Port Orleans Riverside Review - A solo's perspective

RazorFace83

Mouseketeer
Well, I guess it's finally time I gave you an in-depth review on my recent stay at Disney's Port Orleans Resort Riverside (Feb 9-14). First off, I was the only one traveling as this was my first ever solo-trip, which by the way was fantastic!
And well the resort didn't disappoint at all, I was very happy here! Now I'm not saying it was by all means perfect, there were some issues ( very minor issues that I'll get into later) but that was not a big deal.

Arrival:
IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

I did a split stay ( 4 nights at the Yacht Club/ 5 nights here) ,checked in around 2:00 pm and was told that my room was ready. I had only one request (to be in bld. 14) which was met, no problems. So I was on my way thru the back door and..."Wow! This place looks NICE!" I thought. This place is so calm, peacful...and beautiful, I love the good ole' Southern Bayou theme!
IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

My trek to my room wasn't very far either, so that was a plus. Just a short walk past the riverside mill foodcourt.
IMG_0850.jpg

Here we are, building 14:
IMG_0851.jpg

Almost there...
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

This was my view from the outside:
IMG_0606.jpg

...and from the inside:
IMG_0607.jpg

And now for the room, it was awsome two full beds and a trundle all mine! bwahahahah! Seriously though, room was fine, spacious (duhhh...), well -themed and best of all clean, just the way I like it! By the way, the chip and dale plush toys are mine, I just put them there next to the towel critter!:goodvibes
IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Bathroom area:
IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Stay tuned for Pt 2...

More pics from my room( because you know you want it!);)

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Here's the trundle bed...
IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

Ol' Man Island pool, I didn't get to swim at this pool ( 5 nights ain't enough...)
but it looked like fun!
IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

I decided to take a little stroll and capture a few more pics of the resort's beautiful grounds...

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Part 3 coming soon...

Here is the last set of pics of POR's landscape. Everything here seem well maintained and you would eventually spot a few maintenance/gardeners doing thier jobs, but that didn't seem to distract me at all.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

One downside about this resort is yes, it is huge. And sadly, not everyone will get to be staying at the building as I was. So its definitley recommended that you try and request at least AB section builds. 14,15,16,17 or 18 if you hate to walk a long way just for your drink re-fills, etc. But this section I notice was that it donesn't have elevators,only the mansions. Thats why, its best to plan accordingly to you and your family's specific needs.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Transportation was well...not the best IMO. It wasn't BAD but I'm sure it could've been better. Since we share next to POFQ we're always the last to be picked up (and if you happen to be in East Depot..forget about it.) The closest Bus stop from my room was the South Depot, this can be both good and bad. Good because you'll be the first one to get picked/dropped up/off before the rest of other 3 Depots. And Bad because in the mornings, EVERYBODY seemed to mob the South Depot to hit the parks. Although that may sound terrible, rest assured there is a CM manager keeping tabs on the buses' schedules with his/her walki talki handy!

Going to Downtown Disney by boat has got to be one of the most relaxing, carefree experience I have ever been. To me it's like a attraction of it's own
and your captain can sometimes point out all the neat things you may come by along the way.
IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

It started to pour by the time we stopped at FQ...
IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

but then like magic, it cleared up!
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

Coming back:
IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

To be Continued...

*Phew!* Finally the conclusion of my review! Well not quite, I do have a few
things to add about entertainment. Please make time to catch Piano Bob! That guy is hilarious! He can draw quite a crowd so be sure to get there early since seating is extremely limited. I've watched him standing at the hallway to Boatwright's without a problem though. Speaking of Boatwrights, well can't comment about that since I havn't dined there. As for the Riverside Mill food court, meh... just like any other disney resort food court IMO. Food was Okay ( Delicious,if your starving) and service was pretty good too.

All in all, I felt that this was a very good Moderate resort to stay in and I couldn't be happier with the service I got. Thank You all who stopped by and read this dreadfully long review. Oh yes, if you have any ?'s, ask away and I'll get back to ya asap! Right now I'm Going to sleep!

P.S. To those who qualify: Happy Mother's Day!

WOW! What great photos!! Makes me miss the place! :teeth:

I am VERY surprised to read you got Building 14 as a solo!! What is your secret?? ;) I no longer stay at POR, since both times I was solo there, I was placed in the farthest mansion Parterre Place in the farthest parking lot corner. I was actually feeling lonely and isolated there, which is the exact opposite I want on a solo trip! It would have changed my whole trip to actually have a well-located room at POR. I would have done anything to get AB, or to even get a closer mansion! But alas, I was never so lucky, so I quit trying POR for now. Hope you enjoyed that wonderful room you got there! :)

WOW! What great photos!! Makes me miss the place! :teeth:

I am VERY surprised to read you got Building 14 as a solo!! What is your secret?? ;) I no longer stay at POR, since both times I was solo there, I was placed in the farthest mansion Parterre Place in the farthest parking lot corner. I was actually feeling lonely and isolated there, which is the exact opposite I want on a solo trip! It would have changed my whole trip to actually have a well-located room at POR. I would have done anything to get AB, or to even get a closer mansion! But alas, I was never so lucky, so I quit trying POR for now. Hope you enjoyed that wonderful room you got there! :)

LOL funny you should say that! As I have said, I did a split stay between the Yacht Club and Port Orleans Riverside. The room they assigned me at the YC was at one of the most awful , farthest locations there can be. I believe someone here stated it as "the armpit section" . The View? Pure Ugly, took one look from the inside and that was it. I had it shut with curtains the rest of my stay. Don't get me wrong, the YC is a fabulous resort, its just the room assignment part is where i wasn't so lucky(plus, the whole place was booked solid because of a buisness convention they had)...Not in POR though! Guess it all comes down to luck of the draw. Oh yes, I very did enjoy my room all by meself! It was great!:thumbsup2

Great pictures. :yay: :yay:
I can't wait to go in September.:woohoo: :woohoo:
It seems like you had a great time.

Just wanted to say I love the pictures you took! And I agree, 5 nights is just not enough! :upsidedow

I love your pics! I'm looking forward to reading and seeing more, and I can't wait to see for myself in November!

Great review. Loved the pictures. I think the boat to DTD is one of its best aspects. FYI, there is a bus person over at POFQ in the AM too. The buses que up in the parking lot of building 7. When one fills up at POFQ, she tells them to send one to POR.

:thumbsup2

Thanks for the review... We love this resort and seeing your pictures makes me cry:sad2: :sad2: It is hard to believe it will be 9 months until I see this lovely place again!!! I'm very glad you liked this resort, it often lately is getting bad reviews for being so big. If you have the time to take it all in, it is actually beautiful. We discovered Bob a couple of trips ago and we love him and so do the kids. We never get there early (we try) and end up watching him from the bar area or the hall. He really is fantastic and worth standing to watch him perform.

love the pictures! as far as the room request goes, did you request that building when you made your reservation or did you request it closer to your check in date? I was thinking about trying to request a particular building in AB too but wasn't sure how to go about doing that.

love the pictures! as far as the room request goes, did you request that building when you made your reservation or did you request it closer to your check in date? I was thinking about trying to request a particular building in AB too but wasn't sure how to go about doing that.

hello cepmom :wave2: Yes,I've requested it when I've made the reservation online about a couple of months prior to my arrival. When I did arrived, the CM at the front desk notified me about the request and said it has been met!

Thank you so much for posting all of the great pics. We were at POR in Nov and just loved it there. These pics took me back (I'm probably going to look at them again tomorrow). Glad to hear you had a nice trip and thanks again for posting the pics. :flower3:

What are some of your fav things about traveling solo? I've thought about it but haven't done it yet. :)

Thank you so much for posting all of the great pics. We were at POR in Nov and just loved it there. These pics took me back (I'm probably going to look at them again tomorrow). Glad to hear you had a nice trip and thanks again for posting the pics. :flower3:

What are some of your fav things about traveling solo? I've thought about it but haven't done it yet. :)

I'll be honest and say that I was a little nervous at first...but then it's not like I've never been to WDW before, I knew my way around and it felt great to be your own boss. To do whatever I wanted to do, whenever. Dining solo was not so bad either (although I must admit, some guests would occasionally look at me while I was devouring the canyon skillet from WCC alone, but I didn't care! It's my solo vacation gosh darnit!And I;m giong to enjoy it!), Granted, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I for one would recommend a solo at least once!:thumbsup2

Thanks so much for the breathtaking pix!!!! It brings back such good memories but also makes me a little homesick for my fav resort. Please post more if you have them!

Wonderful pictures!! Thanks for sharing- it takes me back to our trip last August!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter