Port Orleans, where's it best to stay?

eyoreaud

<font color=peach>Who? Us? Nosey? NEVER!<br><font
Hi Everyone,

We're thinking about staying at the PO and we just wondered if it's best to stay at the (old) Dixie site or the Port Orleans site, 2 Adults and one dd 11 years old, Any info most welcome,

Luv Audrey,
xxxxxxxxxx:wave:

P.S Was thinking of staying at CB resort to start with but recently found out that it's closed for refurbishment when we'll br there (anyone know if this is true?)(29th Nov- 14th Dec) ta ta ;)

Never stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter (Old Port Orleans Resort), but have stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside Restort (Old Dixie Landings).

The POR resort has two distinct section - Aligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend. The Aligator Bayou is quite rustic in its theming; set in some lovely 'deep south' landscaping. The Magnolia Bend buildings are based on plantation style mansions.

We stayed in the Aligator Bayou and find it very quiet and peaceful. There are a number of 'quiet pools' amongst the resort buildings and a main pool in the centre of the resort called Ol' Man Island. The main pool has a water slide.

The building we had was number 14, which is the closest to the food court and main building. Ideal for getting the early morning coffee in the refilable resort mugs :). It was also close to the main bus deepo.

We found the food court at POR superb, with plenty of choice and it never seemed crowded.

Another vote for building 14 in AB! Great for those early morning darts to the FC to get drinks, muffins, toast etc before heading off. I don't think would be as practical from most of the other locations as the walk, whilst very nice, would be too far to be bothered, especially if you were down in PO.

Building 14 is a 2 minute walk from a quiet pool, which we found really was "qiuet" although we also used the main pool a lot as it was so good, especially the slide which DD loved.

I think it depends on what theming you'd prefer for this trip - I have stayed at POFQ and being a much smaller resort it had a tranquil, restful air about it. It is also quite an elegant resort. However, I also love the quite different atmosphere of the CBR - a resort which is similar in size to the Riverside.

We stayed in Building 5 at POFQ - either 5 or 2 are very well situated for all the amenities ( as you'll see on this map )

I'd really check out the theming and amenities and you'll probably get a feel for which you'd prefer. I'd be happy to stay in any of them ( can you tell I'm getting withdrawal symptoms ;) ?) !!

Hi,

I agree with everyone else that this is down to personal preference. I have stayed in Riverside a few times and French quarter once and enjoyed them both.

Frech Quarter:-
The pool is great - I loved the waterslide and the theming and the poolside bar.
I really enjoyed Bonfamilles (now gone) and Scat Cat lounge (is that still there?)I preferred the food court in FQ to the one at Riverside.
The bus service seemed better we always got seats on the buses - when they got to Riverside they were quite often standing room only at busy times (or full) and we always got dropped off first on the way back.
You are always close to the food court even in the building furthest away - in Riverside you can be quite a way from the foodcourt/reception etc.
The whole resort feels more intimate and is very pleasant. The only down side is that our room was quite noisy -3rd floor - and it was the plumbing and A/C that made the noise.

Riverside
I love the look of the elegant buildings and strolling around the resort or hiring a surrey bike.
The buildings are only 2 storeys - not as many stairs at the end of a long day.
I couldn't stand the bar 'entertainment' - this is a personal thing, but they had a bloke in singing and playing the piano most nights - it was very poular and very loud - this carries down into the foodcourt and Boatwrights - most people loved it, but for me it was too Chas n Dave and there was no escaping it! :rolleyes:
You can be a long way from reception, main pool and foodcourts - this has advantages and disadvantages, but with kids I would say chose your room location carefully.

Both resorts are wonderful and I definitely prefer them to CBR - catching the boat to Downtown Disney on my first night there has become a ritual - and best of all its free.

The only other thing I would add is IMHO it isn't worth upgrading to Riverview room in either resort - you don't have a balcony and you can walk around the buildings to look at the view.

You will have a great time wherever you stay.

:Pinkbounc

I personally prefer Riverside. It's a really beautiful resort and it now has the added advantage of still having the restaurant if you fancy something more than the foodcourt can offer. The foodcourt is also excellent, though, with lots of seating and a wide variety of choice. Another benefit to Riverside is the fact it has more than one bus stop, so you should usually have one fairly handy for your room and not always have to hike over to the main area. We stayed in Magnolia Terrace, in Magnolia Bend (which is the plantation style mansions bit) and it was a great location, everything was an easy walk.

If you want a quiet room that isnt too far from the a Pool try a River View room in Building one in the French Qtr.

You get lovely views of the river and golf course but its really quiet so you can drag you chairs out into the walkway and almost have a private balcony ! :D

We stayed there on out last trip and thought it was fantastic, also its nice and close to the dock for the boats to Downtown Disney.

Drop me a line if you want some photos.

WOW!

Thanx to everyone for all your wonderful replies, will have to get DH to read all of these and then make up our minds.

:bounce: You've all been a great help and i appreciate it very much.

Luv Audrey,
xxxxxxxxxx:) :) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter