plane (held 50 people) and a gentleman was sitting in front of my boss & me with his young son, who was watching a DVD w/o headphones. After about 20 - 30 minutes, my boss politely asked him to turn it down; we could hear the movie clear as a bell.

I don't fly as much as I used to, but I started flying by myself at the age of 6 - from Phila to Tampa every summer to visit my mom & pop (grandparents). We didn't have all the gadgets in the '70s that they have today. I think I made due with a deck of cards, books, and of course, wings from the crew! :)

When flying everyone needs to be considerate to each other. It's a small space for all those people to be crammed in together.... :grouphug:

I think it boils down to consideration. I had a flight in January where a small child watched the same 15 minute cartoon over and over and over and over... loud enough that I could hear it over my DVD player (with headphones) and I was sitting two rows behind the kid. People complained but nothing ever happened. I can still recite that entire cartoon.

Here's a thought: Don't blast the Elmo and I won't listen to my adult comedies and dramas without headphones. Do you really want to explain Sex and the City or Deadwood to your 3 year old? (Just kidding folks- but seriously, if your kid doesn't have to wear headphones, why do I have to wear headphones or the person listening to death metal?)

Edited because spelling is a good thing.

SoCalKDG said:

I agree that the volume of the DVD player should be where only the kids that are using it can hear it. I have 3 kids that are 10, 7 & 3. Of course the 10 & 7 year old will be able to act appropriate without the DVD player but they also know that the thing doesn't need headphones to hear the volume. And since I have 3 kids they are all sitting and taking up one row with my husband and I in front of them and right now no one is in the window seat. So if my kids don't wear headphones then I really don't think it is that big of an issue.

If someone asks me to turn it down and it is at an unusally high level then I have no problem doing so with a warning to the kids that if it gets higher then it is tunred off. If someone is just being an a** then too bad.

brymolmom said:
Honestly, I'm just surprised. I really thought people would prefer the music. I have been proven wrong (unless enough 'yes' voters just haven't been responding).
Would I "prefer" Sesame Street to a screeching toddler? Yes. But that's not saying much - I "prefer" a trip to the dentist with only one cavity filling vs. two, but it's still not how I want to spend my afternoon.

They have splitters, so you can get all three hooked up to headphones (although we have two earphone plug ins..so maybe that's why all three grands can hear ours. . I would be more concerned about the people sitting behind them. If it's sitting between them, you will have to have the volumn up, so the kids on either side can hear...so it will be higher than if just the child in front of it needs to hear..and even higher, if you are need the engine.

So is someone an "a" if they don't like the noise? Or if you think it's low enough but they don't? I didn't quite understand that.

hubermom3 said:
I And since I have 3 kids they are all sitting and taking up one row with my husband and I in front of them and right now no one is in the window seat. So if my kids don't wear headphones then I really don't think it is that big of an issue.

If someone asks me to turn it down and it is at an unusally high level then I have no problem doing so with a warning to the kids that if it gets higher then it is tunred off. If someone is just being an a** then too bad.

Wow talk about entitlement mentality! My kids are watching a DVD and tough luck if you don't like it. I guess they won't be standing in line for the characters either. When you decide to live in a society you also agree to some rules to avoid chaos and considering others is one of them.

My children have flown alot from 6 weeks up and I always consider my first job is to keep them from interfering with others flights. Do I have a relaxing flight no but others do. I agree with the poster who said we don't expect enough out of our kids. The rule should be simple headphones or don't use it. Don't kick the seat! talk quietly ,etc. This rule also applies to adults!

Hearing someones dvd player or computer whatever on flight is the worse. I don't care if you are a child or a adult I do not want to hear what you are watching get headphones. If your kid has no clue how to wear headphones then turn it down so I cannot hear it. If I can still hear it I will complain multiple times until the headphones are on or the dvd player is shut off. Yes that might be rude but it is also rude of you to assume the whole flight wants to hear your childs movie. Just because you want to have the dvd player on without headphones doesn't mean I am required to wear my headphones just to not hear the racket. I guess all of those people that want the dvd player on without headphones probably do not want to fly with me!

Trying not to get all judgmental, just throwing out facts

1) It isn't "just music." I know some of you might not find it annoying, but there are lots of people around you that will find it hugely distracting. It's not a choice; it's not an option; that's just the way it is

2) No, there is no magic sound level that allows your kids to hear the DVD but is silent for all the people around you. Unless your kids have superbionic hearing, if they can hear it, I can hear it.

3) If your plan to entertain your kids on the plane is to have the DVD player annoy your fellow travelers, understand that they will complain to you, and if you don't do anything about it, they will complain to the FA's. You may want another plan.

4) Kids can watch movies, listen to music and play videogames through headphones. Really. And you can put three headphones into one DVD player.

5) If for some reason you don't want to use headphones, kids can watch a movie without sound. If nothing else, turn on the close captioning and get them some reading practice.

Some facts from the other side:

1) My post was about 'just music' since I mentioned that the only video I would allow my kids without headphones would be Baby Mozart or Baby Bach - classical music - no annoying Elmo voice, etc.
2) I think some of the posters think that some of the parents are not being considerate - when some of us (at least me) is trying to be exactly that. I'm talking about the lesser of two evils - a quiet Mozart or reminding a child a thousand times about plane behaviour. My estimates are I'll have to remind my 2 year old about 'not kicking the seat in front' about 10 times with a video on and about 200 times without it on - the video will just distract better and for longer. Yes, I have other things to distract and entertain - but for the person in front of us - is it better to have that kicking 190 more times?? I'm trying to find the most considerate way to keep my kids 'out of sight and earshot' of other passengers throughout as much of the flight as possible.
3) No - I don't think I should be entitled to no headphones while others have to use them. And I can and (based on this thread) will likely not allow my kids to use the DVD without them. It just means less of a distraction for the kids. But I guess, less of a distraction for the people around us. I think it's all about looking at the alternatives.

brymolmom, my comments were not actually directed at you but to those parents that have a "tough luck, them's the breaks, my kid can do whatever he wants because I say so and if you don't like it, you should drive to your destination to avoid my children and it's not my problem, it's yours" attitude. I think it's incredibly thoughtful of you to even pose the question on this or any bulletin board.

For what it's worth, I like classical musc and hearing it playing in the background would be kind of nice. But that's me.

RickinNYC said:
brymolmom, my comments were not actually directed at you but to those parents that have a "tough luck, them's the breaks, my kid can do whatever he wants because I say so and if you don't like it, you should drive to your destination to avoid my children and it's not my problem, it's yours" attitude. I think it's incredibly thoughtful of you to even pose the question on this or any bulletin board.

For what it's worth, I like classical musc and hearing it playing in the background would be kind of nice. But that's me.

Thanks RickinNYC - I'm just trying to make the distinction that not all of us parents of young children are 'you need to make exceptions because I have kids'. In fact, I'm guessing that many of the others aren't really like that either - just getting their anger up and reacting.

Overall - there are problably just as many rude people of all sorts on planes - single, couples, families - rudeness does not confine itself to one type of person.

I didn't want you NYC'ers to think we upstaters are all rude! :goodvibes Besides - you never know if/when we'll end up on a plane together - we often need to transfer down there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter